Noob Runner Needs Some Help

Options
So I have a few topics on which I need some help.
1. My trail.
I have a choice of two trails that are about the same length and hilliness. But, one is all asphalt and the other is part asphalt, part gravel, part dirt. Which one would be better for my feet?
2. My shoes.
I am going to be getting some new shoes for running quite soon and wanted to know the good brands. I know that some brands are better than others, but not what brands. Any preference or basic description will help.
3. Clothing.
I was wondering today, is there any difference between running in jeans/cotton pants V.S. the stretch fabric in yoga pants and other running gear. Is one going to be easier to run in? Also, how often do the legs wear out? I have exhausted many a good pair of pants with my large thighs.

Thank you for any help, and tips are much appreciated.

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    1. Why not both trails? It's better to not stick to the same route all the time, mix it up! I will say one trail I run has some gravel, and it's tougher (for me) because the rocks slide, so I just have to be more attentive to my feet.
    2. Shoes-go to a running shoe store and get analyzed for your gait, arch, etc. Everyone does well with different brands depending on their needs. I could tell you what brands I love, but that's very specific to me and my feet and running experience.
    3. Cotton holds moisture and can chaf. Go for wicking fabrics, it'll say on the label. That goes for socks too-no cotton socks!
  • ReynaDay01
    ReynaDay01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will see what I can do for the shoe stuff, but I do remember a wonderful pair of Asics that I had a few years ago so I may have to look into those.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's not brand but fit. Pick the best fit. My first pair of running shoes were Asics and I've just switched to Adidas boost. But it has to do with finding a good anti-pronating shoe (what I need).

Ditto the advice about wicking fabric. Cotton no good. Socks are very important here.

I understand that dirt and gravel are softer than asphalt but I'm a junkie for variety. I'd be doing both runs.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ReynaDay01 wrote: »
    1. My trail.
    I have a choice of two trails that are about the same length and hilliness. But, one is all asphalt and the other is part asphalt, part gravel, part dirt. Which one would be better for my feet?

Doesn't really matter to be honest, the concern becomes more about running form than surface.
    2. My shoes.
    I am going to be getting some new shoes for running quite soon and wanted to know the good brands. I know that some brands are better than others, but not what brands. Any preference or basic description will help.

Best shoes are the ones that are right for your gait, distance, budget etc. What's right for a 6ft1, 160lb trail runner training for half marathons may not be best for you.
    3. Clothing.
    I was wondering today, is there any difference between running in jeans/cotton pants V.S. the stretch fabric in yoga pants and other running gear. Is one going to be easier to run in? Also, how often do the legs wear out? I have exhausted many a good pair of pants with my large thighs.

That becomes a question of comfort, and budget again. When I started out I went and bought some very low cost kit, in case I didn't really enjoy running. Two years later I spend a lot more on my kit.

Jeans are heavy and restrictive, so I'd recommend something different. Wicking fabric helps, as does lighter weight.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are different types of running shoes for different types of runners. If you buy a neutral shoe and are an overpronator, for example, it can cause problems. Buying "cheap" shoes that you can't wear ends up costing much more. If you've never had your gait analyzed at a running store, have it done. They will let you try on the right shoes from a few manufacturers and you can find the ones that are best for you.

Do not run in jeans or cotton t-shirts. Cotton holds in moisture so you'd end up with chafing and general discomfort. Light, wicking fabric is the way to go for running. Shop Old Navy's Active collection if you don't want to spend a lot. I highly recommend the brand. I have sports bras, shirts, shorts and compression capris that I've purchased there over the last 4 years and I've yet to wear any of it out or toss it.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    1. Mix it up
    2. Get fitted at a running store
    3. Moisture-wicking fabrics/compression leggings
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    1. Why not both trails? It's better to not stick to the same route all the time, mix it up! I will say one trail I run has some gravel, and it's tougher (for me) because the rocks slide, so I just have to be more attentive to my feet.
    2. Shoes-go to a running shoe store and get analyzed for your gait, arch, etc. Everyone does well with different brands depending on their needs. I could tell you what brands I love, but that's very specific to me and my feet and running experience.
    3. Cotton holds moisture and can chaf. Go for wicking fabrics, it'll say on the label. That goes for socks too-no cotton socks!

+1 on all of this^

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    1. How likely are you to turn an ankle or similar on the combo trail? If not, use either one, if so, stick to the asphalt for a while. At least until you're not thinking about breathing, form, etc, and can concentrate on your footing.
    2. Shoes are about fit. Go to a store that caters to runners if you can to get fitted.
    3. Yes. Big difference if you're running enough to work up a sweat. Cotton holds on to sweat like nobody's business, and gets heavy. It makes you cold in the winter, and a hot soggy mess in the summer. Also, it can chafe which is not at all fun. You want a nice wicking fabric to stay comfortable as you can be. Personally, I like compression gear because it minimizes vibration. Can't speak to wear and tear. I've not worn any of mine out yet.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Check out Old Navy for decent and reasonably priced apparel. Their pants tend to fit a bit on the larger size in the thighs. When I started out, I found it best to buy pants with a drawstring so my pants didn't fall down while running :)
  • ReynaDay01
    ReynaDay01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Good to know that they haven't worn out. I had a pair of yoga pants that I wore holes in everywhere but the thighs and was hoping that other kinds were like that too.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Draw strings are a must for me!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    1. Alternate using both if you can. Otherwise, they sound about the same (though I'd pick the mixed surface one).

2. Go to a running store and have your gait analyzed. Many excellent brands out there. You need the right model for your feet, no matter which brand.

3. Moisture wicking is a must. Avoid cotton. I wear capri length running tights that have held up well. Shorts or tights are a personal preference.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness why on earth would you run in jeans!!!!!

My favorite thing to run in are my capris with a draw string so i'm not constantly pulling them up. Walmart actually sells some that aren't cotton and work really well for me for like 10 bucks.

My best pair of running shoes are the ones I got fitted for at a running store! It's a must!!!

Good luck and have fun!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    1. Mix it up and run them both. Then find more places to run.
    2. Go to running store; get fitted; run with less chance of injury.
    3. I run almost exclusively in compression tights (winter) or compression shorts (spring, summer, fall). None of mine have worn out. All of my tops and socks are wicking material and again even with regular washing nothing has worn out (well my favorite underarmor short sleeve shirt may be looking a bit ratty after 2.5 years of use - but it is too comfortable to get fid of and who sees me at 4:30 a.m. anyway?).
    4. Enjoy your runs!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1. Do both trails! Alternate between them. The gravel/dirt will be easier on your joints since it's softer, so your body will thank you. Plus changing your surface and scenery will keep things fresh.

2. Definitely get fit at a running store and prioritize fit over brand or cute. Personally, I'm a big Saucony fan, only because their arches = my arches, and they have a wide toe box for my big ol' feet. ;) A lot of my friends wear Asics and Brooks and love them. It just depends on what brands fit your feet and suit your needs.

3. You'll definitely want to invest in some running/workout gear. Workout gear is designed to wick moisture away to prevent chafing, etc. And they won't wear through as fast as something made of cotton/everyday materials. I get plenty of thigh rub, but I have shorts that are 1-2 years old that have seen half and full marathon training cycles and they're still A+.
    Things I recommend you invest in right away: a kick-*kitten* sports bra, good shorts/capris/whatever you prefer, and at least 2 moisture wicking tops. As well as moisture wicking socks, because feet get sweeeaty ;)