a thyroid condition

Options
My thyroid count keeps on fluctuating from normal to really high.. No matter how much I try I start gaining a lot of weight suddenly.. I could really really use some tips on diets that work besides my thyroid condition

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing a doctor? And by thyroid count, do you mean TSH or T3/T4?
  • Kate_Bot
    Kate_Bot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's frustrating. I've been there. I hope this is something that you are openly discussing and managing with your doctor. Thyroid conditions are nothing to mess around with. The first step is to work with your doctor to get your thyroid hormones into a normal range. Until that's under control, this will be more complicated.

After that, it's the classic calorie intake (eating) vs. calorie expenditure (movement, exercise and basal metabolic rate).

In the meantime, it doesn't hurt to be aware of what you are eating. Weigh, measure and honestly track everything and emphasize eating a healthy, moderate, balanced diet. Don't get discouraged and fall into bad habits because you're frustrated.
  • shruthu_2996
    shruthu_2996 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    By thyroid I mean tsh and I am consulting a doctor.. But lately.. I had an issue of adulterated tablets.. Can yu believe that?.. And my weight shot up like a jet..again... :( And thank yu so much Kate_Bot... I am definitely going to try my best :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Have you been diagnosed with Hashimoto's?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Have you been diagnosed with Hashimoto's?

^This. It sure sounds like Hashi's messing around. Also, are you seeing an endocrinologist or a GP?

As for diet? Some people with hypothyroidism do better limiting their carbs. For others, it makes no difference.

• shruthu_2996
    Options
    Nope
  • shruthu_2996
    Options
    I'm consulting an endocrinologist
  • Hilda0414
    Hilda0414 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was "subclinical" for several years (yeah, right....) before finally being diagnosed in my mid to late 40's with hypothyroidism. I got the usual Levothyroxin for many years. Now I see a MD who considers herself a functional medicine MD and by working closely with her on increasing my Ferritin (iron) to OPTIMAL range, adjusting my meds to Armour, and eliminating gluten.....my labs (AND the way I feel) are the best EVER at age 61! I haven't bothered with antibody testing for Hashimotos as everything I have read pretty much says if you are diagnosed Hypo, there is an 80-90% chance you have Hashimoto Syndrome, an autoimmune disorder.
  • Hilda0414
    Hilda0414 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This pharmacist is an excellent resource for Thyroid disorders and she is, herself, actually diagnosed. http://www.thyroidlifestyle.com/
  • shruthu_2996
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • Iseulte
    Iseulte Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been there. And I was one of the unlucky ones that actually gained weight with Graves. Appetite went through the roof and I overate. Your best bet is to get your levels stabilized, which may take several months, then take a stab at losing weight if it doesn't start to resolve itself on its own at normal levels.
  • Katsville
    Katsville Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    I can relate to this. Have been diagnosed with Graves back in November and am now on meds. Just like lseulte I put on weight before getting on meds and even more so after! I found that the main issue was being emotional and crazy really (!) so much so that I could not stop myself from overeating. Now that my hormones are managed it is so much easier to control the food intake. So I can definitely say that simple calorie counting with maybe a bit of low carb will help you get through any fluctuations in hormones. However when your hormone levels go up it might be more difficult to stick to your eating plan.
    85219 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    too have that problem. What foods have idione and iron in them. I prefer to eat natural foods rather than supplements.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    85219 wrote: »
    too have that problem. What foods have idione and iron in them. I prefer to eat natural foods rather than supplements.

If you have hashimoto's thyroiditis, then iodine isn't the best option, you need prescription medication.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My thyroid count keeps on fluctuating from normal to really high.. No matter how much I try I start gaining a lot of weight suddenly.. I could really really use some tips on diets that work besides my thyroid condition

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burned.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hilda0414 wrote: »
    I was "subclinical" for several years (yeah, right....) before finally being diagnosed in my mid to late 40's with hypothyroidism. I got the usual Levothyroxin for many years. Now I see a MD who considers herself a functional medicine MD and by working closely with her on increasing my Ferritin (iron) to OPTIMAL range, adjusting my meds to Armour, and eliminating gluten.....my labs (AND the way I feel) are the best EVER at age 61! I haven't bothered with antibody testing for Hashimotos as everything I have read pretty much says if you are diagnosed Hypo, there is an 80-90% chance you have Hashimoto Syndrome, an autoimmune disorder.

Some really useful points here that echo some of my own experience. Diagnosed hypo and pretty much just left to it, felt like I was going crazy trying to maintain a stable weight (and I was eating well, below maintenance, etc), I was still exhausted, still sore. Had first child and thyroid was all over the place post-partum. Finally got a doctor who looked at the whole picture, worked with me to improve absorption of meds through dietary changes, and encouraged me to go on with functional exercise. It worked! I limit caffeine, I have it regularly but just not every day and not more than 2 cups in a day (had 3 cups as a surprise/mistake the other day and the result was a very ill me!), eliminated gluten, low red meat vs more fish and white meat, increased iron, vit D, folic acid and B12/B-complex (vit. D and iron are the key ones for me). Also taking a fish oil supplement with a decent amount of DHA and EHA (I think that's what the acronyms are :D something like at least 120/180). Still enjoy carbs, fats, chocolate and such... :blush: I take my meds at night and that seems to make me feel more alert, I take supplements with breakfast as iron can inhibit absorption of levo.

I did this just to get my health on track and feel well, I left calorie restriction to try and stabilise, it worked and I started losing naturally. Had another child, now I'm 20 weeks into logging to lose baby weight and some remaining weight I was trying to shift pre-pregnancy, I'm 28 pounds down and all going very smoothly and easily.

Everything is just so much easier and more enjoyable when you get some stability in your health, I hope you get some help and more info soon and then with that and with time you will easily see improvement in weight loss efforts as well.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Get an appointment with an endocrinologist, ask all the questions you need until you can understand fully your diagnosis, and then follow dr's orders. Do not follow advice on the internet, it is a simple health problem easy to deal with, but the level of crazy out there and all the fads, it is unreal.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist told me there's no such thing as a thyroid diet. Just learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately and honestly. Logging works.

Did you know MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • shruthu_2996
    Options
    Thanks guys :)