healthly chicken recipes?

Options
lucybulldozer
lucybulldozer Posts: 27 Member
Something that won't take hours I work a lot of hours and could really do with some quick chicken recipes. X

Replies

• Leighkai76
    Leighkai76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just marinade and grill a bunch on Sunday for the week. Doesn't get much easier than that.
  • lucybulldozer
    Options
    Leighkai76 wrote: »
    I just marinade and grill a bunch on Sunday for the week. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Thank you so much! X
  • nancypnurse
    nancypnurse Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker? I throw a couple of boneless breasts in the cooker, with a half cup-cup of low sugar bbq sauce for six hours on low. Using a fork, shred up the chicken. Eat on whole wheat sandwich thins instead of rolls to cut calories and add fiber. Microwave a vegetable, or have a side salad. The chicken is easy to freeze for future meals as well..
    Another really easy chicken meal is to cook up a bunch of chicken breasts and keep in the fridge. When you get home from work, get 2 cups field greens, 1 T. chopped nuts, and 1T. cheese (feta, goat cheese is good.) Cut up 4 oz chicken breast on top. Add 1T. dressing of your choice-- Voila! Quicker than the drive-thru on your way home from work ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I just bake it in the oven with salt and pepper. 20-30 minutes.
  • Tupeloblossom
    Tupeloblossom Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I season a boneless chicken breast and throw it in a hot cast iron pan and sear on each side then slide it in the oven for 10 min. While it is in oven I saute mushrooms, onions and sometimes bell pepper. Slide chicken onto plate top with veggies and then top with a thin slice of Swiss cheese. Quick, easy and yummy!
  • ReynaDay01
    ReynaDay01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You can get packages of boneless, skinless chicken breast, freeze them, then thaw them for whatever you need. You can grill them with some seasoned salt and pepper, you can cut them into small strips and make a stir fry (I will add the recipe below), you can throw some small pieces in a baking dish with broccoli, instant brown rice, and cream of chicken or mushroom soup for a good casserole.

Chicken Stir Fry
    (Makes 6 servings)
    Ingredients:
    2 Large or 3 medium chicken breasts. Cut into small slices.
    2 crowns of broccoli. Chopped into small pieces.
    3 Tablespoons of Sesame Oil
    (Optional) 1 Tablespoon of Chili Oil
    1/2 Cup of peanuts
    (Optional) 1 can of bean sprouts
    (Optional) 1 can of Bamboo Shoots
    (Optional) 1 Can of baby corn
    (Optional) 1 can of water chestnuts
    Salt, Pepper, Ginger, Garlic, and Soy Sauce to taste

How to make it:

Turn heat to high. In a large skillet or Wok place the Oil(s) and let them heat up. Add the chicken and let it brown. Add the broccoli, bean sprouts, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and baby corn. Let those get done and add the peanuts. Season with salt, pepper, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce. Serve with white or brown rice.
  • lyzistrata
    lyzistrata Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    tadams1254 and I made garlic parmesan crusted chicken last night with couscous and steamed broccoli. It sounds like it's higher-calorie than it is because of the cheese and bread crumbs, but you use so little of each that you get all the flavor without all the extra time at the gym.

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup shaved parmesan
    1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (or any bread crumbs without High Fructose Corn Syrup -- read the label!)
    1 garlic clove, minced
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp dried basil leaves
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    2 8 oz chicken breasts, each cut in half

Preheat the oven to 350* and lightly grease a baking sheet or pan. Add the garlic to the olive oil in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the cheese, bread crumbs, basil and black pepper. Coat the chicken breasts in the oil mixture, then in the bread crumb mixture. Place on the baking sheet. Pop in the oven for about 30 minutes.
    Serves: 4 (4 oz servings)

Meanwhile we cooked tri-color pearl couscous in the "fancy" rice cooker with the steamer basket, and steamed the broccoli while the couscous cooked. You could replace the couscous with any other grain/carb, we just happened to have some in the pantry that we decided to use up.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Grilling is so fast I probably do that the most. Here are some seasoning and a marinade I use. I really like the Piri Piri on lots of proteins.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-seasoning.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-chicken.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/05/no-salt-seasonings.html

I also like to poach chicken. I use Rachael Ray's method. You also get stock to use to make soup, sauces or rice. I use less garlic and onion then she does. I thought her quantities made the end result very garlicky. rachaelray.com/recipes/poached-chicken

I have also baked skin on, bone in chicken breast rubbed with olive oil, garlic and blackening seasoning. When done I remove skin and bone and either eat right away or store for other meals. It is not spicy just real flavorful. Smells wonderful too. 350 for an hour works for me but check temp you want 165 then let rest 10 minutes.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Stir fries, soups, chilli, are all easy and quick to prepare.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com for a lot of great ideas.
  • lucybulldozer
    Options

Thank you :')
  • lucybulldozer
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    Grilling is so fast I probably do that the most. Here are some seasoning and a marinade I use. I really like the Piri Piri on lots of proteins.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-seasoning.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/03/piri-piri-chicken.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/05/no-salt-seasonings.html

I also like to poach chicken. I use Rachael Ray's method. You also get stock to use to make soup, sauces or rice. I use less garlic and onion then she does. I thought her quantities made the end result very garlicky. rachaelray.com/recipes/poached-chicken

I have also baked skin on, bone in chicken breast rubbed with olive oil, garlic and blackening seasoning. When done I remove skin and bone and either eat right away or store for other meals. It is not spicy just real flavorful. Smells wonderful too. 350 for an hour works for me but check temp you want 165 then let rest 10 minutes.

Great help thank you :wink:
  • lucybulldozer
    Options
    I just bake it in the oven with salt and pepper. 20-30 minutes.
    Nice and easy thank you!!!! Just what I need x
  • lucybulldozer
    Options
    Thabk
    Do you have a slow cooker? I throw a couple of boneless breasts in the cooker, with a half cup-cup of low sugar bbq sauce for six hours on low. Using a fork, shred up the chicken. Eat on whole wheat sandwich thins instead of rolls to cut calories and add fiber. Microwave a vegetable, or have a side salad. The chicken is easy to freeze for future meals as well..
    Another really easy chicken meal is to cook up a bunch of chicken breasts and keep in the fridge. When you get home from work, get 2 cups field greens, 1 T. chopped nuts, and 1T. cheese (feta, goat cheese is good.) Cut up 4 oz chicken breast on top. Add 1T. dressing of your choice-- Voila! Quicker than the drive-thru on your way home from work ;)

Thank just what I need fed up of spending hours in the kitchen at half nine at night haha xxx
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

This. I use her slow cooker recipes all the time. I usually am at work/commuting for about 10 hours. That's too long for a chicken breast in the slow cooker. You end up with dry and stringy. Instead I tend to replace breasts with boneless skinless thighs. You can cook them pretty much forever and they don't get dry. My favorite right now is the sesame chicken recipe on there. My family likes it with rice on lettuce wraps.

If you eat pork her crockpot pernil also rocks and her banana bread recipe is my go to.
  • kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    organic chicken drumsticks - 1tbsp olive oil, paprika, salt, pepper, a dash of onion and garlic powder, bake in the oven at 440F for 30mins. so easy. i make a batch of it for the week and eat 2 at a time, skin and all. keeps me full all afternoon (i pair this with a large salad filled with tons of fresh chopped veggies YUM!)

also - pinterest is your bff for healthy quick meals :D
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Besides downright fried chicken almost all recipes for chicken are healthy even fried chicken can be considered part of a healthy diet if it fits your day. So whatever you like do that.
  • louminouche
    louminouche Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    April McKinney (youtube) fajitas recipe:

Breast of chicken with fajitas rub (I use Swartz) cooked without oil in frying pan
    Red pepper, green pepper, red pepper cooked in one tab of oil
    Onions
    1 tab of rub
    1 splash of Worcesterdpshire sauce

Cook rapidly in frying pan, then add sliced chicken.
    Serve with tortilla, sour cream and a bit of cheese. Really yummy.

I have not worked out calories content but enter it as 400.
  • melissa042374
    melissa042374 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is my daughters favorite meal - we call it Ari's Special Chicken

1. 4 small or 2 large boneless chicken breast

2. Can of low fat cream chicken soup & water, I use about 2 to 3 cans of water

3. Brown rice or red lentil pasta

Cook Chicken and soup and water on low in crock pot

Once it's cooked shred chicken in gravy

Pour over rice or pasta

Have a salad or green vegetable or both along with dinner - enjoy and eat!

It's away for you to have some carbs and gravy for low calories - YUMMIE
  • sarahrhinckley
    sarahrhinckley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Take a whole chicken breast and trim the fat as you need. Pound out the chicken until it is about 1.5 inches in thickness and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder on both sides. Place a stir fry pan (large enough to hold the breast) on the stove on high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil onto pan and allow it to heat until the bottom of the pan is evenly coated. Throw the breast on the pan and let it cook on high for one to one and half minutes. Flip it over and turn the heat down to medium low (around a 4). Cover the pan fully with a cover and DO NOT REMOVE THE COVER. Allow it to cook this way for ten minutes. Once this time has passed either: remove from stove entirely if you have an electric stove top or simply turn off the burner if you have a gas/coil stove but DO NOT REMOVE THE COVER. Allow the chicken to remain in the pan for another ten minutes and once the time is up, enjoy!

I cannot stress enough that you cannot remove the cover once placing it on the pan, you just have to trust me that this will cook completely! The ten minute increments give you time to prepare other parts of your meal such as vegetables or pastas and, because the cooking process is pretty hands free, you can cook many breasts at once without worry. I usually cook four or five all at once in two or three big stir fry pans.