A calorie budget is like a financial budget

californiagirl2012
californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
edited October 21 in Food and Nutrition
It's funny, on my weight loss journey I've learned to think of my calorie budget like a financial budget. This has worked out superbly in my relationship with my husband. We have been married a long time and we get along great. He does the finances and I'm glad he does because I hate that drudgery, but not only that he is a good planner with long term vision. I'm more the day to day detail thinker. Anyway, my new lifelong outlook on food has helped me communicate with him better, who would have thought?

I think of calories like a financial budget. When you are obese like I was you are paying off a calorie mortgage debt. It's not fun when you are in debt. That is why you have a calorie deficit, to pay of your debt. Once your debt is paid off you have more calories to spend. When I talk about this my husband says "See it's just like the finances, blah blah". LOL "Yes dear, it is!"

Anyway, my debt is paid and I have more calories to spend and I am loving life!

Enjoying Life: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/734137-the-new-me-pictures-not-posing

Anyone can at Any Age with Any Workout: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Best of luck to you on your calorie planning. MFP is the best tool for keeping in budget.

Replies

• Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    I have used this same concept to help out friends (and my own outlook) I figure I get 1600 calories per day to spend on whatever I want... But just like money, I want to get 'more bang for the buck" so I look at every candy bar and ask myself, is this worth that many calories when I only have this many for the whole day? Some days, the answer is definitely YES!, others not so much.... Staying inside my budget and paying on the principal of the debt ... great concept to help foster understanding ... Thanks for sharing!
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Love it!!!!!!!
  • californiagirl2012
    I have used this same concept to help out friends (and my own outlook) I figure I get 1600 calories per day to spend on whatever I want... But just like money, I want to get 'more bang for the buck" so I look at every candy bar and ask myself, is this worth that many calories when I only have this many for the whole day? Some days, the answer is definitely YES!, others not so much.... Staying inside my budget and paying on the principal of the debt ... great concept to help foster understanding ... Thanks for sharing!

Exactly! It's helped me make sure my precious calories are spent on foods that fuel my body, make me have strong workouts, feel good, sleep good, etc. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I often refer to it the same way. The hubby has gotten used to me talking about foods that "cost to much", knowing that I mean within my caloric budget, not my financial budget. I also commonly use the phrase "bang for my caloric buck" as well. It just seemed like a logical comparison in my mind. Make weekly and monthly budgets for things like food and treat them the same way, deducting amounts spent as I go and seeing what I have left. So it's really the same idea to me.
  • californiagirl2012
    The calorie budgeting still applies, years later here I am and it's still what I do to maintain.

Keeping the debts small because it's no fun to have a big fat mortgage to pay off again! <3
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Yes! Just this morning I said I didn't want to spend my calories on Starbucks!
  • californiagirl2012
    Starbucks can use up up both our calorie budget and financial budget pretty fast!!!!!
  • californiagirl2012
    I often refer to it the same way. The hubby has gotten used to me talking about foods that "cost to much", knowing that I mean within my caloric budget, not my financial budget. I also commonly use the phrase "bang for my caloric buck" as well. It just seemed like a logical comparison in my mind. Make weekly and monthly budgets for things like food and treat them the same way, deducting amounts spent as I go and seeing what I have left. So it's really the same idea to me.

Exactly! I say the same thing for say protein, egg whites and white fish give us the best protein bang for the calorie buck. Lol!!! <3<3<3
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    edited May 2015
    Top advice!

I have found myself saying "I can't afford the calories" but never really considered calorie counting as "balancing the books", so thank you for the insightful analogy - very useful for us visual learners!

Edited to add: I've just read through your story in the link you posted. What an amazing inspiration you are! Congratulations on your transformation!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Nice. I'm glad I am not the only one who views it that way. :)
  • kikichewie
    I also really like the weight loss analogy that losing weight is like paying off a debt. Love it. Brilliant.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Great analogy :)
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    I always say, "You can't manage what you can't measure." I have been tracking my finances for over 25 years with Quicken software and it has helped my identify my spending habits. Over those same years, it was only when I kept a food/calorie journal was I able to lose and maintain my weight.
  • ellskiNZ
    ellskiNZ Posts: 32 Member
    I recently started to get my finances back on track after overspending for a few months, and same with my weight/over eating. I've noticed a lot of these analogies.
  • californiagirl2012
    peterjens wrote: »
    I always say, "You can't manage what you can't measure." I have been tracking my finances for over 25 years with Quicken software and it has helped my identify my spending habits. Over those same years, it was only when I kept a food/calorie journal was I able to lose and maintain my weight.

Exactly!

A lot of fitness people have used the financial analogy over the years, it's awesome and true. :smiley:

• kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    I have been using this analogy too, only to get people off the 'diet perspective'. I started a PT program a month ago and ever since have received many questions about my 'diet' and what I am and am not 'allowed' to eat. So I keep telling them. I'm allowed to eat anything as long as it fits within my budget. If I've got $50, I can spend it in whichever way I want, I just cannot go over. It seems to make sense to people.
  • californiagirl2012
    kimw91 wrote: »
    I have been using this analogy too, only to get people off the 'diet perspective'. I started a PT program a month ago and ever since have received many questions about my 'diet' and what I am and am not 'allowed' to eat. So I keep telling them. I'm allowed to eat anything as long as it fits within my budget. If I've got $50, I can spend it in whichever way I want, I just cannot go over. It seems to make sense to people.

Exactly! <3B)

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I understand what you are saying but the problem is that most people are also incapable of managing a financial budget. That is why the majority of people live paycheck to paycheck.
  • californiagirl2012
    That's right, so LEARNING to manage both types of budgets is the key to success.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    I've always liked the analogy with money, but I had never thought of it as a debt you owe. It definitely is!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I use the same principle all the time.

And I tell people- sometimes I want to eat- and sometimes I want new lipstick.

And when I want new lipstick- I go hungry- or I go into debt.

Same with food. I either can eat what I need- or I can splurge on a treat that isn't as filling- and is higher calories- then I make the choice- do I go hungry- or do I go into "debt" by going over my calories.

Same concept. use it regularly- it's one of the best I think.
  • kikichewie
    I prelogged my day today all the way through dinner, and a while ago I was starving. I have a big workout in an hour, so I knew I needed to eat. So I had to look at my budget for the rest of the day and decide what I was willing to give up In order to meet my goal. Sadly, today it had to be my 5 oz glass of wine. But I still have a tiny piece of chocolate planned for after dinner! I was able to eat a Kind bar I found in the pantry. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it, but it did the job.
This discussion has been closed.