Am I eating more than I think?

Options
HI. I've lost over 15 kg in the last year and I have about 5-7 to lose to get to 59kg my goal weight. I've increased my calories to 1350 from 1200 in the last few months and sometimes i eat a bit more but i still feel its at a defecit and that i should b losing albeit at a slower rate. However overall the scale is not moving. I do a fair bit of exercise and eat those calories back, and i feel that i am honest when estimating the calories of different foods. I do a range of different exercises including weights 4x40min, spinning 2x45min and boxercise 2x60min per week. I weigh and take measurements frequently and they haven't budged for weeks now. I'm hoping the weight will come off my lower body now (hips, thighs, bum) What am i doing wrong?? I'd appreciate any input

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    If you're not weighing your food, you're probably eating more than you think. How are you measuring your exercise calories? MFP overestimates on exercise calories, so if you're using MFP estimates, you may want to eat 50-75% of those calories back to see if that helps.

The closer you get to your goal, the more stringent you need to be with logging your food. That means weigh everything and log every bite that you eat.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Remember that as you lose weight, your calorie needs decrease (because there is less of you to fuel).

If you lost 15 kg in one year, your average daily deficit was about 316 calories. It's likely that it was more when you started, though, and less toward the end. If you increased calories by 150, you might have wiped out a big proportion of your deficit, and inaccuracies might account for the rest.

It's just a hypothesis, but it would be worth testing, especially since exercise machines and databases often overestimate calories burned in exercise.
  • kay00125
    kay00125 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think that it could be a possibility. I think for the majority of us, we do not realize how much we really eat. You know how you meet a lot of inactive people who stay at a size 2 and say they eat whatever they want? Well hang around them for a day, and 9/10 times, they really don't eat the amount of food that you would consider to be a lot. Vice Versa (hope I spelt that right :D ). It has happened to me too, where I think I am not eating that much, but then ounce I put the food on a scale or measure it, I realize how much I truly eat.
  • Frances151114
    Frances151114 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. I do enter slightly less calorie time to account for the mfp overestimation but i think its not as low as 75% so i will try that. Also i switched to a non digital scale which is not as accurate so i will get the digital scale back. I am sure it is a combination of all the suggestions here so I am going to reread them and make sure i take them on board. Thanks again :smiley: