Advice on getting lean

Options
I'm looking for advice on shredding
I am 5ft 3 and weigh 8.5stone I know I am not overweight in anyway but I am looking to be as lean as possible.
My goal is to get my bf from 18% to around 15%
Does anybody have any tips for this.
Eg adding more cardio to my routine.
Is high carb or high fats better?

Thankyou :)

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    At 18%, it seems like the most likely way is to increase lean mass rather than losing fat per se.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to be as lean as possible?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Unless you're qualified to diagnose over the internet, why does it matter?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Unless you're qualified to diagnose over the internet, why does it matter?

Curious..... I've done it enough times to know it's not something I'd do just for the sake of it. It's not very fun....
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I don't think more cardio is the option as it may make it harder to retain existing muscle if you do too much.

I would suggest a heavy lifting strength training routine (Starting strength, strong lifts, strong curves, or new rules of lifting) add in some cardio, but not enough to impact recovery. Get adequate protein (0.8-1.0 grams per lb of lean body mass) and maintain a small deficit (TDEE -10ish%, or if using MFP's intake set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week)
  • Becka_x
    Becka_x Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just for my own personal goals once I have achieved the goals I have set myself I will be happy. I know it's not a bf percentage I can stay at constantly.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    15% body fat is really low for women. Unless you're into competitive body building, that's very unlikely to happen. And if you get down that low, be aware that you may have all sorts of side effects including loss of period, future fertility issues, system shutdowns, etcetera.

In other words, kids, don't try this at home.
  • Becka_x
    Options

Thankyou.. Great advice.
    I have been trying to do 20mins HITT sessions at the end of strength training but maby I'm just not pushing myself hard enough to lift heavier.
    Thankyou again
    erickirb wrote: »
    I don't think more cardio is the option as it may make it harder to retain existing muscle if you do too much.

I would suggest a heavy lifting strength training routine (Starting strength, strong lifts, strong curves, or new rules of lifting) add in some cardio, but not enough to impact recovery. Get adequate protein (0.8-1.0 grams per lb of lean body mass) and maintain a small deficit (TDEE -10ish%, or if using MFP's intake set your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week)

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just for my own personal goals once I have achieved the goals I have set myself I will be happy. I know it's not a bf percentage I can stay at constantly.

So it's just to see what you'd look like at 15% BF?
    I don't think it's that easy, so good luck with that!
    I personally think women generally tend to look better at anything from 18%-32% BF, but that's just my opinion. ;)
    I'm about 26% BF, which isn't bad for my age.
    But i couldn't imagine what i'd look like at 15%!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    This thread has a lot of great information about trying to get leaner:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

In fact, just try looking up all of what @stroutman81 has to say about this, it's very informative.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Based on your profile, your goal also seems to be to go from a healthy weight to an underweight BMI.

It's one thing to want to build muscles. It's quite another to want to get yourself to a point where you're so thin that you don't have the vital and necessary body fat to keep yourself going.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Based on your profile, your goal also seems to be to go from a healthy weight to an underweight BMI.

It's one thing to want to build muscles. It's quite another to want to get yourself to a point where you're so thin that you don't have the vital and necessary body fat to keep yourself going.

Essential fat on a woman is in the 10-12% range, so going to 15%, though lean, should not pose any health risks if done properly (not starving oneself and becoming malnourished)
  • Becka_x
    Options
    This thread has a lot of great information about trying to get leaner:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

In fact, just try looking up all of what @stroutman81 has to say about this, it's very informative.
    Thankyou i had a look and it made a lot of sense :)