Calorie Goal Changed On Its Own?

Options
Goldmania
Goldmania Posts: 4 Member
My caloric intake limit is 1200 per day. No issue for about a week. I put my new (decreased) weight in this morning and though it still says my goal is 1200 calories, my food diary gives me a 1520 calorie limit. I don't know what happened or how to fix it! I tried re-entering my goals and stuff, but nothing different happens. Is this normal when you record that you're losing weight?

Replies

• harrisdeutsch
    harrisdeutsch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    if you add calories from exercise the calories will show the new total. for instance 1200 plus 320 from cycling..New total would be 1520.
  • scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    losing weight gives you less. Could it be exercise calories added?
  • kittykarin
    kittykarin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you lose a certain amount of weight (like every 10 pounds, i think), it will ask you if you want to recalculate your goals... Do you think you hit yes but accident and it recalculated? I did that once before. You have to just go in and reset your goals manually to be 1200 calories per day.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up so you can lose weight without exercise (not everyone can, after all). Your calorie goal includes the 500 calories/day/pound of weight lost/week. Therefore, if you exercise it gives you extra calories to maintain the goal calorie deficit for the day.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Did you manually change your goal to 1200 calories initially? If so, when you lost it adjusted your calorie intake to reflect what you should be consuming at your new weight. It happened to me one time before I knew what I was doing. MFP told me that I could eat 2450 calories a day (at one point in time) and still lose 2 lbs/week. I didn't believe it so I manually set mine for 1800 calories. When I lost like 10 lbs, it asked if I wanted MFP to readjust and when it did, it set it at like 2300 or something.

Basically, if you're setting your own intake too low, MFP must override it?? I learned a long time ago that I CAN eat those calories and still lose though, so I hope you're not setting yours too low to try and lose more faster.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I know for a fact that I did not change mine and my base calories (before exercise) have updated on its own!

Never mind! It just looks different from before, but is still set at 1200.
  • tobin1
    tobin1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i just went in and set my , I had it at 1200 and with workouts it was around 1500 . I want to loose weight and it suggesting now that I eat around 1800 calories, will I really loose with eating that many calories. At first I assumed fewer calories and dont eat extras but i must be WRONG.......any help
  • harrisdeutsch
    harrisdeutsch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    on a related note, i don't count all the exercise calories given by either MFP or my gym's equipment. I picked 80% for a number I go by. ..And i don't have to eat all of them especially after a long cycle class. on my first go with MFP, i felt i needed to eat all the "earned exercise calories". I not only did that but I ate tooooo many more, leading to my Finding 10 of the 40 pounds I lost.