Mom to be and needing advice

Options
:These past 2 weeks I have been sick with a sinus infection, found out I was pregnant and heard some news that has me worried.

I haven't been execising as much and somedays I don't exercise at all. I just feel week, can't breath out of my nose and a little stressed. I know that sound slike a bunch of excuses but that's the truth.

I was doing the C25K program. I got as far as W1D2 and it was kicking my *kitten*. I couldn't run as long as it was telling me to. It physically hurt and I was embarresed on how heavy I was breathing for air. I would walk and that's good but that's not what a 5k is.

I was also doing kickboxing and dancing dvds and doing great. Then all of a sudden I became sick and it was becoming hard to do becasue I couldn't breathe right. At first I was taking chlorseptic spray and that was helping a bit.

Well i figured my lack of motivation was from it almost being my TOM well a week 2 weeks passed and still nothing. So I ran out to buy a test and it came up positive. I had sooo many thoughts and emotions going through my head.

I am happy now that I have a little one on the way and stressed at the same time. I need to get a job now to help out (before I didn't need to work) save up for the baby and look into moving or buying this house instead of renting it out.

The last 3 days I havent broke a sweat nothing. I have like no energy, keep on coughing, and my tatas hurt.

Should I just suck it up and push through all of this or should I take it easy till I am back 100%?

Replies

• SamMommy
    SamMommy Posts: 29
    Options
    I would try to go back to the working out at about 50% for a couple of days and see how you feel. Then go back to 100%. If you are sick already, over doing it will just keep you sick longer.
    Congrats on becoming a mom, it's the hardest job I've ever had( I have 3 kids) but the most absolute rewarding!!!
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    If I were you, I'd take it easy... maybe some swimming or walking but nothing too strenuous. I have three children and each pregnancy totally sapped my energy, especially in the first trimester.
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I do apreciate it.
    I will apply myself at 50% and get up and get moving again \
    It's not going to harm me if I walk in the mornings or evenbings for atleast 20 min at a slow pace.
  • Pheef52
    Pheef52 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    This is totally just your body getting use to the pregnancy. I had the same exact issues before I found out I was preggers. Have you ever had problems with anemia in the past? It will definitely get better the first trimester can be a tough one. Are you actually getting sick or just feeling nausea?
  • blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster.. don't overdo it especially since this is your first and you don't know how your body will deal with the pregnancy... walking and swimming are great ideas :o) Pregnancy changes EVERYTHING with your body, including sometimes vision, foot size, hair texture, and it can even cause swelling of your nasal passages! I know, right? crazy! I guess its preparing you for how the baby will change everything once he or she is here :o) Mostly for the better ;- ) Congrats on the new little one on the way... listen to your body... if you really feel like taking it easy, do so.
  • shmoejo
    shmoejo Posts: 37
    Options
    it will be harder if you stop then start again, i would keep working out just slow it down. My first pregnancy i ran the whole thing through, i stopped with my second and never got back into it and when i did try i gave up. Find something that will work well for your whole pregnancy and keep at it. Even with the sinus infection try a little everyday , take your vitamins and get plenty of vitamin c and zinc!!
  • mbowman323
    Options
    This is totally just your body getting use to the pregnancy. I had the same exact issues before I found out I was preggers. Have you ever had problems with anemia in the past? It will definitely get better the first trimester can be a tough one. Are you actually getting sick or just feeling nausea?

I have 2 children already and I was sick sick with both of them I mean morning sickness all 10 months. I could just look at somethign and get sick. I am sick with a sinus infection and my doctor only wants me usuing nasal spray or hot tea with honey. I do have anemia and take an iron supplement along with my prenatals.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    #1 thing right now is baby. Not trying to scare you, but I was completely naive when I found out I was pregnant last year. After I took my test, I kept running and kept playing basketball (not really, just participated in light practice...I coach). Then when I went to the dr, I was told I had a cyst on each ovary and have a bicornuate uterus. My dr said do nothing besides walking.

Everything turned out perfectly fine and I had a great pregnancy and my baby is perfect.

But my suggestion is walk only, until you go to the dr and get the go to proceed with other exercise....and also after you get a little more energy.
  • Pheef52
    Pheef52 Posts: 254 Member
    Options

I have 2 children already and I was sick sick with both of them I mean morning sickness all 10 months. I could just look at somethign and get sick. I am sick with a sinus infection and my doctor only wants me usuing nasal spray or hot tea with honey. I do have anemia and take an iron supplement along with my prenatals.

Anemia was the #1 reason I was so tired with my daughter by the end of my pregnancy I was on 4 iron pills a day in addition to the prenatal vitamins (yuck). congrats on the pregnancy but like everyone said taking it easy until you feel better is a safe choice.
  • mnlawgirl
    mnlawgirl Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi
    I was very active up until I got pregnant. I did run for a few weeks but then it just became to hard. I did walk but it was hard towards the end. I enjoyed being preggo and I ate whatever I wanted. I guess thats why I gained 60 lbs! I know, ick! I have lost all but 4 lbs. =) Congrats on the little one!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dr or anything, but the soul sucking fatigue I had during my 1st trimester eased up some after I followed the advice to take my iron/prenatal with something high in vitamin C and low in calcium. Apparently that's supposed to help with absorption of the iron. I also tried to eat foods that are high in iron, since, as I understand it, your body can absorb that iron easier than the pill form.

For the sinus infection, do you know what a neti pot is? Mine saved my sanity during allergy season when I was pregnant. I used it every morning towards the end of my shower. It's just a different way of getting saline up you nose, but for me, it was much more effective than the sprays.
  • michellesalmons66
    Options
    Remember that you are pregnant, so the rule I was told by my doctor about exercise is nothing new. If you were already doing something its fine, unless of course you feel like hell. I love both my boys and loved the fact I was pregnant but hated the experience except when I could feel them move. I felt sick the whole time but kept moving. It is wonderful in a way thinking about whom will join your life. Good luck but remeber to keep moving even if its only walking.
  • mbowman323
    Options
    Thank you all for the fed back. I need to not be so hard on myself and come to the realization that it's ok if I take it easy :flowerforyou:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your coming little one!

Nobody tells you this before hand, but the first trimester (from conception till about 13 weeks) are usually awful. Even if you luck out and don't have full-blown morning sickness, the littlest things can turn your stomach, you feel like an alien has sucked out your brain, and your energy levels are sub-zero. Things do get better, generally by 15-18 weeks, although every pregnancy is different. I would say don't push yourself for the first little while. Listen to your body. If you have no energy, then don't make yourself work out. Really, it's not good for you or the baby. If you feel great, then do some LIGHT exercise, but you really have to watch your heart-rate (I don't know the actual numbers, but you don't want to be pushing for the usual 60-80% of max heart rate that you do when you're serious about working out, non-preg) and your body temperature.

Don't worry too much about adding in more food yet. Eat small amounts to stave off morning sickness (for me, it gets worse as my blood sugar drops), and make healthy food choices, but don't stress if you don't eat a lot (most weight gain happens in the 2nd half any way).

When you get into your second trimester, you should start feeling better. I just passed 20 weeks, and am finally getting some energy back. I felt like such a slug, sitting around doing nothing all day, but it's not so bad now. When you feel better, you can get back into a bit more exercise, but talk to your OB about what is good and what is a no-no (my doc said I could golf if I wanted, but it would throw off my swing, lol. But lying on your back for very long, especially later in pregnancy, is counter-indicated, and things with high risk are pretty off-limits too).

The funny thing is, by the time the baby comes, we forget all about the horrible first three months; or at least we do in the first few years, so when we start the process over, it catches us by surprise all over again!