Does anyone have this scale?

Options
uvi5
uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
I'm going to Walmart today to return the vivofit (garmin). And I am purchasing measuring tape (for size change) and a good scale. Do these body fat % scales work effectively enough to make it worth the purchase? The price is good, under 30 bucks. Also, I can return it (in store) 15 days. Thought I'd try this out.

I'm having great success with my kitchen scale http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozeri-Touch-II-Digital-Kitchen-Scale-with-Microban-Antimicrobial-Product-Protection-18-lbs-Capacity/35931431

I did not like the garmin activity tracker (I find it unnecessary for my needs). It's quirky and so is Garmin Connect. I will just continue with my workouts and just eat back 50 to 75 percent of what the Mfp database gives for exercise (been working great so far)

But, thought since I am going into my second month weight training that a body fat scale may be fun to have. Any ideas from users of this type of scale. Also, aside from tape measure and the kitchen scale (that I am already using) what other devices have any of you used or are using that you find make the size down journey more fun and helpful?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Etekcity-High-Precision-0.2lb-5kg-200kg-11lb-440lb-Digital-Bathroom-Body-Fat-Scale-Fat-WaterBones-Muscles-Calorie-and-BMI-Value-Smart-Step-on/43268102

Replies

• geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Body fat measurements on a scale will not be very accurate. They can give you an idea, but they reading can vary wildly because of external factors. If you want to get more reliable body fat measurements get a fat caliper.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I bought a scale that measures body fat over a year ago, as my old scale needed to be replaced. I record the body fat number and keep track of it along with my weight. Its not accurate by any means I'm sure, but the number has been decreasing as I lose weight so it is still a fun way to track progress. When I started out it read 55% body fat 14 months ago, now it reads 34% and I've lost 94lbs. How close that is to my actual body fat % I have no idea but it gives me something to track :smile:

This is the one I have:
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Capacity-Recognition-Technology/dp/B004L6NTHU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430754011&sr=8-3&keywords=eat+smart+scale

I also use a measuring tape, and a food scale. The only other thing I can think of is a Fitbit, which I also use. Excellent way to track numbers, and your activity level.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    Body fat measurements on a scale will not be very accurate. They can give you an idea, but they reading can vary wildly because of external factors. If you want to get more reliable body fat measurements get a fat caliper.

^^ This. I had gotten the Fitbit Aria scale for Christmas a couple years ago. It's a nice scale, don't get me wrong but the fat % is all over the place. I can step on and it will say 30% and I can immediately hop back on and it will say 25%.

I remember reading somewhere that depending on how hydrated you are, it will effect the fat % numbers on these types of scales.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I would go out of my way to get a scale that doesn't give bodyfat, personally, just because I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be, even when you know it's not accurate at all.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

^^ This. I had gotten the Fitbit Aria scale for Christmas a couple years ago. It's a nice scale, don't get me wrong but the fat % is all over the place. I can step on and it will say 30% and I can immediately hop back on and it will say 25%.
    Interesting. I have the Aria scale too and it has been extremely consistent for me. The other cheapy scales I've had before were exactly as you described. I'd step on and it'll say one thing and then step back again and it's a completely different number. The Aria will always say the same number.

Despite the consistency, the Aria is 3% off compared to my fat caliper measurements (7-site measurements)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have a scale with a body fat estimate - although the number will not be exact, I have noticed that it does stay consistent with my weight loss. I only weigh myself about once a month so for me this works. If anything it is motivation to see the number go down.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    My scale seems to be consistent as well. I think it pegs me perhaps 2% higher than I actually am.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

What about fat around organs? How does caliper measure that?

• jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Aria scale as well and it is very consistent for myself. It is also within 3% of other methods. Last time at the gym I got 15.7% Fitbit this morning was 17.2%. Close enough for me!
  • uvi5
    Options
    I bought a scale that measures body fat over a year ago, as my old scale needed to be replaced. I record the body fat number and keep track of it along with my weight. Its not accurate by any means I'm sure, but the number has been decreasing as I lose weight so it is still a fun way to track progress. When I started out it read 55% body fat 14 months ago, now it reads 34% and I've lost 94lbs. How close that is to my actual body fat % I have no idea but it gives me something to track :smile:

This is the one I have:
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Capacity-Recognition-Technology/dp/B004L6NTHU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1430754011&sr=8-3&keywords=eat+smart+scale

I also use a measuring tape, and a food scale. The only other thing I can think of is a Fitbit, which I also use. Excellent way to track numbers, and your activity level.

I just hiked back from walmart (45 minutes 4 mph with 40 lb backpack and 20 lb of stuff in hand :lol: Just had to say it :smiley: ) got this scale http://www.walmart.com/ip/Health-o-meter-Stainless-Steel-Body-Fat-Bath-Scale-with-Daily-Caloric-Intake-Technology-BFM144/21984590 I get to try it out for 15 days and if i'm not in love with it, I can take it back. I just returned the garmin vivofit activity tracker. I was not impressed with it. I have been using the ozeri digital scale with tare and units (Love it!). Also just purchased a pair of decent (for the price 23 bucks) Dr. Schoals walking shoes (totally comfy) and a tape measure. I am now down 15 pounds (down another pound this morning) since Feb 16th (including accumulative 13 days of completely blowing it in the begining of march) I'm on 42 days streak. With the fantastic advice from the great folks here on Mfp, I now feel I have the tools to make this journey more fun and life long lasting! Lifting weights has really been a plus. This will be my second month lifting. I'm getting stronger and have energy I have not had in years. Mood today.... Amazing!
  • uvi5
    Options
    Thanks all for the imput and tips :smiley: Keeping it fun and consistant is whats working for me. I understand nothing is truly accurate except results. 15 days is a good test to see how i like it. If anything its better than the arcaic <<<spelling? one I have now.