Meditation for stress relief & better health - any pointers?

Options
All - does anyone practice meditation regularly for stress relief? Do you have any recommendations for how to get started, or general tips & pointers? I've made really good progress with fixing my diet and exercise routine, and stress is the remaining health issue I'd like to improve on. Thanks.

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Music helps me. As does the physical setting. I need to be comfy. Chanting/having a catchphrase does help me focus on my breathing. I like to do it when I get home from work. Seems to make a nice transition for me. Just a few minutes at a time to start.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    You can look for an MBSR program near you or a place where people get together to meditate. You can google or youtube some of the common mindfulness meditations such as "Mindfulness of the Breath" "Body Scan" "Mindful Yoga" "Leaves on a stream" "Loving Kindness Meditation"
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Meditation Oasis podcasts are fantastic (and free)!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Meditation noob here. I've done the body scan and the breathing exercise. The breathing is super easy.

http://mindfulnesshamilton.ca/meditation-scripts
  • elliecormier
    elliecormier Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try legs up the wall- literally lay with your butt against the wall and legs up. Focus on breathing in and out through the nose. Both the posture and breathing should relax you. Its good before bed. A good breathing technique is trying to make the inhales and exhales the same length (ex inhale for 4 seconds, exhale for 4). If a thought comes into your brain don't dwell on it, let it pass. If its important it'll come back later. Good luck(: