foot care - long distance walk / run

Options
RBrigzy
RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi
I am walking about 10 miles a day on average with some longer walks up to 20 miles.
I do seem to suffer from the odd blister still and tender skin.

I have tried coating my feet in Vaseline before setting off, that does help i (I think).

Do you have any foot care tipsbdor me to try?

Thanks

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Do you use moisture wicking socks? If not, invest in some. They'll run you about $10-15 per pair for a set of good ones, but totally worth it. Other than that: keep using that vaseline. I use it for all my long runs and it definitely helps prevent blisters or chafing.
  • KMM17173
    KMM17173 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tape my feet up. It's magic stuff. Saw me through a 50mph wind, constant rain half and a drizzly full. My feet are prone to rubbing when it's wet or hot. I put this stuff on to prevent it and then leave it on after a long run if I feel there may be some rubbing. The folds or overlaps of tape don't rub either. It really is magic. You just can't feel it when it's on. I've recommended it to two other people, one described it as a miracle! Haha!

This is the UK Amazon link but I'm sure you can find if depending on where you are.

Leukotape P Sportstape: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wound-Care-Leukotape-P-Sportstape/dp/B0009Q1OPA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1428410229&sr=8-4&keywords=Leukotape
  • Nonie_S
    Nonie_S Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I also do long distance walks, it's my exercise of choice. I agree that taping your vulnerable areas (you'll know where they are), and rather than Vaseline, I use talc.
  • KMM17173
    KMM17173 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also stay away from the pool when training for a long run. My feet just can't cope! Buggered if I ever fancy a triathlon! Although the tape would probably do the job. Hmmmmm...triathlon......
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There is a discussion about socks here too that has some good advice.

As a hiker, I would recommend a good pair of socks and good shoes. Your foot shouldn't move around much in your shoe and a tough pair of thick socks helps too. My favorites are the wool Darn Tough socks and the thick Thorlos.

The tape is a good idea too- but I think it's more of a back-up plan.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Do you use moisture wicking socks? If not, invest in some. They'll run you about $10-15 per pair for a set of good ones, but totally worth it. Other than that: keep using that vaseline. I use it for all my long runs and it definitely helps prevent blisters or chafing.

Another point for good socks. I have a favorite pair of socks and they shouldn't work at all because they are a cotton blend. But, for some crazy reason, when I wear them I get no blisters. I've tried so many socks!

Obviously, you may have two things at work here, even if your shoes feel comfortable, you may still be having a fit issue that's contributing to the blisters. So, just changing out the socks may not be the answer.

I've gotten blisters on a three mile walk before, but, my 13.6 miles yesterday resulted in no blisters or chafing. It takes some experimenting though!

• minxiemakes101
    minxiemakes101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just been reading all of your advice and I think I may try to combine it all!! My problems are less blisters but soreness in particular areas of my feet as I try to walk at least 1.5 miles a day as I have a lot of weight that needs shifting!!
  • motley_momma
    motley_momma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I never knew there was an entire community on here! Way cool! I too love going on long walks but have been experiencing pain in the bottom of my right foot. Not sure what it is...but I need to start with some type of care strategy as I plan on walking forever...and ever. No really though, I plan on doing the long walk thing for a long while so if anyone can offer any help and support that would be cool. I'm also open to friend requests. Much love!
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I use the Bandaid blister stick between my toes and wherever I tend to get hot spots when running. That's also with moisture wicking socks.

Works great for breaking in new shoes too. I've even rubbed it into the leather around the inside heel of new dress shoes. Magical stuff.
  • RenegadeXO
    RenegadeXO Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think another piece of this discussion is the "type" of shoe you are wearing for the right exercise. I never knew that there was a particular shoe for running and one for walking (they are not the same). I was fitted for some walking shoes and the difference is truly amazing.
  • RBrigzy
    RBrigzy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Fabulous advice I really appreciate you sharing your experiences.
    I have to agree with "Minxie" and will have a go at combining all your ideas.
    What a great community indeed!
    Thank you