Losing my butt!

Options
Ok so I've been dieting and exercising for over a month and lost almost 10lbs. Anyway I've had a pretty nice butt for as long as I can remember. I mean obviously a lot of it was fat since it's now starting to disappear . Any suggestions ? I work out with kettlebells , I try to do squats but my knees are so bad. Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Keep it up? Fat loss is the goal, right? :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There have been a few threads about this on the Exercise and Fitness board. You might want to look there for good suggestions. My suggestion would be to check out Strong Curves by Bret Contreras. He's known as the "glute guy" and has great workout programs for shaping lower body. As far as specific exercises, barbell hip thrusts activate the glutes more than any other exercise. If you do them along with squats (tons of varieties of those--front squats, zerchers, goblet squats, regular back squats, etc.) and various deadlifts (Romanian deadlifts, American deadlifts, etc.) you will get great results.
  • krissyrey
    krissyrey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think you should start adding some lunges in there as well. Squats are really good, but if you want to keep your butt nice and popping, do some lunges and dead lifts. Start with light weights, and gradually increase it. You will definitely see the difference. The dead lifts once done correctly should have no effect on your knees. All the best!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I think I found it! lol Just keep doing what you can. You can't spot reduce.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not sure how this will play out but I had a butt when I was at my ideal weight. I had one when I was at my highest. But somehow in the process of losing, it seems to have disappeared. I am thinking that once I am at goal again and everything has "evened out," it will re-appear. We'll see . . . :laugh:
  • krissyrey
    krissyrey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There is also two other moves you could try. They are called donkey kicks, and fire hydrants. I found these on a youtube video to get a brazalian butt lift!!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you can have mine.....
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Just start doing Squats, that will solve all your problems.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Since you have "bad knees" work with a trainer around form if you are going to take the advice above about squats.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Just remember that as long as you're eating at a calorie deficit you're not really going to build muscle no matter how heavy you lift. That doesn't mean the squats, deadlifts, etc., aren't a good idea, because they will help you maintain what muscle you have, but until you start eating at maintenance or a surplus you won't be able to really build your butt up, as I understand it.

I hear you though. I never really had one to begin with but I at least used to have a bit of roundness from all the skiing I do, but lately when you look at me from the side it's honestly STRAIGHT DOWN from my back and then a little dip in to my thighs. It is the saddest looking thing I've ever seen on my own body and once my wedding is over and I'm not cutting calories anymore I seriously need to try a little bulk and do some major eating and working out, because it is awful.
  • Allelito
    Allelito Posts: 179 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well, I don't see how maintaining the muscle she has is a bad idea, even if it's not much. I'd say keeping as much lbm as possible would be the way to go.

Edit: Misread it, my bad! :) But yeah, you won't build muscle until you're eating at a surplus, but I'd still do squats!
  • pavich87
    pavich87 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!' I really appreciate it:)
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Try skaters.... those work the glutes for real!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RuxhVJ4-pg