Running Shoes

Options
dantram1
dantram1 Posts: 15 Member
Okay, please give me some advice on runners. What brands would you recommend? Do you have a different pair for running/weight lifting, ect? Also how long do you generally keep your running shoes before getting a fresh pair?

Thanks!

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    dantram1 wrote: »
    Okay, please give me some advice on runners. What brands would you recommend? Do you have a different pair for running/weight lifting, ect? Also how long do you generally keep your running shoes before getting a fresh pair?

Thanks!

The brand that's made for your foot and stride. This will be different for everyone.

I wear Chucks for lifting and Mizunos for running. I don't run a lot so I don't have to replace mine as often as someone who does, but I think it's around 500 miles they'd need to be replaced. Don't quote me on that.
  • heidim44444
    heidim44444 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to go to the running store and get fit professionally. Each brand has shoes for people that suppinate or pronate, who need stability or not, etc. So it really depends on how you walk/run, how many miles you are going to run per week and if you are overweight or not. A running store can help you with all of that.

After you get fit for the shoes, for your next pair you can shop online to get a deal. I find myself replacing shoes after 200-300 miles, but many people get more mileage out of them than me. I keep track of the mileage of my shoes on Nike+ running.

I need another pair for cross-training, but I do not have them now. I can tell my running shoes don't cut it for side to side motions.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I put about 300-400 miles on a pair of shoes. I have crazy feet, but I HATE stability shoes. I wear Neutral Performance shoes. Currently enjoying Altra Intuition and Skechers GoRUN 4. I rotate between 2 different shoes all the time. I've been a big Brooks PureFlow fan until the 3rd iteration...they were too narrow in the toe box for me.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You should go to a shoe store specifically for runners or triathletes. They will watch you run and recommend a few pairs of shoes that are made specifically for the way you run.

I have also worn Mizunos almost exclusively but that's because they fit me well.

Running shoes should be replaced every 300-500 miles. You can usually tell when it's time because they lose their "spring" and/or you might notice an ache in a knee or ankle that isn't usually there. When this happens it's amazing how great a new pair of shoes feel. You can really tell the difference.

For lifting I use an old pair of Mizunos that I wore for running.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Go to a shoe store that does fitting for running shoes. Every brand has a little bit different arch support, width, and sizes available. Here are some good tips for buying shoes:

http://www.fleetfeetbonneylake.com/resources-events/10-tips-for-buying-running-shoes

Shoes are good for 400 - 500 miles. Here is a good article:

http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/how-long-before-you-have-to-change-running-shoes/

Personally I will only wear Asics to run and I only wear them to run. Every spring I get a new pair and use the old pair for the gym.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Really depends on what is comfortable for you. I don't run a lot, and I've found that my Saucony Kinvaras are a good general workout shoe for me. Comfortable when running or when doing a general workout.

Hit a good store where they will help you out for fit, check stride and so forth.
  • dantram1
    dantram1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    great responses, thanks guys! Im going to check out my local running room and get fitted.
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just replaced my runners. They are still in reasonably good shape. Made it through two years. I maintain my shoes very well because I'm a sneakerhead. Lol. Nike flyknit. They aren't going to hold up for a long run anymore, but great for gym days and walking or kicking around.

Bought the Nike Free 5.0 to run in. They're exclusively for running right now.

I run in my shoes until I know to replace them. It's hard to explain, but I just know. It's like the insoles don't recover anymore; my foot feels like there's nothing between it and the ground.

Expecting to have to replace these more quickly than the last. I was running about 15 km a week before, but I'm doing at least 25 km a week now.

Edit: wanted to add that I bought them at a sporting goods warehouse. I pretty much knew already they were the ones for me, but the associate suggested I lace them up and do a lap around the department. It was short, but confirmed my choice.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should get fitted by a professional for your running shoes. In addition, you should only wear your running shoes for running.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted...they can analyze your gate and you can also discuss any other foot issues and/or preferences with them and they can recommend you the appropriate shoe. For example, I'm a supinator so I need a neutral shoe...and I also need quite a bit of cushion because I have other foot issues...the good people at my local running store were able to recommend me Brooks Ghost...they were ok, but I was still having issues so I returned the shoes and tried Brooks Glycerin which are slightly more narrow in the tow box and have more cushion...perfect.

Getting properly fitted is far more important than the brand.
  • tommyt37
    tommyt37 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    6'3 200 like shoes with good heel cushin. Nike Vomero 8 and adidas energy boost worked for me
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I wear Asics GT-2000 running shoes (stability shoes).

I only wear them running and I track how many miles I run (I use the notepad on my phone and jot down my daily mileage). Every so often I tally up the miles... when I hit 400 miles, I start on a new pair. Although, I save my older shoes for running outside. I figure they are still good for another 100 miles.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I sound like a broken record but go get fitted properly. Spend the money on a good pair of shoes that work for your needs.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a good running store; if you don't feel the person fitting you is knowledgeable, go somewhere else.

Don't use your "running" shoes for walking about. The foam will just compress faster and won't have a chance to recover before your runs.

I wear my running shoes until they are ready to be replaced and then some of them become kick about walking shoes; others I donate to a charity organized by local running shops that sanitizes them and provides them to the poor and homeless.

How often should you keep them depends on your body weight, running style, and where, how far, and how often you run. In other words, there's a big variation person to person. I've got 401.4km on my current pair and the foam is noticably compressed in areas of the forefoot, but not yet at the point where I need to stop using them. What I'll probably do is pick up a new pair in another 100-200km (2-4 weeks roughly) and then I'll use the older pair for trail running only until they are totally blown, the newer for pavement.

Good shoes are a small investment in an improved me, I have no problem with it.

PS: If you are wondering how I know the distance on my shoes, some fitness apps allow you to track this (Strava, Garmin Connect are what I use, they feed to MFP too); if your's doesn't have a "gear" notation capability, just create a file on Google Docs on your computer or phone with the date and your mileage to that date when you put them in service so you can later check back.