My Rant For the Night...

Options
Sorry if I offend anyone...but I am so ANNOYED right now. If people post stuff on this forum asking for information and advice and you don't know what you are talking about...please don't respond. If you haven't researched the question and have no scientific evidence to back up what you are saying, keep it to yourself. I have a degree and am educated in the health/nutrition field and when people ask me question regarding a specific condition that I'm not sure about...I either tell them...I don't have experience dealing with that specific condition, or I do some research so I can legitimately help them. I have seen way too many responses from people that have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Please realize you can be doing people more harm than good if they take your advice on things that you are not educated on.

Replies

• 1111renee
    1111renee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    :drinker: well said :)
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    let it out girl!

& agree 100%.
  • smithke79
    smithke79 Posts: 9
    Options
    Not to offend anyone either, but I totally agree. So many mixed messages, it gets pretty frustrating.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Great points - some of the 'advice' I've seen posted on this site is downright scary.
  • c3lxxx
    c3lxxx Posts: 25
    Options
    That's really good advice....actually it's going to make me think before I answer something. I don't give advice often, but this will make me really think before I speak.
    Thanks again, I'm being sincere, this is not sarcastic in anyway.....ALSO now I know who to go to for some advice ;)

Thanks again,
    Celestan
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    "Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy."

The CYA clause :laugh: which allows anything to be said at any time by anyone on the internet/Myfitnesspal.

Good luck with your wish. :flowerforyou:
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Likewise.... if you have an important medical related question.... ask a medical professional, not a bunch of random strangers on the internet. :huh:
    Seriously, I have seen people ask questions such as "I haven't pooped for a week, what should I do?" and "I get sick every time I eat something, why is that?" Yeah. Go talk to a doctor.
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    Likewise.... if you have an important medical related question.... ask a medical professional, not a bunch of random strangers on the internet. :huh:
    Seriously, I have seen people ask questions such as "I haven't pooped for a week, what should I do?" and "I get sick every time I eat something, why is that?" Yeah. Go talk to a doctor.

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT!!!!!
  • illustri0us
    Options
    Couldn't have said it better myself...
  • veriviki
    veriviki Posts: 44
    Options
    I agree with you, however, I feel like any advice taken from this site needs to be done so with a grain of salt. This site can be completely anonymous, and someone can pretend to be whoever they want to be. It is the internet after all. No offense, but if someone does harm themselves by following advice they found on a random internet forum then that is their own responsibility.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    but the problem is is that people think they know the answer. There is also so much misinformation out there that sounds correct, but really isn't.
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    I agree with you, however, I feel like any advice taken from this site needs to be done so with a grain of salt. This site can be completely anonymous, and someone can pretend to be whoever they want to be. It is the internet after all. No offense, but if someone does harm themselves by following advice they found on a random internet forum then that is their own responsibility.

I do agree with you on that. It just amazes me the people that post stuff and don't know what they are talking about. Why would you even waste your time?? There are times I would like to respond to people to help them and I just can't respond to everyone that I would like to. I guess some people just have a lot of free time on their hands.
  • annastacia10
    annastacia10 Posts: 106
    Options
    Honestly I have actually seen the opposite on here than the OP suggests. I have seen so many posts where the main responses are "go see your doctor". There might be some who try and answer the concerns and offer up suggestions, but by and far, I have seen more responses that are very much directed more at "if you have legitimate health concerns see a health care professional".
  • ColeyCannoli
    ColeyCannoli Posts: 147
    Options

YOU ARE 100% CORRECT!!!!!

Sooooo true. "I can't stop bleeding and I'm starting to get light headed and turn blue" WHY ARE YOU WASTING TIME ASKING THE INTERNET?!
    Sometimes I think it's just for attention. Kinda letting everyone know to pay attention to them XP
  • DerGraf
    DerGraf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ****sigh****

Ain't nothin' better than a smart woman....

:D
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I believe that questions asked on this forum are directed to all of us. It means that anybody can respond, offer comments or share experience. I don’t think responding to a post should be reserved to those who are certified nutritionists, licensed fitness advisors, or hold degree in medicine.

Having opportunity to read the exchanged ideas and presented experiences that can make weight loss struggle easier are great values to me. I wouldn’t want to see it discouraged in any way.
  • nurse_carolyn
    nurse_carolyn Posts: 348
    Options
    There are always going to be people responding to questions and giving there own opinions (whether they have the correct information or not.) I think that people reading the responses need to filter the information and be cautious. This is the internet and alot of people also rely on information they read on wikipedia (which isn't always correct either.)
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options

totally agree! a good rule of thumb is to seek info from as many different "QUALITY"sites. not the national enquirer or simular. If at all possible on this site it would be helpful to post where such advice comes from.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Or you can ask me, cause I can google the hell out of it! :drinker: