Good exercise to replace squats

Options
anyone have any suggestions on what I can do besides squats? My knees don't want to cooperate with me.

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I actually really like Donkey Kicks. I used to do them just at home, then added ankle weights...now I use the glute isolator at the gym.

At that time, I found squats very painful and honestly, I did not feel anything in my glutes when doing squats. I switched to donkey kicks for a few months. Now I do more squats...though, I found the donkey kicks to be a perfect alternative.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Are you doing squats with weights, or just body weight squats? Have you had someone watch your form? I was having knee pain with squats until I found out I was doing them wrong (having my knees go over my toes). Another problem that can result in painful squats is turning your knees inward.

All of that said, what are your goals? Not sure what you can replace squats with without knowing what you're trying to accomplish. Deadlifts are great for your back/butt/legs/balance.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    glute bridges and hip thrusts.
  • segacious
    segacious Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was doing just body weight squats and using a ball behind my back. A rolling squat? Place the ball between you and the wall, feet out in front of you and you basically used your back to roll the ball up and down the wall
  • segacious
    Options
    69fcxnyqo9a9.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    what's the end goal?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Anterior leg raises, to strengthen your VMO (as a warm-up)
    Partial bodyweight squats (to 45 degrees)
    Low step-ups and step-downs
    Straight-leg kicks, roundhouse kicks
  • segacious
    Options
    The end goal is to not be a fat *kitten*! Kidding! Seriously, I'm way bigger on the bottom than top, big booty and horrendous thighs. Need to lose weight and tone.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    That video up there looks really awesome. My doctor told me that I could do shallower squats if my knees were being bad, and do them slowly with correct form of course. You can slide your back against the wall instead of using the balance ball there; that was also recommended to me.

Another idea (I danced ballet back in the day) have you tried standing leg lifts? use a chair for balance, put it to your side, put a hand on it. Stand up straight and lift your leg (opposite side to the hand that's on the chair) to the front 10 reps, side 10 reps, back 10 reps, switch sides. Not kick hard, but lift. Keep leg straight. Turn out toes to the sides a bit like say 45 degrees. It is difficult at first, and you'll build your muscles. Continue sets of 10 until your legs have had enough. When I was dancing, my quads were HUGE (one reason I couldn't stay with ballet; nonsuitable genetic makeup that became blatantly obvious at puberty.)
  • segacious
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    That video up there looks really awesome. My doctor told me that I could do shallower squats if my knees were being bad, and do them slowly with correct form of course. You can slide your back against the wall instead of using the balance ball there; that was also recommended to me.

Another idea (I danced ballet back in the day) have you tried standing leg lifts? use a chair for balance, put it to your side, put a hand on it. Stand up straight and lift your leg (opposite side to the hand that's on the chair) to the front 10 reps, side 10 reps, back 10 reps, switch sides. Not kick hard, but lift. Keep leg straight. Turn out toes to the sides a bit like say 45 degrees. It is difficult at first, and you'll build your muscles. Continue sets of 10 until your legs have had enough. When I was dancing, my quads were HUGE (one reason I couldn't stay with ballet; nonsuitable genetic makeup that became blatantly obvious at puberty.)

Thanks!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Options
    Wide-stance squats tend to be easier on the knees:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=XJJj7tTBtUE

You can do Romanian deadlifts too. Instructions are here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Jq_sWcGTI

Keep in mind leg exercises don't target leg fat. It doesn't work that way.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Diet stuff = weight management. (that goes for up or down or maintenance)
    Workout = health/wellness/muscle development
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You can’t spot reduce. Just focus on your food and you’ll cut fat over your whole body.

As for squats, it is probably a form issue if bodyweight squats are causing you issues. Check with a sports doctor, but most people should be able to do a squat (you are able to sit down and get up aren’t you)?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You do not need to do squats to lose weight. If the basic problem is your body stores fat on the bottom half, squates will not help, or any other exercise. Fat will come off there too in the end, regardless of what type of exercise you do (or don't do). So, if squats hurt your knees, do not worry, it will not affect your goal.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    But if you have pain with squats, it's worth addressing. You want your knees to function.
  • segacious
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    You do not need to do squats to lose weight. If the basic problem is your body stores fat on the bottom half, squates will not help, or any other exercise. Fat will come off there too in the end, regardless of what type of exercise you do (or don't do). So, if squats hurt your knees, do not worry, it will not affect your goal.

I understand that, but I would still like to do a full body workout. Most of everything I read states that's it's a good idea to incorporate a workout regimen along with eating healthier. That's all I'm trying to do. I can see where my previous statement would confuse or mislead readers.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    What about a sexier lifted bottom? What's good for that besides squats?
  • mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Dumbell lunges?
  • DMLC2014
    DMLC2014 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you have access to a gym -- you could use a smith or hack machine. I don't do regular squats too much now.