more than to lbs a week?

Options
Airbear3
Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
I understand 2 lbs a week are the healthy way but can i move any faster? I count calories and want to continue that way. any suggestions?

Replies

• Pam37841
    Pam37841 Posts: 286
    Options
    They say that the faster you lose the quicker it comes back. Two pounds a week is what most doctors recommend to keep it off.
  • thomasblum
    thomasblum Posts: 4
    Options
    As a matter of physics I would say it's "possible". But, that will take a pretty rigorous workout and diet routine .
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    One of the favorite lines around here is "you didn't gain it in a day, you aren't going to lose it in a day." I believe, unless you have a lot to lose and you're just starting out, that even losing 2 lbs a week can be difficult, especially with just diet.

I lost 2 lbs a week with some intensive cardio, but I don't know if I could have gone any faster than that.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult if not impossible to lose more than 2 pounds of fat a week. That means if you shoot for more than 2 pounds per week you will be losing muscle as well. Since muscle burns calories when you lose it you are reducing your metabolism and making losing more weight harder. Even 2 pounds per week is difficult to do while losing only fat, 1 pound per week is much preferable. It didn't come on overnight, and losing it is generally better slower.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    It's pretty amazing how people from The Biggest Loser lose 10+ pounds within only a week.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how much you have to lose. If you are starting out pretty heavy you will most likely lose more than 2 pounds a week, but if you don't have so much to lose, you might find you are losing slower that this.
    I know it's frustrating to see the scales go down slowly, but there are some things you just can't change and healthy weight loss will always take longer than we want it to!
  • Airbear3
    Options
    Thats what im sayin! but i guess they do workout all day. they can't be eating thier exercise calories!
  • Airbear3
    Options
    weigh in today and lost four! wishin it was 30:sad:
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It's pretty amazing how people from The Biggest Loser lose 10+ pounds within only a week.

If most mobidly obese people ate very little, had a diet plan with no access to junk food and worked out 6+ hours a day then they would lose 10lbs a week too. Its not realistic for the average person.

I always wonder about the excess skin from the fast weightloss. You notice after a certain point they stop taking t-shirts off for weighins and in the final weighin they are obviously wearing some sort of stomach control clothing.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you are starting from. An obese person can probably lose more than 2 lbs a week, but the closer you are to a healthy weight the smaller the loss should be to keep it healthy.

Best wishes
  • Pam37841
    Pam37841 Posts: 286
    Options
    Thats what im sayin! but i guess they do workout all day. they can't be eating thier exercise calories!

Maybe you can help me with this. When I do my calorie count I get very close to dead on because I don't want to not eat enough and put my body in starvation mode. That being said once I put in my exercise, it says I am way under. :huh: So is that why I am not losing? I have not missed a workout in two weeks and my scale actually showed I had gained 2 pounds last week. This week one of those two are gone. Any thoughts?
  • Airbear3
    Options
    MFP suggest that you eat your exercise calories. for example my calorie goal without exercise is 1300 and then i add my exersise and it says i've earned 683 extra calories, so really i'm supposed to eat1983 calories for the day! i had this problem myself until i found this site and started eating my exercise calories. i started this journey 2/21/11 and by may 5 had only lost 13 lbs. i started eating my exercise calories and dropped 4 in 1 week! the science , i've read" is...in my case, 1300 is what i need to eat without exercise to lose weight! when you exercise it burns those 1300 calories, in my case only leaving 617 calories to fuel my body which will let me lose weight until my body gets too hungry and then will go into starvation mode. so now it will eat your muscle because its easier and you've scared into thinking its starving so now its going to store those calories that your eating as fat! thus gaining weight! hope it helps...GOOD LUCK!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

If most mobidly obese people ate very little, had a diet plan with no access to junk food and worked out 6+ hours a day then they would lose 10lbs a week too. Its not realistic for the average person.

I always wonder about the excess skin from the fast weightloss. You notice after a certain point they stop taking t-shirts off for weighins and in the final weighin they are obviously wearing some sort of stomach control clothing.

Sometimes a week is not a week either. Read this three part interview with Kai http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/ and that is one of the things she points out. Maybe that has changes in later editions of it, but remember they want good TV so they can sell more advertising and charge more for it, that means they want people pulling off big numbers. Not that the morbidly obese comment above is wrong. Even now there are times where I lose a lot of weight quickly even eating the same amount as I do every week.