SCALE trouble! ugh!!

Options
Maybe it's just a problem with digital scales vs the other kind. But bought a digital weight watchers scale yesterday and stepped on it a few times and got different readings. So what number do I trust? It was about a 2lb difference in readings! This scale has two metal strips going down each side of the scale. All the directions say is to stand in the same spot each time. Thats hard to do. It reads a lower number when my feet are farther apart. So how do i know which one is accurate? Feet apart or closer together??

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Is the scale on a hard surface?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    My question too ... are you doing this on the carpet or on a hard surface.

And why is it hard to stand in the same spot all the time?
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Stand on the scale in a comfortable and normal position (don't push your feet out or in, just stand as you normally would).

Have someone take a permanent marker and outline your feet on the scale. Now regardless of the scale troubles you will always stand on the same spot every time.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Stand on the scale in a comfortable and normal position (don't push your feet out or in, just stand as you normally would).

Have someone take a permanent marker and outline your feet on the scale. Now regardless of the scale troubles you will always stand on the same spot every time.

Thanks, I had thought about doing that :) Honestly, Ive been reading reviews of this scale and it isnt looking good. Thinking of exchanging it for a Taylor scale. What scale fo u use?
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Is the scale on a hard surface?

Yes
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My question too ... are you doing this on the carpet or on a hard surface.

And why is it hard to stand in the same spot all the time?

Different reading if feet arent EXACTLY in same spot.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My scale will be +4.4 lbs off if it is on an uneven floor. It will error out after I step off of it. Once I correct the problem, it will give me the correct reading.
  • Sandytoes71
    Options
    What scales do u guys use??
  • Machka9
    Options
    I used to have a non-digital scale which, if I used it on carpet, I could make read any weight I wanted just by shifting most of my weight to one foot or other other, or by leaning backward or forward. :smiley:
  • Machka9
    Options
    What scales do u guys use??

Some relatively inexpensive glass digital scale we picked up at ... if I recall correctly ... K-Mart or Big W back about 2010. It's not bottom of the line, but not top of the line either. I can't remember, but we might have spent $30 or $40 on it.

Last time I was weighed at the Dr, I had weighed myself in the morning, then did not eat anything before going to the Dr (maybe just a cup of black coffee), and the Dr's scale gave the same reading as mine at home. I figure that's pretty good. :)