Over 40s Success Stories

Options
2»

Replies

• MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am over 40 and have currely lost 11lbs in the last 8 weeks. I go to the gym 5 to 6 days a week. Mostly strength training and stretching. I have been eating in a deficit of 20 percent of my TDEE. Why am I doing this?

I had lost sight of what was most important to me besides my family and my career and that was my health. What is there to gain by living an unhealthy lifestyle? and the answer for me is "Nothing". What is their to gain in being healthy or living a healthier lifestyle?"Everything".

I want to be able to run around with my grand children when it comes time, with out loosing my breath. I want to be able to climb a mountain with out falling I want to be able to go cliff jumping. I want, not that I can't is what I need. I need the Freedom!

I hope that made sense. Anyways Good Luck to you!
  • Kristyai3
    Kristyai3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm 44. I joined MFP in June at 210lbs. I've lost 56lbs so far and am working on the final 30. I make an effort to move more, walk a little and have recently started using some Jillian Michaels DVD, but I don't really work out much.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I am about to turn 41 and I am in the best shape of my life. I reached my goal weight this morning. I started out wearing size 12s and today I put on a pair of size 2 jeans (granted, they are still tight, but they did button!). I can run a full mile for the first time in my life, do pullups, and deadlift 25 pounds more than my own body weight. It's quite doable! :D
  • eemmerson929
    eemmerson929 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and lost 40 pounds since January 1, 2014. I only used MFP for the last couple of months so I can't really tell you what I did the first 10 months other than cut out sugar and carbs. I didn't track calories or really exercise during the first 10 months although I wished that I had. It just sort of happened. I know it would have happened a lot quicker and I would be further along in my running and fitness if I was using my Fitbit, MFP and MapMyExercise.
    The only factor that I can think that is different over 40 or over 50 in my case, is soreness and stiffness. Everything else is mind over matter. I may be working harder but I did nothing for my first 50 years so I have no idea if I really am, or how much harder it is. The soreness just helps with the memory loss. I think, 'did I workout today?' Then I move a little bit. "Yup".
  • gnik1
    gnik1 Posts: 30
    Options
    I am 50 and lost 40 pounds since January 1, 2014. I only used MFP for the last couple of months so I can't really tell you what I did the first 10 months other than cut out sugar and carbs. I didn't track calories or really exercise during the first 10 months although I wished that I had. It just sort of happened. I know it would have happened a lot quicker and I would be further along in my running and fitness if I was using my Fitbit, MFP and MapMyExercise.
    The only factor that I can think that is different over 40 or over 50 in my case, is soreness and stiffness. Everything else is mind over matter. I may be working harder but I did nothing for my first 50 years so I have no idea if I really am, or how much harder it is. The soreness just helps with the memory loss. I think, 'did I workout today?' Then I move a little bit. "Yup".

I am similar to you but I started in Oct 2012 (age 49) I lost about 12 kg up until Oct 2013, for those 12 months l did not log my food properly and just did my 10 000 steps as per my fitbit ,thought I was doing good.Stopped logging altogether, started skipping my daily walks and not wearing my fitbit result I've put the 12 kg back. End of Dec 2014 (age 51)decided to get back on with it and I am amazed that I have lost 11 Kg in 38 days as oppose to 11 months just by watching what I am eat and doing proper exercise.
    Walking 10K steps with some light strength building exercise and on alternative days I am doing the C25K programme. However my daily goal is walk at least 8 km.
  • hashTag_Wade
    hashTag_Wade Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Loved reading all of your stories! So inspiring on a day when I needed it!

I turned 40 in October 2014. I am 6' and weighed 210 lbs in Sept 2014. In November 2013, I suffered a severe ankle sprain (interior/exterior, high/low all at the same time) due to a 12 foot fall from a ladder while hanging Christmas lights.

I started running again in late Sept/early Oct 2014 and lost a few pounds. On Nov 3rd (at 202.5 lbs), I started P90X3 and have done every single workout, in order, on the schedule without missing a single day in addition to running 10-15 miles/week and/or cycling 15-20 miles/week. On November 6th, I discovered and started logging all of my meals on MFP. I typically have pretty high calorie burns every day but stay under my original calorie goal and do NOT "eat back" my calories. I am now at 183 lbs with only two P90X3 workout left - only 3 pounds away from my goal weight.

I am training for a 1/2 marathon in April and a triathlon in May.
  • eemmerson929
    eemmerson929 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    gnik1 wrote: »
    Walking 10K steps with some light strength building exercise and on alternative days I am doing the C25K programme. However my daily goal is walk at least 8 km.

I just finished week 4 of C25K myself. Signed up for a race for the end of February. This morning's run left me no doubts about finishing in <30 minutes which was my goal when I first started.
  • tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am in my late 40s. Two years ago after my youngest daughter. graduated. HS. I decided. It was time .Spent the last 2 yrs in gym. Lost 70 pound s . l feel better than I have in my late twenty's .We all can do this .When we start is up to us. But trading all the posts above We are all all happier new that we did .Good yuck and congratulations.to all who are on this journey to brand new you!!!!
    ]
  • novespecial
    novespecial Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and have lost 46 pounds. It is definitely doable you just have to stay committed and consistent!
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, 5.5 and lost 30lb between 2010 and 2012. I have gained around 10lb in muscle (currently at 174lb) through using free weights, taekwondo and cardio. (I don't know how to post pics here). Exercise is a major part of my life now and I an a firm believer that we can change our bodies if we change our mindsets.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Amazing work guys, thanks for sharing!
  • hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Wow!! So inspiring! Thank you for sharing.
  • joh3092
    joh3092 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Started out in Feb. 2013 almost 48 years old at a mystery weight, 5'9" somewhere slightly north of 300 (I decided retroactively to guess 305 may have been more -- probably was, waist was 53" with a 30 to 32 inseam, wearing a 54 Regular Suit Coat)

By the Summer of 2014 and since steady between 155 and 160. Now 32 waist and a 39/40 Regular)

It is harder to lose weight, but on the other hand it is easier to exercise compulsively.

lauh6mnalsy0.jpg
    963rgby9er30.jpg
  • jaymvita
    jaymvita Posts: 5,787 Member
    Options
    Hi gang, 43 here and last summer I was lucky enough to be chosen to be part of test group for a workout video that debuted imthis last December. I was 217lbs and felt every one of them whenever I did anything. The program was 60 days, 5 days a week, 30 minutes a day and most importantly ZERO excuses. I put in the effort and after 60 days, lost 40lbs. I'm now down 53 lbs and don't plan on stopping. Pics below are after he first 60, 90, and 120 days and as of this morning :)8yw7lylub04v.jpg
    75oky7ai8cpc.jpg
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for posting to this thread. I had posted it January looking for inspiration but completely forgot about it. I failed to follow through on the intentions I had when I first posted this.

I just decided this morning that I'm going to stay connected to MyFitnesspal even while at work. Chatting on forums during work hours is frowned upon in the business world but this should be an exception. I need this.

When I originally wrote started this thread I had some doubts about what I could accomplish at 47. The response to this thread demonstrate that the sky is the limit. In truth, a person in their 40's who is in great shape is more impressive than someone in their 20's. While developing muscle may be more difficult, we don't have to carry excess body fat no matter what our age is. And we don't have to live in the gym to stay in shape.

Thank you
  • TAMMY7173
    TAMMY7173 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am soon to be 42 and have lost 49 pounds.
  • michael5526
    michael5526 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 47. I just achieved my goal, losing 30 pounds since December. I know 30 pounds is not much of a loss compared to some, but it does prove that being accountable to the calories I ingest works. I am now in the best shape in my adult life. I am going to run my first competitive 10K this month!
  • wils5150
    wils5150 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just turned 49 started losing in November. I started at 185 and I am down 40 pounds so far. Best thing about the loss is I have gotten off 1 diabetes pill and the other one is at a reduced dosage! Still have some more to lose. I think I am going to try for a 6 pack by my 50th birthday
    7sphba7hwqo2.jpg
    that was in october.
    w2mhwys1wx2v.jpg
    ticnhqb1q9pr.jpg
    red shirt pics are current.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!