100 pounds to drop

Options
tfwalt77
tfwalt77 Posts: 18 Member
Hi guys. I'm a 37 year old mother of four who has 100 pounds to drop. I had gained some weight when I hit my 30s, but I decided to have one more baby (my other kids were teenagers) three years ago. Well, this time the weight didn't fall off and I've gained some on top of that. Normally I stayed around 160lbs, when I hit my 30s I started hovering around 200, now I have hit 260. I'm not a happy camper.
My blood pressure has gone up. My feet are hurting, it kills me to tie my shoes sometimes. Not to mention the the thought of buying clothes. Anyway.... I visited a weight loss clinic yesterday. I talked to a nutritionist. Have a packet of papers with foods and portion sizes that I need to follow and what I need to avoid. Have been put on a 1200 calorie restriction and been given a bottle of phentermine. Which I am starting with a half a pill a day.
I would like to hear anyone's thoughts and suggestions and would love some company too.

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Loads of people drop that amount just by counting calories and ensuring they are at consistent deficit. You can do it. id say 1200 is quite restrictive and you could still lose weight in a more liveable way just more slowly.

Log your food, weigh it and some execise has other benefits. Be patient, be at a consistent deficit, rinse and repeat. Look at it taking 1lb a week as a rule of thumb for the overall time it might take i.e it will be a slow process over 2 years, rather than expecting to lose it in 4 months. It will be quick at first but slow later.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

is a good start

I didnt use phentermine, and doubt id have taken it if offered but thats a personal choice.

ps good luck.
  • Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Measuring your food and logging it really helps you to stay on track. Adding exercise does as well, you can start with walking, it's amazing how once you start you get excited to keep going more and more everyday. Good luck on your journey, I am rooting for you!!
  • tfwalt77
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure about the phentermine either. I would rather not use it, but I'm not sure if I can be restrictive enough on myself without using it, as I'm hungry all the time.
  • Cacophony1
    Cacophony1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do, do it naturally or via help from the medication the Doctor gave you..BUT, no matter what you do..you have to MOVE aka find some "organized" exercise to do that you will enjoy and actually DO IT...good luck
  • Peanut269
    Peanut269 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a 42 year old mother of 2 who also has 100 pounds to lose.
    I have just steady gained weight all of my life, and have never had the willpower to stick to diets or routines (even when they were working!). I, too, have just been prescribed phentermine but am just trying to work on the nutrition/exercise myself. The meds are super helpful at curbing my appetite. I am actually struggling to get enough calories in during the day..which isn't good either!
    Good luck to you!!
    Keep us posted on your progress--always good to have company-even if it is online :)
  • tfwalt77
    Options
    Thank you everyone
  • rowleypolie
    rowleypolie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Me too!! 100+ to lose, adding you as a friend! I need as much support as I can get
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I am chiming in here because a little over 3 years ago I was a 300 pound couch potato. I now weigh 185 and ran my first race last Sunday. This is possible. I had to find my motivation.

The first step is to realize weight loss is possible. Then you have to know it will not happen overnight.

This is a link to a thread that is not active right now, but I read a page or two almost every day. It really does help me to bring a couple of these sayings with me every day.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10018613/what-are-some-of-your-favorite-motivational-quotes#latest

My goal is still about 40 pouds away. I am working toward my goals. Maybe not every minute but in general I am moving forward.

Best of luck to all of you. B)
  • tfwalt77
    Options
    Thanks
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    At 30 I was 270 lbs. Within 6 months (I have a crazy good metabolism so it's a real crime that I got as large as I did) I made it down to 180 lbs. I'm back up to 195 and trying to slim up a bit but I play 3-5 soccer games a week and am running the Super Spartan race this weekend, things I couldn't even DREAM of 5 years ago. I couldn't even make it from the parking lot to the supermarket without being out of breath some days.

Feeling hungry is fine, SO LONG AS YOU MEET YOUR MINIMUM CALORIES. If you don't meet those then you'll stall out as your body thinks you're starving and will start holding on to every gram of fat it can to keep you alive. What I did was change my mindset. I wanted more than anything to lose weight and that empty feeling in my stomach was a reminder that that was exactly what I was doing. How did I know it was working? Because my belly told me so!

It's not easy but it is simple. Let me say again though, do not go under you minimum calories. It's severely detrimental to both your health and to losing weight.

I'm told you can also find foods that are naturally low cal but can still make you feel full. I just ate the same d**n thing every meal, every day, for 6 months... but I'm crazy.
  • tfwalt77
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • losingitinBC
    losingitinBC Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    hi,I have 4 kids too...43 yrs old.my oldest is 20 and my youngest is 3.I started this journey at 233 pounds,my highest weight ever.I feel your pain.
    After my last baby my 12 yr relationship broke up and he took off for another country so I had sat for 3 years wondering how I was going to do this all alone.
    You may feel hungry at first but you get used to it.Your stomach shrinks a bit.In the morning I grate zuchini and squeeze out the water and add it to my egg with a tsp of sharp cheddar and salt and pepper...whip it all up.totally bulks out the egg and fills the belly more.
    I was so sore all the time at 233.Achey and depressed.I have lost 15 pounds and even that small amount of loss has totally boosted my mood and energy and my kids notice how much happier i am.
    You can totally do this! for real.and though at times its a challenge....it is awesome :)