Darned if I do, Darned if I don't!

Options
Having a really tough time making myself eat. My doctor just took me off of a medication that made me gain a lot of weight and since he took me off of it, my appetite is gone and the weight is falling off. What I'm afraid of is my metabolism slowing and gaining the weight back and bringing friends with it. I am the poster child of yo-yo dieting. I am in an emotional/mental struggle now, elated to not have a ravenous appetite and thrilled to see the scale dropping but fearing what the future holds. I'm also scared to eat more than I am currently eating (about 600 calories a day) for fear of stopping the weight loss. I want to start exercising too but know that it's probably not a good idea with the few calories I'm taking in but I'm scared to upset the apple cart. Argh!!

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Come on you're a smart woman! You know that 600 cals isn't good for you.... IF you don't start eating right then the 600 cals aren't going to keep you losing. You're going to screw your metabolism even more. Eat well no lower than 1200. Stick with it and it may surprise you.

You know that the longer you deprive your body then you're going to have to pay for it in the long run. :) Come on eat something would ya? :)
  • costewar
    costewar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    600 calories is way too little energy just to sit all day long. You may be losing weight, but it's probably mostly muscle loss, not fat loss.

Start scheduling when and what you're going to eat, so that you know you are getting enough calories in, no less than 1200 a day. If you're going to exercise, eat more than this. Exercising is going to speed up your metabolism (so long as you are replenishing your energy back to a minimum of 1200 calories), and you will definitely see better results than dieting alone.

Good luck to you!
  • tlaustin71
    tlaustin71 Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree. Six hundred cals are wayy too low to keep your metabolism strong.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    start sneaking cals in. Have an avocado in a sandwich (about 200 cals for a whole one) some almonds or a drink of milk. there are lil things you can do that will increase you cals and allow you to eat as you are now. (if you are comfortable with that) But I bet a few others have some awesome advice. I am still a noobie.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    You know that if you don't eat at least twice what you're currently eating, the weight loss will stop anyways. Not only that, but your metabolism will slow and your body will go into starvation mode, meaning that you'll start storing more fat and then when you finally do start eating healthy again you will DEFINITELY gain before you lose because your body will be used to having to keep fat stores. On top of that, 600 calories is not enough to sustain LIFE, much less activities.

Eat more, do it healthily. Your body will thank you.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start drinking ensures to get your nutrients/calories in until your appetite comes back. I would also contact your doctor and let them know what is going on. This is probably just a side affect...your body has to catch up to the change, but to be sure talk to your doctor.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I would try to get up there, at least over 1000, if not higher (what ever MFP recommends for you).

Since your not very hungry, try eating healthy but more calorie rich foods. Like nuts, avocado, peanut butter etc.