CrossFit, Run, Etc...?

Options
mybella511
mybella511 Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi ya'll, I'm wondering what people do for exercise, and how often you workout a week.

Replies

• MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Way back in 2013 I started losing weight entirely by doing Insanity. Now I do Insanity videos or other workout videos 4 or 5 times a week. I'm obsessed. On those days I make sure I get enough calories to really put high intensity into the workout and kick some a**. If I don't want to do Insanity I will run. I also did CrossFit for about 5 months before I moved overseas (where there is no crossfit). CrossFit was expensive, but I loved it. All the deadlifts etc. flatten your stomach.

On the days I don't work out I still try to eat for a deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm training for a 10k, so running 3/4 times a week and a bit of bodyweight stuff occasionally
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I do a little bit of everything. Bootcamps, stairs, track, boxing and lifting on my own. I work out six days a week. I really like group classes, always have.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Depends on what my goals are at the time.
  • FinallyJennifer
    FinallyJennifer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Crossfit and/or weightlifting 4-5 times a week. Walking on rest and recovery days.
  • ajcamber
    ajcamber Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Crossfit and Swimming
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I run. I love to run. My mind wanders while my legs go. It's pure freedom. My favorite is going to road races and meeting like-minded people. I've got a few half marathons scheduled for later this year. I've been trying to incorporate more weight lifting into my cross training days. I also like to swim and bike. I pretty much do what exercise I like, and if I don't like something, I don't do it (well, dishes, I have to do dishes).
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I enjoy being lopsided so for the most part I run. For diversion I'll do a fastish 50km loop on my bike.

More seriously, my May goals include adding strength training for my upper body.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I run - mostly treadmill runs, 5 days per week. 30 minutes (~3.5 miles) on Mondays and Wednesdays, 40 minutes (4.5 miles) Tuesdays and Fridays, 45 minutes (~5 miles) Saturdays. Thursdays and Sundays are my "rest" days, but I still go for 2 walks to make sure I hit at least 10K steps.
  • mybella511
    mybella511 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love hearing what people do to accomplish their goals. I'm a CrossFit and weightlifter enthusiast and I run to just lean up more and to clear my mind. Staying active keeps me sane. Keep up the amazing work ya'll.
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I spent so long running on treadmills and doing cardio only to find that it wasnt blasting the fat like I wanted it to. So much misinformation on the internet about what is best, but for me when I started lifting and doing crossfit! WOW. The fat is melting off. I still run 10 miles or so a week, which is good for the cardiovascular system but a waste of time for fat blasting. Good Luck!!!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    To put in a contrary word, from September 2014 through March 2015 I lost 50 of my 100 pounds without counting a single calorie and without substantially changing my daily diet. Sure, as I realised I was making big progress in fitness and weight loss (as evidenced by dropping four belt notches over that period), I stopped having that regular bowl of ice cream and such. I didn't have thirds at Christmas dinner. And so on. But in no way was I on a diet, I was merely eating regular, healthy, food as always.

As far as the weight loss goes it's not the running but the calorie deficit that the running created (and that I did not eat fully back) that reduced my weight. You don't need to do crossfit or any activity to lose weight either. You could easily sit in a chair watching Netflix 12 hours a day and still lose weight if you manage your calories in properly, but you won't be a fit thinner person in the end. Frankly I'd rather be a very fit slightly fatter person.

But I ran. Slow and not far at first. I couldn't complete 1km without stopping but I kept going and after what seemed like an eternity but in reality was only a couple months, started to witness steady progress. I forced myself to run through the worst winter weather we had here because of that progress and I knew forming a habit and blasting away excuses would serve me well in the future.

By the time I'd dropped 50 pounds I'd run more than 650km. Along with the dropping weight my resting heart rate moved from the 80's to 50bpm; my blood pressure - which had finally started climbing above normal for a 50 year old last year (an "aha" moment for me) - is now again the same as when I was 25 years younger.

I'm a big believer in cardio but it doesn't have to be running; whatever turns your crank will do. For me running was the easy choice despite my poor level of fitness when I started. I knew I'd enjoy it after getting through the necessary work up front because before I got fat I was a distance runner.

Of course starting over from rock bottom fitness isn't terribly fun. Yes it's hard, at first. What made it work for me is the no-excuses nature of the activity: It's impossible to say "I can't do it today" when all one has to do is change clothes, lace up shoes, step outside, and go.

What I get out of the running aside from the forgoing and the oft-cited and very pleasant runners high is a regular low cost no-monthly fee activity I can do from my front door-step in any weather, at any time of the day or night, by myself or with others, that just happens to get our dog exercised too. That's a win, win, win!

• kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i do muay thai 4x/week, then gym 3 days a week + cycling whenever i can. gym includes circuit training so lifting + cardio intervals between sets. i also hike/speed walk the trails since i can't run them anymore :(