IBS/IBD/Crohn's Tips to deal with these issues

My Girlfriend suffered from IBD and although we have controlled it from going pretty much Paleo and completely cutting gluten out of our diets I was wondering if anybody had any useful hints or tips of anything to control it when it flares up? Apart from the generic tabs prescribed, peppermint oil and ginger!

Cheers Ash

Replies

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,153 Member
    I have a close friend with Crohn's. When flares hit (thankfully not often now due to Humira), but when they did, it was a scrambled egg and plain wheat toast type of diet. Even spices would irritate. Paleo style helps a lot. Some crohn's patients can eat protein, some can't. In the case of my friend, the more protein the better (as long as it isn't super fatty). We went to Cancun as a group years ago and everyone ate homemade yogurt and everyone got sick, but him. He was good as far as symptoms go, for six months after that. Strange.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 674 Member
    My GI doc just told me to try a fodmaps elimination. I had been eating healthy, but ended up in more and more pain. Reducing my fodmap consumption already seems to be helping.
  • AshLiftusFitness
    AshLiftusFitness Posts: 2 Member
    That's really useful information- she finds any processed food and anything count gluten flairs her up yet she's fine with Protein just not protein powder if it's whey but is fine with eggs... We used the FODMAP elimination technique too taken a long time but we are nearly through it all! We do online lifestyle coaching but we always love to hear if anybody out there has found any remedies etc! The peppermint helps her so much, she has flared up this evening had some peppermint 2 hours later it's gone! :)
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    I suffer from the same issues. How does she take in peppermint oil? I had capsules with specific coating, but for me they didn't do much. I'm starting FODMAP today, would be great to find friends who are trying this as well :)