How do I calculate towing my kids on my bike?

Options
How do I calculate a bike ride while towing my kids in a 'rider' that weighs like 30lbs with two kids inside making it around 90lbs total? I use the Running (jogging), training, pushing a wheelchair choice. I have no idea how to start with this kind of calculation. Any help is very much appreciated!!! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    One thing you can do manually is to use a different calculator to add the extra weight to your body weight and then enter in that number rather than letting MFP calculate for you. You'll get into the ball park with it.
  • HeatherWasHere
    HeatherWasHere Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will give that a try. I appreciate the suggestion. :smiley:
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Maybe add 10 or 20%? Pulling kids isn't always more difficult - once you are at speed, on the flats it isn't like the weight is 90 pounds more difficult. I tend to be conservative about exercise calories burned myself.

On the hills however... been there, done that. We became a one car family for many years and tried to never drive the one we had; bought a tandem when the oldest outgrew the trailer and Burley Piccolo and then I pulled either the trailer and then later the burley Piccolo (like a "trail a bike"). Was fun for the kids, but all uphill from their school to home!
  • HeatherWasHere
    Options
    Thank you for the info. It's not all flat...and I'm out of shape...so I'm panting pretty hard the first 15 minutes. LOL.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'd just log the biking, and extra burn is a bonus.
  • HeatherWasHere
    Options
    Dang it, y'all! ha ha. I thought it was going to be burning much more. I mean, I'm struggling out there! I come back in totally red faced, sweating with my thighs on FIRE!
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would use MapMyRide or Strava for cycling and use the total weight in the profile on there. You can link it to automatically transfer the workout to MFP. Just make sure you don't leave it at the higher weight when you don't have the trailer or you will be inaccurate.
  • HeatherWasHere
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    I would use MapMyRide or Strava for cycling and use the total weight in the profile on there. You can link it to automatically transfer the workout to MFP. Just make sure you don't leave it at the higher weight when you don't have the trailer or you will be inaccurate.

That's a great idea!!!! Thank you so much!