any ideas how i can make my arms look better?

Options
I have lost 17lbs so far, another 20 or so to go. My arms are looking much slimmer but don't look particularly nice.

nn946mak1t90.jpg

oz98ym076llt.jpg

I already go swimming twice a week, walk every day pretty much, but other than that I'm a complete novice when it comes to exercise and this sort of thing. What should I be doing to improve the look of my arms?

any advice would be greatly appreciated! Anything you have found to work at all? Thanks so much.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Progressive weight lifting

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for women

Take your pick but lift heavy things and put them down again, and then lift heavier things .. include push-ups, pull-ups .. weight bearing exercise

this is alongside continuing to eat at a defecit to reduce body fat
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot about recomp, but looks like you may benefit from lifting some weights. I started with circuit training with Jillian Michaels (30 Day Shred) DVDs... you can start with light weights and build up, as well as get your cardio in. So many folks have gotten great results working out with the program (so did I) that it is worth a try. Only 20 minutes a day!
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You need to be lifting weights to improve your arms and create definition, swimming will help but the weights will make more difference and get you teh arms you want.

You just need some dumbbells and then do various forms of bicep curls, tricep extensions and press/pull downs. Don't just focus on the arms though as to make them really look good you need to work on your shoulders (Deltoids) as well. For those there are lateral and frontal raises, shoulder press, bent over rear delt raise, upright row and the Arnold press. You say you are a complete novice at this sort of thing so either seek help at your local gym or Google can be your friend where you will find videos on how to do all those exercises
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You need to be lifting weights to improve your arms and create definition, swimming will help but the weights will make more difference and get you teh arms you want.

You just need some dumbbells and then do various forms of bicep curls, tricep extensions and press/pull downs. Don't just focus on the arms though as to make them really look good you need to work on your shoulders (Deltoids) as well. For those there are lateral and frontal raises, shoulder press, bent over rear delt raise, upright row and the Arnold press. You say you are a complete novice at this sort of thing so either seek help at your local gym or Google can be your friend where you will find videos on how to do all those exercises

This..
    The reason you work all those different muscles is to have a better overall shape. The very motion of arm movement incorporates various different muscles so you must work them all to have the definition. Don't just focus on bicep curls. An example would be that a lot of people think to achieve great abs you need to do sits ups until you cant move, I believe the best movement for abs is the deadlift as it forces your core to tighten to control the movement much more than the humble sit-up.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    IMHO a decent compound lifting programme will achieve most of that for you and is far simpler for a newby to grasp .. you can focus on isolation exercises once you have that sorted
  • rawk_fairy_666
    rawk_fairy_666 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sorry, had to take my little girl to her hospital appointment.

Thank you so much for the advice. Is there any chance I would be able to do this at home with a simple set of weights? My oh has some. I am just very limited on chances to get out to the fitness centre as I have a toddler to look after. I wouldn't want to give up my swimming time as it's something I love doing, so it would be great if I could do it at home when little one is napping/in bed.

I need to do some serious research and learning I think because a lot of what you have told me isn't making much sense to me at the minute.

Rabbit thank you for the links I will have a read now.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    For your triceps you can do dips off the sofa or dining room chair. So place your palms on the edge of the chair so that your fingers are over the edge, have your legs stretched out in front of you with toes pointing up and lower your body down slowly so that your bum is just off the floor, then push back up. If you find this difficult the place your feet flat on the floor with a 45 degree bend in your legs.
    Biceps... Stand up and curl any weight you can manage, or sit down with your back upright, this will eliminate any potential swing.
    Shoulders again standing or sitting and press the weight above your head. Aim for 3-5 sets of about 8-12 repitions with 30 seconds rest between each set, and just see how you go.
    Good luck
  • rawk_fairy_666
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    For your triceps you can do dips off the sofa or dining room chair. So place your palms on the edge of the chair so that your fingers are over the edge, have your legs stretched out in front of you with toes pointing up and lower your body down slowly so that your bum is just off the floor, then push back up. If you find this difficult the place your feet flat on the floor with a 45 degree bend in your legs.
    Biceps... Stand up and curl any weight you can manage, or sit down with your back upright, this will eliminate any potential swing.
    Shoulders again standing or sitting and press the weight above your head. Aim for 3-5 sets of about 8-12 repitions with 30 seconds rest between each set, and just see how you go.
    Good luck

Thank you very much for this clear and idiot proof advice. It's very helpful thank you.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    You have a small child .. perfect for weight resistance

Lift her over your head, put him down again, squatting as you do it

Lay on the floor and do flyovers

Swing her round your body

Push her on the swings, play tug-o-war

Carry her on your shoulders

:bigsmile:

• Sued0nim
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Look what I found (I didn't watch it but the first list of exercises sounded great)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p28IhcUG740&safe=active

genius :bigsmile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lift, lift, lift.
  • rawk_fairy_666
    Options
    Rabbit. That is pure and utter genius. The video is fantastic!!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Yoga... Great shoulders really help
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Been lifting the whole time and I probably have quite a bit more muscles than OP (I actually like my arms!) but my skin looks the same (which seems to be the OP's problem too). As far as I know, lifting doesn't help with stretch marks...
  • sweetd6
    sweetd6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Years ago I used a book called "Look great sleeveless". It has lots and lots of weight lifting tips and routines, especially for arms. You can certainly do them at home with weights, don't need a gym. Here's a link to the book on Amazon.

http://amazon.com/Look-Great-Sleeveless-Beautiful-Shoulders/dp/B000J3EGL2
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Progressive weight lifting

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    Strong Curves
    New Rules of Lifting for women

Take your pick but lift heavy things and put them down again, and then lift heavier things .. include push-ups, pull-ups .. weight bearing exercise

this is alongside continuing to eat at a defecit to reduce body fat

cosigned
  • KatieMusselwhite92113
    KatieMusselwhite92113 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I also highly suggest a kettlebell for at-home strength training. Obviously can't get as heavy as you could with a bar at the gym, but I have seen major differences in muscle definition from doing kettlebell workouts.
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Body paint?
  • rawk_fairy_666
    Options
    Right I think the plan will be, start the lifting at home using the toddler as well as trying the exercises pelamblue suggested and then move on to barbells/dumbells as I already have them. Then once I have more free time I can go to the gym and try and do it properly with a proper routine.
    Body paint?

I'm not sure if you are trying to be funny or if you are trying to be nasty. Either way, not a very helpful post.
  • remelign
    remelign Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lifting doesn't help with stretch marks, but it does help with loose skin. Apply cocoa butter to stretch marks to help reduce their appearance as you loose weight and build muscle. I've actually found strength training (Starting Strength and the New Rules) to be really helpful in maintaining overall skin tension. I don't have nearly as much loose skin despite losing quite a bit of fat (down 4% bf). My bingo wings are still present, but don't have the "sag" they used to.