anybody do Yoga?

Options
:blushing: Just wondering if anybody does Yoga?
I started tonight doing the Yoga Meltdown by Jillian Michaels.
When I put it in under my cardio it wasn't many calories.

If you do Yoga, do you see it helping you, do you see results?
I just don't want to spend too much time doing something that isn't going
to help me!

Opinions please......

Replies

• missvics
    missvics Posts: 112
    Options
    There are several types of yoga and some burn A LOT of calories, while some types are more just stretching. I researched the different forms to figure out what kind I was doing and then I go to this web site: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc and use their calculator to figure it out. There really should be more options here on MFP but at least you can input your own info.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for you health-wise, but it really isn't a great calorie burner. It's a great routine for early morning to get you started, and a great thing to do after a more intense workout to stretch out and cool down. It does help tremendously with flexibility and agility, and depending on the pose, can build strength and tone muscles.

I do a morning yoga routine of about 10 minutes to stretch out my creaky joints and sore back. It doesn't burn much, but it does a lot towards relieving pain.
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I use Yoga as a strength and toning aspect to my weight loss. And I never thought I would enjoy doing Yoga or Pliates but I am loving it now! I use to think it would be boring and I like to be more active when doing workouts.
    I am starting to see more tone and I am a lil bit more flexible now!

So, Yes I think it can be helpful tool to use in your workout plan!!!
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    :smile: Thanks everyone!
  • ayj73
    ayj73 Posts: 15
    Options
    I just started doing Yoga about 3 weeks ago. I love it and I feel the results. I was very surprised by how intense it was for me. I have toned up a lot thanks to Yoga.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    That Jillian Yoga DVD is INTENSE. You should compare it to Vinyasa Flow Yoga vs Hatha Yoga. Hatha is mainly stretching and doesn't burn very many calories for the time you put into it (but of course, the benefits far exceed the calories burned anyway). But VInyasa Flow is butt-kicking yoga. I see a Yoga Calculator has already been provided. I usually combine the two in Fitness Pal. My class is 75 minutes long. So, I say 45 of that is actual Vinyasa Flow and the other 30 is Hatha (warm up and cool down). I'm in a Yoga Teacher Training program right now so feel free to message me if you have any questions.
  • sarahgh
    sarahgh Posts: 10
    Options
    Try Bikram if you have no bp or heart issues It's intense, and torches calories. If it's to much, rigorous vinyasa is great too.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I do a Yoga / Strength training on the Wii Fit for my strength days. You don't burn a lot of calories, but I think of it as helping to build muscle. It certainly makes me more flexible and focused on my balance. I have been struggling with that -- I didn't realize how unbalanced I had become!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    and by the way the jillian micheal i pretty intense more so the most yogas. i found a website that caculate calorie burn for power yoga, unfortunately the book mark is on my laptop which i left at work
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    and by the way the jillian micheal i pretty intense more so the most yogas. i found a website that caculate calorie burn for power yoga, unfortunately the book mark is on my laptop which i left at work

Good for you for leaving your laptop at work!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've done yoga sporadically for years - and have been attending a weekly class at my gym regularly for the past year and a half or so. It's more of a "general" yoga than what you'd find at a studio. The stretches have kept me flexible and I'm sure the strength moves have helped with toning. We usually do at least 5 minutes or so of "sun salutations" at the end which is more aerobic.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Any weightloss yoga program I have seen is basically yoga on speed. They take the principals of the flow programs and up the tempo. I would count it as general aerobics.
  • MamaKarrot
    MamaKarrot Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I try to do it a one to two times a week on my non-cardio days. It's really great for stretching/toning muscles, and really loosens up your body. But yeah, not a big calorie burner. I am lucky if I burn 200 cals an hour. I also have a major problem with core and balance still, so it helps with that too. :) Nothing was better than taking an actual yoga class. It was two hours on Saturday and man was I sore the rest of the week. It can get your butt into shape depending on how intense the poses and routines you do are.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

Good for you for leaving your laptop at work!

not really , only got through half of my tae bo today a lunch before the battery died LOL. hadnt been plugged in to charge power cord was at home.
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I do ashtanga yoga and love it! There's a bit of cardio, but I consider it a good dose of strength, toning, and balance. I walk away feeling good and like I've just had an on tense massage. Everything is just centered and balanced. I heart it soo much!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I've done yoga and still do. There's a lot of styles of yoga, but most don't seem to fall under cardio. Try looking under strength exercises.

Yoga is great for toning muscles. I would do other cardio as well (unless you can clearly tell it is getting your heart rate up well).
  • MyFriendLinn
    MyFriendLinn Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just joined tonight and I love Yoga. I used to go to the chriopractor 3-4 plus times a month, I haven't been to the chiropractor now in almost four years. I am blessed with am amazing Yoga Instructor. On tuesday nights at my gym there is a high energy yoga class, and you can burn up to 700 plus calories. Every now and then some of the he-man body builders wander into the class and they usually drop like flies before class is over. From the outside, its looks like everything is effortless, from the inside doing the exercises....you are working very very hard....and expect a lean flat stomach for all that hard work. Thursday night at my yoga class, its stretching and releasing tension. Breathing is a great part of yoga, and yoga strengths the core and and the back. Its an over 3000 year exercise program and there are exercises for weight loss, and for specific areas. In 2-3 weeks expect people to start commenting on your weight loss whether you have lost weight or not. I am at my fourth year of yoga (last six months have been intermitted due to death in family, eye surgery and problems with my foot....but I am getting back into it. RE Julian Michaels...she is absolutely the best. I love her and Bob Harper. Consider me a friend, I just joined tonight and yoga twice a week is part of my exercise program. Linn:smile:
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I do it for 10 minutes b4 bed every night- it knocks me out. I find that it doesn't burn as much calories because it's not cardio/aerobics.
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    I never noticed anything but it does help my back at times:sick:
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    I wear a HRM to hot power vinyasa flow and it burns around 400 an hour for me (146 pounds). Some forms are rigorous (like the P90X yoga) others are more "stretching. A HRM is a great way to find out!