Boredom Eating

Options
2»

Replies

• dallpruitt
    dallpruitt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat I can work out that day and stay within my food plan all day. Then I fall to sleep at night and wake up with this crazy feeling that I have to eat threw my sleep and sometime I'm un aware untill the next morning how much I have snacked threw the night bc I was half sleep the whole time I was getting up to eat something.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When it hits, get up and move.

Yep.

:drinker:

And if it's late at night that the urges hit - turn the damn TV off and go to sleep!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I know what boredom eating is like you will just be chillen and relaxing. All of sudden you want to eat something or you want to just be doing something.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's also habit eating. It's a lot easier to add a new habit than to try and resist the old. Lots of good ideas here. I also have to keep my hands busy.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Honest I get that way before bed time. I just tell myself that it will pass. But I know what you mean.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Some days I can let the feeling pass, others not so much. I went through a mega munching phase last month and kept air-popped popcorn around to keep me busy.
  • lucybulldozer
    lucybulldozer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Have you tried chewing gum or brushing your teeth? The minty taste will stop you from eating and chewing gum could cure boredem. It works for me.
  • daronjd
    daronjd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to be observant of your triggers. What I mean is, notice that you feel like eating. Notice what you feel in your body. And notice why. Give yourself the freedom to open the fridge and pantry while asking yourself, "Am I hungry? Or am I bored?" If you are truly hungry, eat! If you are bored, ask yourself, "What is something satisfying that I could do instead?" Focus on your breathing and acknowledge that it is just a feeling and it will pass.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Some days I can let the feeling pass, others not so much. I went through a mega munching phase last month and kept air-popped popcorn around to keep me busy.

I do that too. I also will eat celery or carrots something that takes a while to chew
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I get this while watching tv in the evenings. It is my unwind time. I get mints and sugar free suckers. It is enough not to go over calories but keeps my mouth busy. :o
  • loganrandy69
    loganrandy69 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth every time you want to eat out of boredom. Its something to do, there's no downside, and for me its both a physical and psychological barrier to eating. Physical, because it makes many of the binge foods taste bad (chocolate and tooth paste? No Thanks.), and psychological because you don't want to "dirty" up your "just cleaned" teeth.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You can crochet to keep the hands busy. That's what I do when I want to just relax at the end of the day. And a bonus is you can make stuff to donate like baby blankets or hats/booties for local hospitals.
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    drink water. squirt some mio or other water enhancer into it to give it some flavor without the calories. i am at a desk all day surrounded by snacks and unhealthy foods in the cafeteria so it takes a lot of will power! i know the water enhancers are probably loaded with fake sugars and other chemicals but you get a little flavor and the water can fill you up if you're not truly hungry.
  • LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When it hits, get up and move.
    Yep. That's the only thing that works for me!

• serasmommy
    serasmommy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It helps me to come on here and read posts and reply to some.
    This is why I'm here right now!
  • cleyran
    cleyran Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh man boredom eating is my downfall; I just go on autopilot and stare into the fridge or pantry. Whenever I get the urge I have a glass of water or a cup of tea or some fruit (grapes work great for me) and that usually helps.