Infrared Therapy Sauna Question

geotrice
geotrice Posts: 274 Member
I took a tour of a new gym. In addition to the free weights, weight machines, and cardio machines, they had Infrared Therapy Saunas which, in addition to other claimed benefits, is supposed to burn calories.

Never heard of that machine or claim before. Any credibility to that or should I not waste my time and just stick to the traditional equipment?

Sounds sketchy but wanted to see if anyone knows anything to the contrary.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    wow...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    geotrice wrote: »
    I took a tour of a new gym. In addition to the free weights, weight machines, and cardio machines, they had Infrared Therapy Saunas which, in addition to other claimed benefits, is supposed to burn calories.

Never heard of that machine or claim before. Any credibility to that or should I not waste my time and just stick to the traditional equipment?

First impressions are often the most accurate.
  • geotrice
    emily_stew wrote: »
    geotrice wrote: »

Your use of that word in that way may be seen as hurtful to both sketch artists and those who sketch drawings.

Really got in your head, didn't I?
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Maybe it gets really hot and starts to cook your fat off... Did it smell like bacon in there?
  • geotrice
    Maybe it gets really hot and starts to cook your fat off... Did it smell like bacon in there?

No, but if gyms could pump bacon smell into them, I bet more people would show up! Haha!
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Oh but saunas feel wonderful.....

Although regular heat with or without steam makes more sense to me than infrared, which I'm pretty sure just warms the surface of your skin and not the air in the sauna. We have an infrared heater outside at our house, and it's definitely a surface thing. A sauna, on the other hand, is pretty intense heat, and you sweat like crazy. Any weight loss is water weight, but I just like to relax and stretch in a sauna while staying super hydrated. Not sure I'd be a fan of an infrared sauna, but I'd like to try one.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall from my Bill Nye watching days, infrared light is literally just light and radiation in wavelengths that are invisible to the naked human eye generated by the activity of molecules. Infrared light is literally all around us at all times because our own bodies produce it...

I fail to see how that would even be incorporated into a sauna let alone do anything to promote weight loss.
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    All I know is that infrared heaters heat objects but not the actual air. They are often used in outdoor heaters, small pizza ovens and warming stations for food.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-improvement/heating-and-cooling/infrared-heaters.htm
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    How much do they charge extra for this contraption?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,371 Member
    edited May 2015
    I have used a infrared sauna many times...loved it. Didn't use it to lose weight though and where I used it didn't promote the use for weight loss. Any weight loss due to dehydration is quickly regained away. Most people use them too hot and it makes them massively uncomfortable.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    My aesthetician has one, she recommends it for opening pores and relaxing muscles but not for losing weight. At the SPA CASTLE™ they have an infrared 'area' as opposed to even having it enclosed like all of the other saunas. Nobody is ever using it.