Breaking through a plato

Options
I'm currently just over 11 stone (156lb) I'm 28 and 6ft 2. I started weight training and bulking in September 2014. I started out at 9stone 13. I'm pretty impressed with my gains as I'm pretty much pure muscle and think that's where the weights come from. I'm eating 3500 calories a day including protein shakes and get all the necessary nutrients my body needs but..... After taking so long to gain and be the heaviest I've ever been I'm stuck. I've tried upping my calories even more and having more protein and creatine but I'm frustrated as my gains have slowed right down. Any advice?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    It appears you're talking about a muscle building plateau. Muscle building plateaus are a bit more complex than a weight loss plateau.

You obviously need the appropriate calorie intake to aid in new growth. Is you're weight going up at all? If it's not, you're not eating enough. If you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough. If you get fat, then that's more of a training issue and a bit of too many calories beyond the point that aids in muscle growth.

In terms of training. It's wise to cycle strength training, with hypertrophy training. Most people train hypertrophy in 8-12 reps. If you been doing that and stalled out. I would take a week off(assuming you been training non stop). Then I would focus on building strength, shoot for 4-6 reps. This will make you strong. Do this for a few months Then start focusing on getting the reps higher. You will be lifting more weight before at the 8-12rep range. This will increase muscle mass.

Muscle growth boils down to adequest nutrition, rest, and progressive overload. Progressive overload can seen in a few ways. It boils down to total volume. Volume = weights * reps * sets. If you're volume is going up you're making progress. You can lower rest times, increase reps, sets, increase weights, lower weights(more reps) etc... many ways to increase volume.

its is actually not necessary "cycle train"…

get on a structured lifting program and follow said program and make sure that the weight on the bar is increasing.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    chud_ wrote: »
    I'm currently just over 11 stone (156lb) I'm 28 and 6ft 2. I started weight training and bulking in September 2014. I started out at 9stone 13. I'm pretty impressed with my gains as I'm pretty much pure muscle and think that's where the weights come from. I'm eating 3500 calories a day including protein shakes and get all the necessary nutrients my body needs but..... After taking so long to gain and be the heaviest I've ever been I'm stuck. I've tried upping my calories even more and having more protein and creatine but I'm frustrated as my gains have slowed right down. Any advice?

what is your training regimen like?

are you following structured program, or a home designed one?
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    chud_ wrote: »
    After taking so long to gain and be the heaviest I've ever been I'm stuck. I've tried upping my calories even more and having more protein and creatine but I'm frustrated as my gains have slowed right down. Any advice?

Train harder bro...

Seriously...change it up the routine...add more volume to your workouts...

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    wait til u get to Aristotle bro

Pu_239 wrote: »
    It's wise to cycle strength training, with hypertrophy training.
    lol wtf
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    plato-zoom.gif
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    In for the Plato.
  • S4Lyons
    S4Lyons Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    @chud_ hey man you need to work on increasing the weight you're lifting and also intensity, i had the same problem as you when i started lifting.. Try out different techniques, stick to a compound exercises routine and try out drop sets, cluster sets....
    Always push yourself for an extra rep or add more weight even 1 kilo
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    plato-zoom.gif

:D:D:D
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload. Embrace it.