Losing weight but not losing belly fat

Options
So I have been pretty successful with my weight loss but I seem to be losing fat from everywhere except where I want to lose it most -- my stomach! I have not lost any inches and while I am not discouraged because I know this thing takes time and I know you can't spot train but I was just wondering if anyone knows of other things that I should consider (what foods should I eat, what foods should I stay away from, what exercises should I do more of etc). I do quite a bit of cardio & strength training at least 4-5 times a week. Not sure what I need to do differently. I recently cut bread out of my diet temporarily hoping that would help. If people could share what has worked for them, I would appreciate it.

Replies

• coldcollarbones
    coldcollarbones Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Crunches, sit ups, and other nifty sit ups. Look online for different core toning excersizes.
    Also you can eat things that burn belly fat, like grape fruit, avocados, celery, turkey, soy milk, and some kinds of sushi.
    Hope that helped alittle.
  • Febgirl
    Febgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Is your body type one which carries weight around the middle? If even when you're at a good weight your tummy has always been your "problem zone" then it's probably just the way you are built, e.g. it's the butt/thighs for me that are the last place to shrink due to my figure type.

Not saying you won't lose inches from your tummy but it will probably be the last place to go. Just hang in there and be patient...
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem up until the last few weeks. It's the last to go! Just keep up with what you're doing!
  • maximummags
    Options
    I feel your pain. I also have that problem. When I was wrestling 8 years ago I weighed in at 245lbs and only 8 percent body fat....all arround the belly. while I lost it it was the last thing to go. So please don't lose hope, for me it seemed to be always there but one day I looked down and it was gone.
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Try varying your workout with cardio and weight. Your body sometimes get used to what you've been doing and you stop seeing results!

Have you tried Zumba?? It's wonderful and it targets your tummy and waist! Good Luck
  • Susan77
    Susan77 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem! UGH im doing Zumba alot this week so hopefully by the end of next week i will start to see results....
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    30 Day Shred. I lost 3 inches off my waist in the first two weeks. Or try Zumba. Good Luck!!
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I was just reading an article on WebMD about this very topic:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-belly-fat

From what they're saying, you are on the right track -- it's all about controlling your net calories and eating a diet of good real food. Here's the last two paragraphs of the article:

"Most scientific evidence suggests that a calorie-controlled diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy, beans, nuts, seeds, lean meat, fish, eggs, and poultry is the foundation for a diet that provides all the nutrients you need while helping to whittle your waistline.

The real secret to losing belly fat is to lose weight on a balanced, calorie-controlled diet and exercise at least an hour a day."
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me in order to lose that last bit of belly fat - target your major muscle groups like your legs... since muscle helps to burn fat. It sounds crazy but I have seen results from weight lifting and working my leg muscles like never before. I think my stomach is the flattest its been since I had my son.
  • divades
    divades Posts: 145
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess the thing that I'm not doing that I should be is being patient. I've always struggled with that! Thanks again.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    For me avoiding "hydrogenated" helps, avoiding those fake fats.

Tummy was the ....last, last, last....fat on me to go.

I'm remembering that now knowing I'm nowhere close to Goal weight.

I don't want to have to lose the Belly Fat again !
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. Unfortunately for me though I loose it off places that make me look really unhealthy thanks to the way I'm built!

It definitely seems to be the last place to go though!
  • cingomma
    cingomma Posts: 1
    Options
    There is no food or exercises that make you lose belly fat, this is simply unscientific. It is the last place where most men lose fat so you just have to keep dieting.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you cannot spot reduce and for many of us the belly fat is the last to come off. For me it's the belly and all around my lower middle. It comes off, but it comes off last as I have to be at a low body fat percentage.