good foods to eat

what are some good healthy foods to eat to meet my calorie goal for the day?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member

Eat whatever you want. Seriously.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member

What are foods that you like? Put them into the diary to figure out how much you can eat to meet your goal for the day. I like to have a good balance of veggies/fruit (about 1/2), meat/beans (about 1/4), and starchy carb (about 1/4).
  • rluna27
    rluna27 Posts: 11 Member
    mtringali13 your welcome to add me as a friend and you can view my food diary for ideas.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    The ones you like :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    The foods that you enjoy are the best to maintain your ability to stick with a deficit. Personally, i focus on foods that are nutrient rich (fruits & veggies), meats (higher in protein which keeps you full longer and a host of other good things) and dairy (love me some greek yogurt).
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Foods that satisfy my hunger for longer are those with more fat and protein, such as nuts, seeds, greek yogurt and meat. Of course you have to weigh them because the calories can be high- but eating these can fill you up. Also fiber- eating high fiber is lower calorie but is also filling- fruit is excellent and also vegetables. I love a veggie wrap with all my favorite vegetables.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

anything you want as long as you hit your calorie/macro/micro target…

so eat nutrient dense stuff like chicken, fruit, fish, vegetables, etc; but feel free to mix in things you like, like pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc….
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    End of the day? Dark chocolate and red wine.

Or a protein shake if you're feeling virtuous. I make one w chocolate milk and egg whites that tastes like dessert.
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    some of my favorites outside of tons of veggies- Laughing cow cheeses; almond milk; Extreme Wellness tortillas; greek yogurt; mustard/ vinegar; Franks Buffalo sauce; Prego light smart spaghetti sauce.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Light greek yogurt, colby jack/cheddar cheese cubes, almond milk in my coffee, waffles w/ pb2 and honey, blue berries, vegetable stirfry, minestrone soup, open face quesadillas with grilled chicken and salsa, 1 whole egg w/ 2 egg whites scrambled and a little cheddar cheese on home made bread.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    ...to meet my calorie goal for the day?

So in the absence of a list of such foods, will you have difficulty "meeting" your calorie goal for the day?

What did you used to eat before you started tracking? Eat that. If you are trying to lose weight, just eat less of it.

A lot of people just starting out make the mistake of thinking they have to "cut out" all "unhealthy" foods, and are left with little desire to eat but a high desire to quit because they've been WAY too restrictive in defining foods as "unhealthy." Everything left seems unappetizing because all that's left is broccoli, brown rice, and baked chicken breast (all of which are delicious by the way, but can be a turnoff if that's all you're eating anymore).

This isn't rocket science. You can eat anything. For health reasons (not weight loss!), it's a good idea to put some effort into using most of your calories to get some high-quality nutrition. And you probably already know what that means: fresh fruits and veggies, lean unprocessed meats if you eat meat, lower-fat dairy like milk or yogurt or some cheese if you eat dairy, eggs, whole grains, beans, nuts. But it's perfectly fine to use some of your calories on lower nutrient foods if you like them and small amounts keep you happy. You can eat a few cheetohs or cookies or some bacon or ice cream.

If moderation is hard for you, then I advise you to work on it, because you simply won't succeed in the long-term without it. And moderation is a learned skill, not an innate one. You won't help yourself with the cop out that "I guess it's easy for YOU if you can eat pop tarts all day and not gain weight, but don't tell me to practice moderation because I, personally, CANNOT DO MODERATION." Because 1) Nobody around here is claiming that they're losing weight eating pop tarts "all day," and 2) Nobody around here who has been successful is claiming that it was easy. It is hard f'ing work to resist the siren call of stuffing my face with cake every day. It used to be much harder, but it does get easier with practice. That being said, I am having cake tonight. I am able to eat some cake, sometimes and still be healthy and lose weight. Just not all the cake all the time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    All of them!