It didn't take long - MyFitnessPal rolls out its first paid offering!

Options
124»

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    There's nothing in Premium MFP enticing me to pay $50/year. I have paid yearly subscriptions to some other health related apps, but I find their added features worth the price. MFP just doesn't have what I'm really interested in paying for, I guess.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I just started seeing ads since this launch and a pop up my guess is it will get worse then I will leave and find a new place.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I can't remember ever seeing any adds. It's odd that some do and some don't. ..

no ads here either

Remember that craving for cookies you had yesterday? Oh there's adds alright, you just can't see them sometimes.................
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Given how simple an online food diary is, I don't really see most MFP users paying for premium. There are several other free options for food diaries out there.

If MFP neglects it's free version then a competitor will see the potential and work to capture all the disgruntled users. MFP premium won't be worth much if there isn't a large user base to create the food database and keep the community interesting,
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Ridiculous price for a buggy app. No way.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    A lot of people expect something for nothing not recognising that people are being paid to keep this site developing and consistent. A diet club would have a weekly cost. I've found this site better than any diet club I've tried. Has to be paid for somehow - ads or subscription - at least we have a choice!

What would have happened if facebook had launched "FB premium" and then neglected it's "free" users?
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    No Windows version = Pass.
    Unless waiting for 10? If it comes then I'll think about it. Otherwise, nope.
  • kaemjones
    kaemjones Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'd gladly pay 99 cents/month, but $9.99? They've got to be kidding, right? That's more than I pay Netflix lol
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    A lot of people expect something for nothing not recognising that people are being paid to keep this site developing and consistent. A diet club would have a weekly cost. I've found this site better than any diet club I've tried. Has to be paid for somehow - ads or subscription - at least we have a choice!

What would have happened if facebook had launched "FB premium" and then neglected it's "free" users?

Then the free Facebook would be full of ads... oh... wait a minute... it is!
  • fallenoaks4
    fallenoaks4 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It's wayyyyyyyyy overpriced.

The changes I've noticed since it was offered to me, and no I've not paid a dime, aren't worth $10 a month. Maybe a one time $10 fee for anyone needing extra info (useless to my weight loss), but monthly? Never.

The verified entries are already disappointing me.....solids measured in cups...really? Maybe it changes to weighed entries if you pay lol

Eta: zucchini is where I first noticed ridiculous "verified" entries. I saw 2, 1 has cooked zucchini, quantity 1 squash....really? Zucchini comes in many sizes and who cares if it's not a big calorie item. Some people have to keep calories very close to exact as possible. Another zucchini is for a cup.

On the zucchini cup entry, you can add it and change the serving size to whatever you like - oz, grams, cups, etc.
  • Sandikc101455
    Sandikc101455 Posts: 565 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    When I get to the bottom of the page on the forums, yes I do see a little 1/2"x 2" ad box that scrolls through ad choices. Barely noticed, so really not an issue for me.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    I've been using the free version for a while. Lost almost 25 pounds, keep myself motivated. Not sure what features they're trying to charge for, but I sure don't need them. I can't think of any feature I would want that's not already free except maybe the add removal. I would pay a dollar for that.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You don't even have to pay a dollar for that. Use adblock plus, which is free. I've never seen an ad on mfp or most of the other sites I visit.
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You don't even have to pay a dollar for that. Use adblock plus, which is free. I've never seen an ad on mfp or most of the other sites I visit.

Just to clarify, I would pay a dollar to remove the ads from the phone app. I have Adblock Plus, but never use the MFP website. But yes, I highly recommend ABP to everyone.
  • ahamm002
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »

Then the free Facebook would be full of ads... oh... wait a minute... it is!

Yep, but it's never offline and doesn't have many bugs. I hardly call that neglected.
  • Marbella29660
    Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

The revenue is in the database exploitation, not the user facing experience. That's what UA have purchased.

That said, the freemium model does seem to be in decline, although it's clear that MFP as a company has been pretty fragile for some time now.

MeanderingMammal knows his onions! The data is ours, but we happily give it up, in return for free use of the software. The user database, user logs and interactions is the value and that 'value' has been sold to the highest bidder (in this case UA).

UA will do as they please with it i.e. premium versions, add ons, adverts. And at nearly 500 million they have every right to. I take my hat off to the founders, they offloaded a product such as this for a good chunk of change. :) Smart cookies.... Its been done before and will be done again.