Who likes to bake?

Options
I can't stop baking! This has to be the worst hobby for someone trying to lose weight. I'm a wannabe baker who fantasizes about opening a little bakery of her own, ahhh, sigh... I've always liked making sinfully delicious sweet things from scratch but lately it's gotten a little out of control. I've made something new every week for um... the past 5 weeks!
Here's the running tally so far:
1. Almond Sour Cream Cake with Italian Meringue Buttercream frosting
2. Vanilla Cake Pops
3. Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate buttercream frosting
4. Chocolate Mousse Pie with Oreo Cookie Crust
5. Maple Glazed Cinnamon Rolls

My coworkers love me, so does my husband, but the scale, not so much. I try not to eat too much of what I make because I actually get my high from the process and the reactions from other people. But I do have to at least taste test, right? Anyway, just curious to see if there are other bakers (amatuers, pros, wannabes) that are doing this diet thing and how do you make it work???

Also if you have any really amazing recipes that are actually healthy - please share!

Replies

• lindsay6694
    lindsay6694 Posts: 182
    Options
    i love baking....CUPCAKES! all different kinds and i love finding weird new flavors to mix together. kind of sucks when youre trying to lose weight lol
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I just made some blue berry muffins for my boyfriend and a berry bread thingie for myself.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE to bake, but I can't eat all of what I make! [Well... i COOUUULLLDDDD but I TRY not to. LOL]
    What I usually do is make my boyfriend the "real" version and a fat free/low calorie version for my self, and compare.
    It's how I get through my baking phases.
    But boy is it fun. Cookies, Cakes. Cup Cakes. ALL OF IT!
  • maritimemom
    maritimemom Posts: 192
    Options
    Yup! I love to bake too...but I've had to stop because I have NO self control whatsoever when it comes to sweets. I can't have them in my house! I've been trying to make healthier desserts instead. :)
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I love to make poundcakes. I haven't made one in a while cause I have no self control when I make one. The best one yet was an ameratto flavored with amarato sauce drizzled on top. Now my mouth is watering.
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love to bake. Fortunatly I belong to a church that does over the top coffee hours on Sundays after services. So about every two months I get to bake to my hearts content for that. Plus I have grand kids nearby that I can bake for and a husband that can it and not end up with it on his thighs. Still I am careful about what I bake. I have one cookie recipe that can call me from the freezer. LOL!
  • Nekoashi
    Nekoashi Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'll be graduating from baking and pastry school in June... so I can relate!!! :P When I can't bake something healthy, I just give it away XD One taste is usually good for me :)
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    why don't you make the challange to bake something that lo-cal, and tastes good.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Me!! I love to bake but blame it for making me gain the weight I did. I don't bake as much anymore and usually save it for special occassions or bake for the boyfriend occassionally (made him gain weight too so don't want to do that either because he's trying to lose too). I miss it :sad: . If it was up to me I'd bake something everyday for dessert! haha Or I bake for my father, he doesn't watch calories at all.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    why don't you make the challange to bake something that lo-cal, and tastes good.

Thats what I do! I made a berry bread earlier today, 89 calories per slice!
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I love to bake! But I have no self control at all with sweets in the house, I will continue to pick at them until they're gone.

I've tried making healthier recipes, but I still do the same thing and they usually aren't even as good, but I just can't control myself.

So no baking for awhile :(

On a related note, everyday this week when I've come home from work my house has smelled like devil dogs. I love devil dogs and make really, really good ones, I haven't made them in years and everyday I have a craving for them when I walk in the door!
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think you are already handling it well be giving most of what you bake away. You should be able to fit a small amount of the goodies you bake into your own diet without wrecking it. If you enjoy baking I think you should still do it. Eating Right magazine and their website have some great healthier recipes that you could try and they give nutritional info so it makes it easier for you to track what your eating.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Thats what I do! I made a berry bread earlier today, 89 calories per slice!

Ok, you need to share the recipe for the berry bread. Please.
  • Nekoashi
    Nekoashi Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from MFP, and tried it, and it was AMAZING!!!! You won't be disappointed! :)

Low Fat Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 9 • Size: 1 slice • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 132.9 • Fat: 5.6 g • Carb: 15.1 g • Fiber: 0.1 g • Protein: 5.8 g

non stick cooking spray
    1/2 cup crushed graham cracker crumbs
    1 tbsp light butter, softened
    8 oz package reduced fat cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup sugar
    6 oz fat-free vanilla Greek yogurt (I used Chobani)
    2 large egg whites
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp all purpose flour
    1/4 cup strawberry jam (I used sugar free)

Heat oven to 350°. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with non-stick spray.

Mix together graham cracker crumbs and butter with a fork until evenly moistened. Press evenly into bottom of prepared pan.

Gently beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth using an electric mixer. Gradually beat in fat free yogurt, egg whites, lemon juice, and flour. Do not over beat. Pour over graham cracker crust.

Stir jam until smooth. Drop by small spoonfuls over surface of filling. Using a knife, swirl jam gently through filling to create marble effect.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool to room temperature. Chill a few hours in the refrigerator.
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/925

I use Truvia, instead of Splenda- everyone loved them!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been more focused on main dishes (*pimps my blog* healthydoesntmeanboring.blogspot.com), but I do love baking.

The only one I have up so far is a Peach Cobbler Biscuit/Scone but I'll have to put my thinking cap on for healthy bakery dessert-ish type recipes.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love to bake and decorate cakes and cookies. I don't do it while I'm trying to lose unless I have a specific reason or else I wind up tasting too much. I want to try some new ways to make healthier/lower cal treats but for now it's better for me to skip them entirely for a while at least. .... I saw a recipe on dr oz where they used beans to make brownies and that looked really good to me. I think if I skip the sweets for a few months, then these healthier alternatives will be tasty.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I love to bake! I usually fix goodies then maybe eat just a little bit and give the rest away. It's a win/win. :)
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I love to bakeand can make just about anything.....might like that Almond cake recipe.....
    I make these things called pecan pie bars that are a huge hit at work, they are not a huge temptation for me though so I don't mind making them.
    I do have an almond rocca cookie recipe that is the bomb and something I indulge a bit too much in :)
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    I love to bake, but fortunatly I have kids, especially one teenage boy, and two tween girls. There's enough sugar cravings there that I am lucky to even get a taste!

I try to olive oil vs butter, sometimes I throw in wheat gern or flax seed, or a bit of whole wheat flour. But mainly, I bake it anyway, and just announce it to the kids, and get out of the way!

Who ever said they have a pound cake recipe would they mind sharing? Or message me? I have always wanted to try that one.

Oh yeah , I add zucchini to my baked good and muffins to try to get a little healthy for my kids too.
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I love, love, love to bake and decorate cakes and cookies. I don't do it while I'm trying to lose unless I have a specific reason or else I wind up tasting too much. I want to try some new ways to make healthier/lower cal treats but for now it's better for me to skip them entirely for a while at least. .... I saw a recipe on dr oz where they used beans to make brownies and that looked really good to me. I think if I skip the sweets for a few months, then these healthier alternatives will be tasty.

I'm the same way so I'm trying to take a break from sweets for awhile. And I've heard the black bean brownies are really good! There are quite a few different recipes out there, I havent' tried them yet, but maybe I will down the road.

My mom has a recipe for chocolate chip zucchini cake that she used to make when we were younger, it was DELICIOUS! I need to get the recipe and figure out the stats to see if it will be a healthy alternative.