new college student! looking for friends :)

Options
jbrod19
jbrod19 Posts: 47 Member
Hey everyone! My name is Hallie and I'm just starting this site today.

I'm 20 years old and 5'9 and 170 lbs and i really want to get down to 145 by the end of the summer. I'm looking for some people to keep me motivated (and for me to do the same!). I'm pretty active -- i go to the gym 4-5 times a week and I try to eat well.

Basically just introducing myself and looking for some fitness/diet friends!!

Replies

• BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Welcome!! I too am a college student, going into my senior year. College had me pack on a few myself. Best of luck!
  • AlanYee
    AlanYee Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm a college student, too (freshman). My classes end in three weeks, followed by finals.

After pigging out, stress eating, and packing on weight like crazy for the first two-thirds of the school year, I joined MFP last month to help regulate my diet and motivate myself to exercise more. Now I'm exercising almost every day. Because I live in a dorm with a very small refrigerator and no oven/stove, I almost always have to eat in the student union, which doesn't offer very many choices, let alone healthy ones. This is why I end up eating many of the same things over and over again. It's not because I want to eat the same things, it's just I have limited food choices, limited space to store non-cafeteria food, and no way to cook in my room. So I can't eat healthy all the time, but I am limiting the portions of unhealthy food and mixing in healthy stuff with meals and snacks.

I've already lost five pounds (two pounds before joining MFP, three pounds after) and after plateauing for a week or two, I'm starting to go down again.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only college student on here!
  • kaclark15
    kaclark15 Posts: 4
    Options
    Join the club... this site really is excellent, but the college life makes it difficult to stay on top of the logging. Thank god for my blackberry or else i would struggle remembering everything. I don't know if you have th same problem, but being away at school and being the stressed, broke college student that i am... is struggle with eating healthy becaause eating bad is so much cheaper.
  • kaclark15
    kaclark15 Posts: 4
    Options
    i think we're in the same boat here!! it is amazing what grocery shopping will do for your diet, but when you walk away with $70 - $100 out of your pocket after buying all the healthy necessities, it makes it hard to stay on top. My goal is to have will power over eating all the junk food at school just because its there...feels good to know im not the only one!
  • ParmidaPR
    ParmidaPR Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey I'm a college student too! I just finished my first year and I want to get down to 145 also, but yea you can do it!! It's hard but worth it!! Think of how fast time goes by, you'll lose that in no time :)
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I just graduated but woudl stil like to connect with you guys. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • jbrod19
    jbrod19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    nice to meet everyone!! :)
  • bonjourdollface
    Options
    I'm a college student too, so I know how difficult it is. I'll add you.
  • wackedoutpet13
    wackedoutpet13 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student too (first year). I'll add you! :)

If any other college kids are looking for friends, feel free to add me. My MFP friend count as of right now is zero, it's very sad.
  • veriviki
    veriviki Posts: 44
    Options
    I just finished my first year of university so I know exactly how you feel!
  • MarieMoJo
    MarieMoJo Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello! Today is my first day on the site as well. I am 5'9 and 180 pounds. I would love to get back down to 150 pounds by the end of the summer as well. I have had a pretty good hold on my weight until 2008 when a series of stress, sickness, and grief propelled me down a road of very bad eating habits that have made me even more sick and stressed. I just graduated college, and I always found myself eating bad food "to keep me going." I wish you well.
  • TessaL221
    TessaL221 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm a college student too (Master's)! I'm also a mom of 4. It's nice to meet you!