Addicted to weight loss?

Options
Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem that I never thought would apply to me. Over the last year I've lost three stone. I'm 5' 3" and weigh 115lbs. I'm really, really proud of myself as it's been an enormous struggle, especially losing the last five pounds. I'm within the healthy BMI range but when I look in the mirror I see all these 'fat' areas that I want to lose, but losing much more will put me into the unhealthy BMI range. My friends and family tell me I shouldn't lose any more and they're worried about me, but I just don't see it. I'm my ideal weight, ideal dress size and really happy with that, but still want to lose more, along with toning up.

I'm concerned because I recognise the first stages of anorexia in this and do not want to go down that road. I want to feel happy with my body and not obsess over it anymore, but I can't help it when I look in the mirror and sometimes feel there's no difference from when I was 11 stone, although there obviously is!

Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do to start thinking positively and not lose too much more weight?

Would appreciate your insight.

Thanks MFP!

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    See a mental health professional.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    See a medical professional.
    Yep i second that. Go for it before it will be too late.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Yes, speak with your primary care physician and also a mental health professional.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    See a medical professional.
    Yep i second that. Go for it before it will be too late.

Sorry...I edited after your quote heh
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    See a mental health professional.

that

and, what you might want to do is start lifting weights (which means youll be eating more). It will really help define your muscles and tone your body out and youll probably really like the results.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Just because you weigh less doesnt mean you've also lost the body issues. How many women, regardless of size and weight,can honestly say they love what they look like?

Perhaps losing weight isn't your answer. Perhaps building a better body is.... This requires going to the gym and growing!
  • capybara101
    capybara101 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses people - I will definitely see a doctor and see what they say, and head to the gym!
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem that I never thought would apply to me. Over the last year I've lost three stone. I'm 5' 3" and weigh 115lbs. I'm really, really proud of myself as it's been an enormous struggle, especially losing the last five pounds. I'm within the healthy BMI range but when I look in the mirror I see all these 'fat' areas that I want to lose, but losing much more will put me into the unhealthy BMI range. My friends and family tell me I shouldn't lose any more and they're worried about me, but I just don't see it. I'm my ideal weight, ideal dress size and really happy with that, but still want to lose more, along with toning up.

I'm concerned because I recognise the first stages of anorexia in this and do not want to go down that road. I want to feel happy with my body and not obsess over it anymore, but I can't help it when I look in the mirror and sometimes feel there's no difference from when I was 11 stone, although there obviously is!

Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do to start thinking positively and not lose too much more weight?

Thanks MFP!

I have the same issue. This has made me completely obsessed with counting calories and weight loss. I lost 70lbs and I'm down to 131-135 and as soon as I get anywhere near 135 I panic completely and start cutting back really hard and exercising extra. I am 5'9 and want to get down to 125 because I still see fat on me everywhere when I look in the mirror. It's been almost 2 years.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks MFP!

I have the same issue. This has made me completely obsessed with counting calories and weight loss. I lost 70lbs and I'm down to 131-135 and as soon as I get anywhere near 135 I panic completely and start cutting back really hard and exercising extra. I am 5'9 and want to get down to 125 because I still see fat on me everywhere when I look in the mirror. It's been almost 2 years.

I weigh about 10kg more than my "lowest" weight but I still wear the same size clothes. I have more muscle. Focus on changing your body composition.... Weight is somewhat irrelevant.
  • capybara101
    capybara101 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it's not just me Loribethrice - has it got any better for you? I also panic when the scales go up and I don't think I want to live like that...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Even supermodels sometimes have things about their body that they're less than confident about. I think it's the overwhelming media messages that tell us that we are supposed to look like airbrushed photoshopped cover models all the time -- but even they don't really look like that. It's kinda ridiculous.

So no, you're not crazy, OP. And yes, if you think you're seeing early stages of disordered thinking, then definitely seek out some support before you go down that road.

Also, have you thought about lifting weights to tone up?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    It's time to stop having a deficit and start working on maintenance. You can do a reverse diet to ease into maintenance. Eating a little bit more will probably help with some of the obsessiveness as well. It's an excellent idea to meet with a professional who can help you to combat problematic thinking and start to come to terms with your new body. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone. Walk away from the logging and talk to your doctor, to get you started in the right direction.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks MFP!

Have you thought about trying bulking/cutting cycles? That would help out your problem areas for sure and give you a break from dropping for a bit before you work on dropping weight for a bit. That might be just what you need,.