Eating restaurant portion food?

Options
ok so here I'd my thing... People always say "don't eat out it's so unhealthy for you!!" well... What if you have a grilled chicken salad (protien and veggies), baked potato (starch), and a fruity desert at say... Chili's or Fridays. It technically I'd healthy since you are eating a balanced meal in nutritional value, but you still may go over or ferry close to your calorie goal. Why wouldn't that be ok to do even though the food could be considered alright to eat. ( and I know ppl will say it's fine to do every once in a while or once a month but idk..)

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    When I go out, I know that I'm more likely to not get the most nutritious food. Even grilled chicken or fish could be cooked with butter or something that adds hidden calories. And salads can add up surprisingly quickly when you add cheese, olives, bacon, dressing, whatever.

I do try to make a healthier choice (although sometimes I just have to have the onion rings!). My other strategy is that I eat slowly and talk with family or friends as much as I eat, so that I register being full sooner. I generally plan, going in, that I will be taking food home (this is why I try to avoid all-you-can-eat, you always end up eating too much because you want to "get your money's worth" and you can't take any home). I usually eat about half of the main course and take the rest home. Most restaurants serve way to much anyway, and I've been training myself to stop eating when I'm satisfied instead of cleaning my plate. (Plus you have some yummy leftovers for another night)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eating out is part of my lifestyle (not every week but often enough) and I don't intend to change that. I just try to make a healthier choice - steak or fish with a salad or veges for example, and I'll ask for the sauce on the side.
    This way I can see what I'm eating whereas if I order pasta or a curry you really can't see what is in there.
    I also pay attention to the portion and don't necessarily eat all of my meal, specially if it has lots of extras on the side like bread, mash, rice etc.
    I know it won't be as healthy as if I cook at home, but I'm happy to accept this as part of continuing with life while making healthy choices and changes! Or sometimes, it's just fine to have something that I know is really not good for me (last weeks dinner or deep fried vege nuggets and red thai curry chicken with white rice for example!!) as long as I enjoy it and don't do it again too soon!
  • emilytgs24
    emilytgs24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    calories in, calories out. The better you eat the more you can eat. the less nutritious the food the less you can eat. Chicken and veggies vs a pizza. With that being said-you can eat out whenever you want!!!!! Food is food. You can even have fries. Just make sure it fits in your calories. If you are going to eat out more than every once in a while it's probably a good idea to make better choices. So no fries...sorry. When we were in weight loss mode (I've been in maintenance for a year) we boycotted restaurants without nutritional information. And we would split meals lots of times. I have Mexican food every Friday night. :) I have a taco or 2-chicken and a salad instead of the rice and beans. YUMMM! If I want something with more calories I skip my snacks during the day or have a smaller lunch.
  • ali06013
    ali06013 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Some salads can be very, very fattening - even thought it seems healthy. For example, the 'Caribbean Salad w/ Grilled Chicken' at Chile's has 610 calories, 25 grams of fat, and 14 grams of saturated fat. To me, for a salad, that's outrageous. No salad I've ever made consisting of lettuce and grilled chicken ever contained that much fat, and typically not that many calories. Paired with almost any side dish, like a baked potato or small dessert, the majority of the population will go over their calorie goals for a meal by a large margin with this kind of salad. It would make a difference if you skipped the dressing entirely, maybe.

Just something to think about.
  • RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345
    Options
    calories in, calories out. The better you eat the more you can eat. the less nutritious the food the less you can eat. Chicken and veggies vs a pizza. With that being said-you can eat out whenever you want!!!!! Food is food. You can even have fries. Just make sure it fits in your calories. If you are going to eat out more than every once in a while it's probably a good idea to make better choices. So no fries...sorry. When we were in weight loss mode (I've been in maintenance for a year) we boycotted restaurants without nutritional information. And we would split meals lots of times. I have Mexican food every Friday night. :) I have a taco or 2-chicken and a salad instead of the rice and beans. YUMMM! If I want something with more calories I skip my snacks during the day or have a smaller lunch.

I don't care about losing weight anymore I'm just maintaining. On salads I always take off cheese, egg, and bacon. I ask for dressing to the side so I control how much goes on my salad. And fries? Umm yeah I scarf them down hahaha only if I'm out once in a while
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Restaurant salads can be some of the worst things on the menu. Maybe ask for the nutritional guide when you go to out to eat and see. When I go to restaurants I always order what ever I want and ask for a to go box to be brought out with my food. Then, I put a proper portion on my plate and the rest in the to go box.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I made tonight my "cheat" night. I went to Buffalo Wild Wings. I got boneless wings with ranch. And 2 margaritas. And a Bud Light. I regret nothing. Back on track tomorrow.
  • LeanaJo
    LeanaJo Posts: 85
    Options
    When I eat out, I basically just eat half of what's on my plate and take the other half home for the next day. I still keep my weight down and not starving myself either.

Everything is okay, as long it's in moderation and small portions (and no 2nd helpings).

Just eat half, take the rest home, and eat that the next day for lunch.
  • LeanaJo
    LeanaJo Posts: 85
    Options
    I made tonight my "cheat" night. I went to Buffalo Wild Wings. I got boneless wings with ranch. And 2 margaritas. And a Bud Light. I regret nothing. Back on track tomorrow.

I think that's perfectly normal and great. No need to starve yourself or no need NOT to enjoy yourself, once a week. I think 1 time a week (or every other week), it's great to "cheat" a little and enjoy yourself. You're always going to go back on track the next day anyway. Why not?...

By the way, I love Buffalo Wild Wings too (but I don't drink. But I do have an O'Doul's there if I'm there)! We have one where I live...LOL!
  • RichGebs
    RichGebs Posts: 345
    Options
    I love wings too!! Haven't had them in soooo long. Im just ganna eat everything on my plate tonight im still under my calorie limit shockingly!!!! haha