phentermine

Options
Hi guys. I've been taking a half dose of phentermine every morning at 5 am. I do great throughout the day, but by the time I get home, I'm munching a big meal. Idk if this is out of habit. I keep telling my self that I'm not really that hungry, but I fail. Should I increase my dosage to a whole pill?? My job is basically stationery, so I don't want to feel like I need to bounce off the walls

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You will probably find that most people on this forum don't support the use of drugs. I haven't used phentermine at all but what I would suggest is replacing some of your carbs with additional fats, proteins or fiber.

It also seems that you drink a good amount of calories (a few of your days, you have 300 calories or about 1/4 of your calories from liquids). So I would replace that with foods.
  • tfwalt77
    tfwalt77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ya, I was really thirsty today lol. Seriously though, I'm trying to work on that.
    Thanks
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2015
    Options
    tfwalt77 wrote: »
    Ya, I was really thirsty today lol. Seriously though, I'm trying to work on that.
    Thanks

I would try to get more hydration from water or even teas (unsweetened) if you can. Now, I drink milk a lot of days, but I mix in protein powders and that is post workout.

How much fiber are you getting? If you want, change your diary settings to show fiber instead of calories. There is really no reason to track sugar because even if you are diabetic, you should be tracking carbs.

Also, do you workout? If so, what do you do?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    You will probably find that most people on this forum don't support the use of drugs. I haven't used phentermine at all but what I would suggest is replacing some of your carbs with additional fats, proteins or fiber.

It also seems that you drink a good amount of calories (a few of your days, you have 300 calories or about 1/4 of your calories from liquids). So I would replace that with foods.

This. I would be hungry all day too if I drank that much sugar / fat. Force yourself to drink nothing but water, black coffee (no sugar/creamer), unsweetened tea (no sugar / creamer) for a week and see how you feel. Or at least limit your calorie drinks to 1 per day. Add in more vegetables and lean meats. Eat the things you like in small servings to prevent cravings.
  • KatieMusselwhite92113
    KatieMusselwhite92113 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above... ditch the pills, up your water to allot more calories for food, and eat some high-volume, low-calorie options mixed with some lean protein. I think you will notice a difference!
  • kamber13
    kamber13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I also take 1/2 pill of phentermine. I find it suits me just find and wouldn't recommend upping your dose. Of course, it's expensive so that's what led me start with 1/2 pill to begin with.

To help lessen my cravings later in the evening, I don't take it when I wake up, but later in the morning...like 9 or 10AM (even if this meant I have to take them at work). When I feel a strong hunger pang in the evening, I eat a dill pickle spear (5cal), 1 cup of air popped popcorn with light salt (31cal), or a clementine (40cal) before eating my dinner. If I'm craving sweets, I eat a tropical sugar free popsicle (15cal) or regular instant chocolate pudding made with 2% milk. I portion out 1/4 cup servings into ramekins/ or small glass (50cal).

I find if I eat something before dinner or before making dinner, I eat less of the higher calories meal but feel satisfied. I suppose you could also snack on the above suggestions after...if you're able to portion out your dinner to meet your goal, not the intensity of your hunger.

I hope this helps!
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is a prescription drug you should probably ask your doctor.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I took it for a while a few years ago and also did a half dose...the reality of it is, you have to be mentally in the game still...counting calories and eating the right foods. Make sure your calories are from things that will help you feel full protein, whole grains, healthy fats.

My dr. also recommended filling the scrip at Costco...it was about 1/4th the price of the pharmacy I regularly use.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on taking these drugs forever? If not, then you better start to think about learning the tools for long term success. For long term success, you'll need to learn how to portion your meals, and learn how to stay within your daily calories . Quick fixes usually end badly. Most people gain back any weight they lost. No pills can replace hard work.
  • tfwalt77
    Options
    Thanks

I would try to get more hydration from water or even teas (unsweetened) if you can. Now, I drink milk a lot of days, but I mix in protein powders and that is post workout.

How much fiber are you getting? If you want, change your diary settings to show fiber instead of calories. There is really no reason to track sugar because even if you are diabetic, you should be tracking carbs.

Right now I walk on the weekends at least 2 miles. I am working 12 hr. Shifts, so it's been a bit tricky trying to get into the gym.

• tfwalt77
    Options
    kamber13 wrote: »
    I also take 1/2 pill of phentermine. I find it suits me just find and wouldn't recommend upping your dose. Of course, it's expensive so that's what led me start with 1/2 pill to begin with.

To help lessen my cravings later in the evening, I don't take it when I wake up, but later in the morning...like 9 or 10AM (even if this meant I have to take them at work). When I feel a strong hunger pang in the evening, I eat a dill pickle spear (5cal), 1 cup of air popped popcorn with light salt (31cal), or a clementine (40cal) before eating my dinner. If I'm craving sweets, I eat a tropical sugar free popsicle (15cal) or regular instant chocolate pudding made with 2% milk. I portion out 1/4 cup servings into ramekins/ or small glass (50cal).

I find if I eat something before dinner or before making dinner, I eat less of the higher calories meal but feel satisfied. I suppose you could also snack on the above suggestions after...if you're able to portion out your dinner to meet your goal, not the intensity of your
    hunger.

Thank you! I love the pudding idea :) and I Love pickles!

I hope this helps!

• tfwalt77
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Are you planning on taking these drugs forever? If not, then you better start to think about learning the tools for long term success. For long term success, you'll need to learn how to portion your meals, and learn how to stay within your daily calories . Quick fixes usually end badly. Most people gain back any weight they lost. No pills can replace hard work.

I agree. I'm only planning on the pills for a bit. I'm trying to learn portions, etc. I've improved a lot, but still struggle

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are hungry at night because you are drinking most of your calories.

According to your diary you have consumed about 100 more calories than I have today. Here is what I have had...

Breakfast...peanut butter and banana sandwich

Lunch...chicken salad on pita

Snack...hummus on crackers plus watermelon

Dinner...shrimp, roasted cauliflower and broccoli with a spinach salad loaded with veggies plus dressing

For dessert I had a caramel macchiato (sp) yogurt

All of that came to 1235 calories...I still have some to go but honestly...I am full.

I don't think you need to increase your dosage. I just think that you need to make wiser food choices.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Psulemon has given you some good ideas. Definitely try adding some protein to your food choices, as protein will stick with you longer than carbs will and you will feel fuller longer. Pills don't work for the long haul and long-term testing on any pill hasn't shown any of them to be safe. The best method is always going to be to find your best method of eating comfortably and safely, and not using pills.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Thanks

Right now I walk on the weekends at least 2 miles. I am working 12 hr. Shifts, so it's been a bit tricky trying to get into the gym.

You can add in some body resistance training at home if you want to increase exercise. Many of the programs are 20 to 30 minutes. And an increase in exercise also will allow for an increase in calories; by how much will be determined by intensity and duration. I find i need a bunch of calories to be happy so i exercise regularly. Also, i am a volume eater so i find low calorie ways to do so. Ex - instead of eating 5 eggs, i do 4 egg whites and two eggs and add in some peppers and onions. I will also add bacon and/or a low calorie greek yogurt (Dannon lite n fit). This total is around 500 calories and could feed a horse, lol. Also, using lean cuts of meat (chicken, pork, turkey) is another way of getting low calories with high volume, IIRC, an 8oz of boneless chicken is like 240 calories.

You can also look at my diary (minus the last few days as i am recovering from a stomach virus).

• tfwalt77
    Options
    Wow, you are eating pretty good and getting in a chocolate fix I do desperately need. I've never tried the liquid egg whites, but think I will because I love breakfast food but too lazy I guess to separate my egg. Have only been eating an egg or two boiled. And I didn't realize that much chicken was under 250 calories. I am a big meat eater and have been trying to avoid most of it because I thought it would take up most of not all of my calories.
    I do need to get my butt in hear exercise wise, I know I would feel a heck of a lot better.

Thanks

You can add in some body resistance training at home if you want to increase exercise. Many of the programs are 20 to 30 minutes. And an increase in exercise also will allow for an increase in calories; by how much will be determined by intensity and duration. I find i need a bunch of calories to be happy so i exercise regularly. Also, i am a volume eater so i find low calorie ways to do so. Ex - instead of eating 5 eggs, i do 4 egg whites and two eggs and add in some peppers and onions. I will also add bacon and/or a low calorie greek yogurt (Dannon lite n fit). This total is around 500 calories and could feed a horse, lol. Also, using lean cuts of meat (chicken, pork, turkey) is another way of getting low calories with high volume, IIRC, an 8oz of boneless chicken is like 240 calories.

You can also look at my diary (minus the last few days as i am recovering from a stomach virus).

• nylo143
    nylo143 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Try leaner proton options ! You can eat more of it with less calories. Boneless skinless chicken breast, ground turkey, lean cuts of beef, 90-5% lean ground beef,ground turkey.
    I eat 5 egg whites made into an omelette with low fat cheese, veggies and 1-2 slices of turkey bacon for around 200 calories only. Its not only about eating portion, but lean proteins so you can fill yourself up more.
  • psuLemon
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wow, you are eating pretty good and getting in a chocolate fix I do desperately need. I've never tried the liquid egg whites, but think I will because I love breakfast food but too lazy I guess to separate my egg. Have only been eating an egg or two boiled. And I didn't realize that much chicken was under 250 calories. I am a big meat eater and have been trying to avoid most of it because I thought it would take up most of not all of my calories.
    I do need to get my butt in hear exercise wise, I know I would feel a heck of a lot better.

Thanks

Personal preference, I would focus on getting the majority of my calories from fruits, veggies, meats and dairy over most grains. Not because grains are bad, but you tend to be more full with fiber, fats and proteins over carbs (although, i believe potatoes are the exception. IIRC someone recently posted a study suggesting potatoes have some of the highest satiety results) . And once you get your portions under control and fine which foods you can incorporate at which level, you will then be able to get off the pill and do it naturally.

• SnarlToothSeether
    SnarlToothSeether Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The pills are scary...my former boss has permanent heart damage from taking those. She could possibly die very young because of phentermine....ijs
  • mcclarjc
    mcclarjc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I take phentermine but my doctor only prescribed them because I had lost 32lbs of weight in 3 months on my own. They work decent but it is still a battle everyday controlling portion sizes, making good decisions regarding your meal choices and sticking to a workout plan. My doctor did a full work up on me before even prescribing them including blood work and an ekg. I am wondering if Snarltooth's boss's doctor didn't do the same. With any prescription drug there are risks. I don't believe in "diet pills" as a quick fix. Phetermine does nothing but somewhat help cravings but if you are still eating processed, fatty foods and not watching your intake or exercising they do not help what so ever. I think it is a great supplement to a diet and exercise program for those that are severely overweight. I myself need to lose almost 200lbs and I have lost almost 60lbs so far. I would focus on eating non processed foods as much as possible, load up on fresh fruits, lean meats and vegetables and drink A LOT of water.