72 Calorie Vegged-Out Potato Salad Recipe!

Options
BeckyKSmith
BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
Ok, I am a potato salad fan, and I was saddened by the thought that I will have to give it up forever....not the case! I found this recipe in the 300 recipes under 300 calories Hungry Girl Cookbook. I must say I am very impressed. I am taking it camping this weekend and EVERY other camping trip this summer. Oh, the best part.....72CALORIES FOR 3/4CUP! Here it is!

Salad:
1 Pound potatoes, chopped (I used red potatoes and cut in cubes, then boiled until just fork tender and run under cool water - drain - can use any potato)
Then add:
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup cucumber (had to leave em out - husband hates em :))
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup scallions

Dressing:
1/4 cup fat free mayo
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp sweet relish
1/8 tsp salt

Nutritional info: Makes 8 servings, 3/4 cup is 72 calories, 0.5g fat, 166 mg sodium, 15.5g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 3g sugar, 2.25g protein.

The only thing I would do differently is add a little sugar, salt the potato water, and maybe throw in some diced eggs which would probably kick it up to 100 calories -but still worth it!

Replies

• blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    sounds tasty! i might try it at my barbecue this weekend!
  • dru_howard
    dru_howard Posts: 47
    Options
    This sounds like an awesome recipe - just got that cookbook myself and I was skeptical because I don't like to make "low fat" or "fat free" substitutions - I'd rather just find a healthier more natural option. However, there are a TON of good recipes in that book and many of them chocked full of veggies. I will try this one for the next family picnic/bbq. Thanks!
  • llm12
    llm12 Posts: 49
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this! I am having the in-laws over for a bbq this weekend and have been looking for a healthier version of potato salad.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Thanx for sharing sounds yummy!!!
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I make potato salad the regular way and when I entered mine into the recipe builder on here, it was still only 350 calories per 1 cup serving. Maybe you could just get my recipe from me and still have normal potato salad. LOL
  • BeckyKSmith
    Options
    This sounds like an awesome recipe - just got that cookbook myself and I was skeptical because I don't like to make "low fat" or "fat free" substitutions - I'd rather just find a healthier more natural option. However, there are a TON of good recipes in that book and many of them chocked full of veggies. I will try this one for the next family picnic/bbq. Thanks!

I think you could use greek yogurt in place of the sour cream! Maybe some real mayo thinned out with milk. I added a little milk to my dressing b/c it was sooooo thick. I think that would work well for you and wouldn't push the calories up too high. Have you tried the recipe builder?
  • BeckyKSmith
    Options
    I make potato salad the regular way and when I entered mine into the recipe builder on here, it was still only 350 calories per 1 cup serving. Maybe you could just get my recipe from me and still have normal potato salad. LOL

Only 350? that is almost a third of my whole day!
  • shmoejo
    shmoejo Posts: 37
    Options
    sounds yummy!!
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sounds Great, thanks for the post!!!
  • michelleisgettinfit
    Options
    sounds good. :)
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    Only 350?

lol That was my thought too :P
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    bump
  • BeckyKSmith
    Options
    I just added the nutitional information to the data base :)
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options

Only 350? that is almost a third of my whole day!

Oh, sorry! I'm allowed 1900 a day right now so I still eat what i want just in smaller portions!
  • 707janette
    707janette Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you, that does sound good. I have a big camping trip coming up and I feel like I have to eat different food from everyone else the whole time. I think if I bring this everyone will enjoy it :)