trapped nerve stopping me training physio said dont train! my mind is saying get back at it

Options
proper sick not trained for over 7 weeks had a sore shoulder back and arm pain in shoulder
ache had it since october but just trained away , 6 weeks ago woke up couldent move my top half was locked up in pain never went out of the house for two weeks with it ,went to doctors x 3 nurse 2 physios few sessions hydro pool acunpuncture eventaully had mri scan 2 disks have moved trapping a nerve been given some tablets called gabapentin they block the nerve pain which there doing but i need to have surgery on it now god knows how long this will take its c5 c6 in my spine had horrendous shoulder and back pain but its all refered pain from my spine, i want to do some kind of training im pain free right now the doctor said the tablets are doing a good job of masking the pain , i used to do a lot of HIT fast and light and body weight exercises no big dead lifts or heavy weight just modrate weights with loads of reps, im getting unfitter day by day im out walking the dog often a hour at a time but feel like i need to tax my body a bit more , this picture shows the where ive had he pain and it also goes into my arm jfbhntohjn1m.jpg not sure what i want people to say just thought i would tell like minded people who want to lose weight lol

Replies

• lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Okay first of all... Sorry you got injured.
    You need to listen to your doctors and therapists. PERIOD! This could lead to a more devastating issue.
    I can sympathize with your desire to get back into it and do more.
    I had increased my strength training routine and tweaked something in my back. I have had to drastically cut down routine Til It heals. But I can still do cardio and watch what I eat. Physical therapy has helped me as well.
    Good luck
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctors!!!! Pain blockers completely mask pain like that which means you won't know if you are going beyond your limits. They make you feel great and therefore you can really do some additional damage. It isn't going to hurt you in the long run to rest and have the surgery and start back over again, but it is going to hurt you in the long run if you exercise against your doctors advice and permanently damage your trapped nerve and/or worse. Listen to the medical professionals, your spinal cord is nothing to mess with, period.
  • davecando
    davecando Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i know i darent even lift a weight up or even do cardio in the gym anything to do with top half i want to get this sorted out , i know how the spine carries everything that controls the body and i dont want to end up in a wheelchair i know thats extreme thinking but i allways think the worst , i feel like im healed now no pain or ache as im sat here right now ,But its not worth the risk, plus im going for another mri scan on tuesday been called back in for it for my shoulder !! told them it was shoulder in teh first disck problems ,my doctor thought this was strange to be called back in he said go along and see what they say , lol they may say sorry we made a mistake it was pulled muscle get back training son , i have had a broken back many years ago lower back L234 i cant bear people touching my lower back just in case they upset anything down there , thats healed properly. i keep thinking i may go and do legs at the gym but there is only so much legs you can actually do day in day out
  • michellewalker6
    michellewalker6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have damaged sacral nerve roots which work ok but get inflamed and painful on movement. It's inoperable so I have to self manage my day and exercise. I need to loose weight to lessen the burden on this area but it seems impossible cos I can'tfind a cardio eexercise that doesn't aggravate my condition. Any ideas anyone?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I have damaged sacral nerve roots which work ok but get inflamed and painful on movement. It's inoperable so I have to self manage my day and exercise. I need to loose weight to lessen the burden on this area but it seems impossible cos I can'tfind a cardio eexercise that doesn't aggravate my condition. Any ideas anyone?

A good physical therapist will help you. Make sure you don't leave until you feel that you have your form down.
  • jmerthen82
    jmerthen82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Please do not Train
    You could end up paralyzed because of where the disks are!!! Listen to your doctor and don't do something that can have such devastating consequences
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had C Spine surgery 3 years ago. It is nothing to mess with. I was back in the gym 6 weeks after surgery. Listen to your doctor. Neurosurgeon did mine and I am now 100% back to normal. Be patient.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Is the period key on your keyboard broken? If you make your posts easier to comprehend you will probably get more help