When to start lifting weights?

Options
SayLiLIG
SayLiLIG Posts: 197 Member
Today, My boyfriend and I are starting our bike workouts... We have a weight bench that I would like to start using but I dont know if i should hold off on starting to lift.. I know I wanna start with 2 sets of 12 on any strength training I do...but should I hold off for a couple of weeks?

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Sooner you start the better. You don't get any benefits from not doing it. I would suggest doing more weight with less reps. Check out this program:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Start now!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    No reason to wait.
  • SweetPrettyBrown
    SweetPrettyBrown Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think you should start soon. However, if you are trying to tone, you should do light weights with higher reps. This helps to tone and build good strength. If you want to lift for bulk and strength, then yes, you should do heavy weights with lower reps. I am no fitness genuis but I have been in the military for 5 years and that is all they drill into your head LOL
  • SayLiLIG
    Options
    thanks guys :) so like 20 pounds at 2 sets of 20 or 30? Or should I lower the pounds?
  • swim018
    swim018 Posts: 15
    Options
    Usually less weight with more reps helps you tone...more weight with less reps help you bulk up.

I would start with lighter weights, go every other day (you have to let your muscles rest), and add weight as you feel comfortable. Definitely start light, though. You don't want to hurt yourself. Also, sometimes light weights may be deceiving and you might feel as though you can do more weight. But if you end up lifting weights too heavy and getting too sore then next day or two (it's always 2 days after that I feel it), you may get discouraged.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    All weight lifting will "tone", whether it is High rep, or low. High rep is more for endurance, Low rep for strength, and muscle gains. Women don't really bulk either. They lack the testosterone to get bulky, plus you would have to be in a caloric surplus to bulk.

Weight lifting will help boost your metabolism, so the sooner, you start, the better. Just remember to give your muscles time to heal. It is when you are at rest, that your muscles are built.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    thanks guys :) so like 20 pounds at 2 sets of 20 or 30? Or should I lower the pounds?

If you can do more than 15 reps, you should increase the weight.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Sooner you start the better. You don't get any benefits from not doing it. I would suggest doing more weight with less reps. Check out this program:

she needs to learn the proper form before she starts doing sets with heavy weight. that being said she shouldn't be using a really light weight that she can get 20 reps with either
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I set a goal to start hitting the weights, when I hit 220 I will incorporate them in my workout
  • hroush
    Options

she needs to learn the proper form before she starts doing sets with heavy weight. that being said she shouldn't be using a really light weight that she can get 20 reps with either

I'm guessing you've never looked at this site. It is all about teaching proper form and starting light. You start with just the bar with this program and work up 5 pounds at a time. I would say for girls if they could find a 25 lb bar it would be better and maybe work up 2.5 lbs or similar at a time.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

I'm guessing you've never looked at this site. It is all about teaching proper form and starting light. You start with just the bar with this program and work up 5 pounds at a time. I would say for girls if they could find a 25 lb bar it would be better and maybe work up 2.5 lbs or similar at a time.

you think someone who has never lifted weights is going to just walk into the gym and jump in the squat rack? i don't think so.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to hold off on lifting weights, unless you have a medical reason or injury. Start with something light, of course, and be careful to not overdo it. Also, please use a spot (your bf can do it for you) - my husband still has aches from a cracked sternum in high school from dropping the barbel!
    Lifting weights is one of many kinds of resistance exercise, which most trainers will tell you is an essential part of a well rounded workout plan. You build muscle, which then burns more calories at your other activities. And you can look lean and toned.
    Just make sure to have a day break before you work the same muscle group again, giving your muscles time to recover (abs are an exception to this, as long as they aren't super sore you can work them every day)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

If you can do more than 15 reps, you should increase the weight.
    ^^^ this

15 reps per set should be the absolute max you ever do. And if you can do more at the end of 15, you're not doing enough weight. Choose either heavy weight (I.E. enough weight to get 5 to 8 reps up 3 times but not able to get any more up) or lighter weight (12 to 15 reps 4 to 5 times, same qualifier as above).

Also what he said earlier is true, so I'll reinforce it, women don't bulk without "help" (think steroids), you guys have a tiny fraction of the amount of testosterone that men have, and that's what builds bulk. You can and will get stronger, but you won't look "jacked" even if you lift really hard, and very precise for months.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

Maybe not quite 20, but for toning, (vs bulking) it's better to do a lower weight where you can do about 15 reps in a set, 3 sets, and get to muscle fatigue at the end. Most women want to tone, not bulk. There's more than one muscle-building strategy.
    Of course, proper form is also important. It's easiest to learn from someone else who knows what they're doing (and can give feedback), but I haven't looked at the site, so I can't say anything good or bad about it.

Oh - and don't forget proper stretching! It's also very important to prevent cramping as well as to build the long, lean look you probably want.
  • hroush
    Options

you think someone who has never lifted weights is going to just walk into the gym and jump in the squat rack? i don't think so.

I'm suggesting that there is a good guide for squats on the website. I would hope she would explore the site and notice the link, "How to squat." Should she have someone that works at the supposed gym spot her and check her form, yes. Could she get by without the spotter and just the guide? Probably, as the guide contains a very good walk through, a video of someone performing the squats, and includes many do's and don'ts. People using this site do it all the time, though of course I would prefer that someone that knows how to squat check her form.

She also stated that she had a bench at home that she planned on using and I was suggesting this site more for a plan for that purpose. Would I prefer her to do everything on the site? Yes, as it provides a complete body workout. Could she get by with just a bench? Yes, as the website explains how to perform squats without a power rack, though using a power rack is the preferred method.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hit the weights! Hit 'em hard! You won't regret it. It's one of the best overall fitness regimens out there. And as previously stated, you won't "bulk up". But you will get stronger and have a more soild core and better fat-burning abilities even at rest. Yeah, I know I look somewhat "bulky" in my photo (at least that's what people tell me), but that's just because I have low body fat, so all the underlying muscular is more noticeable.

However, I only weigh 123 and I can deadlift 255. People don't see that one coming! Good luck!
  • SayLiLIG
    Options
    thanks guys :D I know the correct form for sure though. I went was a member at the Y for some time.. As for reps.. my reps and weights... I did chest press at about 45 to 50 pounds with 2 reps of 8 to 12. Thats what they set for me on the exercise reader (i cant remember what it was called!) I did other weights, but they are the ones you cant do with a basic weight bench. (Back press, hip ...something. you get the idea)