Knee pain / issues

Options
Hi all!

I suffer with my knees mainly after running ... I did a marathon last weekend and whilst they were fine during it as I had them taped up, since then they have been killing and when I try to do anything impact, i.e. squat jumps, burpees etc, it really hurts.

Can anyone offer advice on the best thing to do to help ease them and get them better sooner rather than later?! I'm not sure whether I need to go and see a physio maybe.

Thanks!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Sounds like patellar tendinitis. Overuse is the main cause for it. Best thing to do is just rest till the inflammation resides. Don't go full in when returning to training or it can flare up again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sounds like patellar tendinitis. Overuse is the main cause for it. Best thing to do is just rest till the inflammation resides. Don't go full in when returning to training or it can flare up again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I think this is my issue, I've tried to get back into full on training too soon!! Thank you for the advice :-)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I suffer with my knees mainly after running ... I did a marathon last weekend and whilst they were fine during it as I had them taped up, since then they have been killing and when I try to do anything impact, i.e. squat jumps, burpees etc, it really hurts.

Can anyone offer advice on the best thing to do to help ease them and get them better sooner rather than later?! I'm not sure whether I need to go and see a physio maybe.

Thanks!

When that happened to my dad, we all stood in front of the door with baseball bats and told him if he went running again we'd just whack him in the knees to save time. Do you have kids?
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    There is a knee strap called a patellar tendon strap that you can wear that greatly reduces the amount of pain. NSAID's help as well as friction massage.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure whether I need to go and see a physio maybe.

There's your answer.

It sounds like you had this problem beforehand as well, if you had to tape them up prior to the race. In that case, probably just overuse, so take a break.