just a question that anybody can answer

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i count things that are higher in calories - mayo, salad dressing, ketchup, etc

im not a huge condiment person other than mayo and salad dressing- sometimes some mustard but not often
  • mls100771
    mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    depends on the condiment. If a significant source of fat or carbs, then yes. For instance, I log light mayo, salsa, and salad dressings, but not Franks Red Hot.
  • mch2829
    mch2829 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how much you have to lose and how much your deficit is. I've lost a lot and still have a lot left to lose, so I don't worry about condiments. It's going to have a negligible effect on my weight loss. If someone just has a few pounds to lose and they have a very low deficit, then obviously they need to be a lot more careful with measurements and include condiments.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Just put in my bbq sauce for tonight
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I count them :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I log it, but mostly because of the sodium content. I am trying to stay around 1500 or less because when I consume more than 2000, I find I retain water like crazy (fingers get all swollen, weight shoots up for 2 days, I feel like I'm dragging my feet etc). I feel a lot better when I stay under 2000, but set my limit at 1500 as an error cushion lol. My one condiment I use the most is wishbone Italian dressing. Only 25 cals but 320mg of sodium :(. It adds up quickly.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I count them. I used to be a ketchup fiend. I used to put that s--t on everything. Gotta count what goes in.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    If your concern is weight and it has calories, log it. If you are concerned about macros, log it even if it doesn't have calories (salt, etc).

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I count mayo, salad dressing, soy sauce, ketchup. Pretty much the only condiments that I don't count are vinegar and mustard.
  • spekaelizabeth
    spekaelizabeth Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't count stuff like mustard and hot sauce. Whatever else I count
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I don't usually count dried herbs, but I will in the recipe builder. I usually count fresh herbs, but sometimes I don't. If things are about 5 kcals or less then I am neutral about counting them. Things like mayo, salad dressing, ketchup I would absolutely count.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    How many people count the condiments they use and add them. How many people don't. Should we add them or not.

Some condiments are pretty high in calories, especially salad dressings and also sauces at restaurants (one container of honey mustard sauce at Arbys is 140 calories!). Things like spices, mustard, soy sauce, hot sauce and salsa I don't though, because the calories are so minimal. I do always measure out portion sizes for everything though.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I count them, at least I have for the past 70 days or so that I have been on MFP. Today was the first time I haven't. Today is my first Bank Holiday off work for a long time. We've had a bbq with a few beers. I logged it all except the condiments :)
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I count most of them. Mayo and guacamole usually end up on my sandwiches so I count those. Mustard and hot sauce as mentioned before due to little or no calories, I don't.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Like many others here I do measure them and note them in my calories. Ketchup is my biggest offended because I love it so much and it adds up quickly for me.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Do the people who log ketchup, but not mustard realize that they are very similar in calories?

A serving of hunts ketchup (1 tablespoon) is 20 calories

A serving of yellow mustard (1 teaspoon) is 5 calories.

3 teaspoons in a tablespoon.

15 calories in 1 tablespoon of mustard
    20 calories in 1 tablespoon of ketchup

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I log condiments and almost all herbs and spices. I don't log the small shake of cinnamon I put in my morning cup of tea or the pepper I put in my cottage cheese.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I log condiments and almost all herbs and spices. I don't log the small shake of cinnamon I put in my morning cup of tea or the pepper I put in my cottage cheese.

I was actually surprised at the amount of calories in spices such as garlic powder or onion powder! I mean, probably not enough to matter if you're just sprinkling it over the top of your spaghetti or something, but logging it into a recipe kind of surprised me a bit. I expected the calories to be zero.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I was actually surprised at the amount of calories in spices such as garlic powder or onion powder! I mean, probably not enough to matter if you're just sprinkling it over the top of your spaghetti or something, but logging it into a recipe kind of surprised me a bit. I expected the calories to be zero.

I know! The recipe builder is an eye-opener!

• Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I log them all. Seeing the difference in calories between my beloved Miracle Whip and mustard is why I am now a big mustard fan. Never used it much before, but I do now.