changing my fat into muscles

Options
mike8pow
mike8pow Posts: 10 Member
Hi my name is Michael I weighed 250 and trying to lose 40lbs and there my far into muscle any diet tips and workout routines would be helpful

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time outside of gains if you're brand new to lifting. Focus on losing the weight, then start bulking.
  • mike8pow
    Options
    I'm not new to lifting I just haven't lifting in a while and I just been gaining weight on top of my muscle but I'm ready to lose it
  • kamber13
    kamber13 Posts: 249 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I disagree with the above response. You can certainly lose weight while enhancing muscle tone. An important fact to understand is... You can't turn fat INTO muscle.... they are completely different cell types. Fat is adipose tissue which expand (creating bulge) or shrink (creating a lean look). Muscles cells are similar, as you strengthen them they tear and heal creating bulk. I think what malibu was trying to say is muscle cells weigh more than fat cells so you might not see the scale go down as much as you want, but you'll notice your clothing size shrink.

The reason you can still lose weight while gaining muscle mass is because it takes more calories to maintain muscle cells than fat cells. Therefore, if you follow a healthier diet and start a moderate (low weight; high rep; multiple sets) work out routine... you will lose weight and get swoll LOL
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    kamber13 wrote: »
    I disagree with the above response. You can certainly lose weight while enhancing muscle tone. An important fact to understand is... You can't turn fat INTO muscle.... they are completely different cell types. Fat is adipose tissue which expand (creating bulge) or shrink (creating a lean look). Muscles cells are similar, as you strengthen them they tear and heal creating bulk. I think what malibu was trying to say is muscle cells weigh more than fat cells so you might not see the scale go down as much as you want, but you'll notice your clothing size shrink.

The reason you can still lose weight while gaining muscle mass is because it takes more calories to maintain muscle cells than fat cells. Therefore, if you follow a healthier diet and start a moderate (low weight; high rep; multiple sets) work out routine... you will lose weight and get swoll LOL

Your body cannot be in a Catabolic and Anabolic state at the same time, sorry.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

No...in order to gain muscle, you need 1. a progressively-heavy lifting program, and 2. to eat in a surplus. To lose fat, you need 1. to eat in a deficit. So they can't happen together unless in a recomp, which can take a very long time.
  • raphillips028
    raphillips028 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting into the battle above. Just gonna wish you luck! Added
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think from what I've read on forums is that you can build strength in a deficit just not muscle mass; but it'll help you shape up so that when you lose the fat, you'll look "toned" as they say and then you can work on a bulk
  • TinaRawww
    TinaRawww Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know someone who has done both, lost weight while building the muscle. But that debate up above is none of my business L O L, good luck of your journey. You can do it
  • mike8pow
    Options

• mike8pow
    Options
    Thanks I will take all of y'all knowledge y'all have to me and use it my workout plans start tomorrow I let y'all know how I'm doing lmao
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    So you're trying to lose fat so you can see your muscles, and save muscle mass? Eat at a deficit, and lift.