Liquid veggie alternative?

Options
elothen
elothen Posts: 155 Member
I hate veggies. No, I mean HATE veggies. They're expensive, taste nasty, and are a PITA to prepare to a point they're edible. Plus, what's the point of broccoli if you drown it in salt, butter, and cheese just to get it down?

So I'm looking for some sort of liquid alternative. Something I can just chug down fast, get the nutrients I need, and rinse out with water. Somewhat contrary to my original statement I'm ok paying a bit for it. At least it'd be easy and even if it tastes like crap it's only for a matter of seconds.

I'm trying the Naked juice smoothie now and it's actually damn tasty and in the big bottle only $1/serving. Is that a quality drink or is there something else that would be better. Again I'm looking for something that would be 90% as good as choking those nasty greens down.

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    V8... Yummy, just drink enough water, it is rather high in sodium....
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of smoothie recipes that incorporate spinach, kale, etc that you will never taste. Especially if you have a good blender like a Ninja that pulverizes the heck out of it. My husband will not eat anything green but when I prepare him a smoothie he loves it, and doesn't even realize it has kale in it.

• prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Use broccoli or cauliflower in other dishes ('pizza crust', omelets, porridge (using them finely chopped), or as a rice substitute (Google the recipe's).
    Spinach can also be easily used in shakes without adding to much of its flavour. Blend spinach, a banana, some milk, peanut butter and if you require it some additional protein powder to a nice shake.

Again, there are a lot of recipes that incorporate without you tasting it back all too much (zucchini hash browns, black bean brownies etc).
    Use your imagination and Google :smiley:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I do a morning smoothie with 2 cups of baby kale/spinach, a banana and unflavored protein powder. You can add water, coffee or liquid of your choice. It comes together quickly in the blender and the banana overpowers the taste of the greens. It is much cheaper and tastes better than the bottled stuff. You can also try adding cocoa powder or vanilla for flavoring.
  • GrandmaPeridow
    GrandmaPeridow Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Naked juice smoothies are good. There are several flavors. There are several alternatives in the juice isle. Some of them are fruit & vegetable mixed. Make sure to read the labels, because some of them include high fructose corn syrup.
    Good luck on your quest to get good nutrition. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Second for V8. The low sodium tastes awful though. How about crispy veggies? Dehydrated? Crunchy instead of liquid?
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    A major benefit of veggies is the fiber, which you don't get in juice. You can make smoothies with whole fruits and veggies in a blender like a NutriBullet. Then it's the same as actually eating it because you're not leaving the fiber out.

I make one w spinach, carrot, Apple, sometimes banana and egg whites. It actually tastes good. You can add different veggies, some which taste good, and some you may prefer to chug.

But I don't know of any good commercial brands of smoothies.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Alright yeah, blending my own is sounding like a pretty good way to go. I wish I could just buy it pre-done but oh well. Thanks for the feedback folks!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would blend your own or juice your own.