fish oil

Options

Is fish oil good for muscle building I heard you start to smell bad after you take do I really need this

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I take nordic naturals cod liver oil for all the health benefits, mainly to reduce inflammation in my joints. My doctor recommended it and I notice that many people into fitness do take it. In fact most of the successful people I know in fitness take it. So far it's not making me smell bad lol! As for the muscle building - lift weights! But I know you already know this :wink:

16440072.png
  • mike8pow
    mike8pow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do lol thanks
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have been taking it for almost two months and I do not smell bad. It makes your burps tasteweird for a couple of hours afterwards but I had one person tell me thats how you know its good lol!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and eat in a calorie surplus.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of quality variations in fish oil, many are not fishy smelling and I never heard of someone smelling bad. Mostly people are concerned with taste.

Most people take this due to the omega 3 fatty acids you get. It probably won't have any relationship to direct muscle building. However there is some ongoing research that suggests it may help reduce triglycerides which can reduce your risk of heart disease. Other claims are potentially lowering cancer risk, improved bone strength and elevated mood.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Muscle building, no. That comes from a surplus of calories and a progressive weight training program. Health benefits such as improved HDL and LDL's, potential. Some research suggest that it can lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.

Here is some research on fish oil
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    jenjay8045 wrote: »
    Yeah I have been taking it for almost two months and I do not smell bad. It makes your burps tasteweird for a couple of hours afterwards but I had one person tell me thats how you know its good lol!

I only have this problem if I don't take my fish oil pills with food. If I take them with breakfast - like I usually do - no problems.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Fish oil will not help muscle building but it can have other good health benefits. Fish oil can leave a funky aftertaste sometimes or you get like a left over taste if you burp. Krill oil doesn't have those side effects.