vacation

Options
Seanochoa90
Seanochoa90 Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2015 in Food and Nutrition
So I have a question and any input is appreciated. Come Saturday I am leaving for cancun for my honeymoon. The trip is all inclusive (food and alcohol is free). I have just gotten real strict on my diet about a month ago and excersising religiously. I am down 19 pounds. If I straight say screw my diet and eat and drink like a mad man (IF)
. How much of weight gained could actually be from fat and not water and food weight. Am I going to completely ruin any progress. I'm thinking about staying completely strict and not drinking, but I also know that I may not get this chance again. What would you do? Side note- if I do binge I will continue to exercise. Thanks for any input

Replies

• AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Remember that you have to eat 3500 calories ABOVE your maintenance in order to gain a pound of fat. In one week, you could gain a few pounds of fat but you'd have to be pigging out like nobody's business.

If you're worried, just do your best to keep an eye on your portions. Eat until you're satisfied but not stuffed. Last fall when I went to the beach I took the week off from logging and gained a bit, maybe a pound of fat at the most, but the majority of the gain you'll see will be from water retention.
  • Seanochoa90
    Options
    Yeah I started thinking and I probably won't eat so much. I can be responsible about that. It's the beer and whiskey I'm worried about.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Be aware of what you eat and drink, but don't obsess over it. Don't be miserable on your honeymoon. Reduced calories will be there when you come home.
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a great honeymoon -- I say don't stress about it, and enjoy! It's only a week! Drink lots of water (bottled)! Will help with the hang-over too. :)
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I was in cancun 2 months ago ate out every night beer during the day, walked a lot swam quite a bit, did not gain a pound.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    You might come back up 4-6 pounds but most of that will come back off quickly as it will be water weight. From a fat perspective you really can't do much damage in a week. I've been at this for 27 months with numerous vacations and I have gone from restricting myself on the first one to just letting go for a week. Vacations are special!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You can't undo much in a week...most of any weight gain is going to be water and excess waste in your system. A week is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Personally, I've never had an issue on vacation...even though I don't workout really when on vacation, I'm always way more active and move more than I do at home where I trapped behind a desk. I've never gained fat weight on vacation and I'm not particularly careful either.

You will also likely experience airplane bloat.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'd say enjoy your vacation. You might gain a few lbs but it's not the end of the world. Also, your probably going to be pretty active snorkeling, hiking, etc and need the extra cals...
  • Seanochoa90
    Options
    Valid points everyone. Thank you. Appreciate everyone
  • drajbirbal
    drajbirbal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your honeymoon and your vacation. Your body will tell you when you've had enough. Eat and drink it up and you'll recover when you get back, if there's much weight gain at all.