Building muscle: Need female friends who lift! :)

Options
Hey,

I'm currently trying to add muscle, just started my fitness journey in Jan...looking for any other females who lift to befriend, support encourage and share advice. :)

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Add me! I LOVE lifting.
  • lesleyb3368
    lesleyb3368 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebells a couple of times a week and am gradually increasing the weight - keep doing the weight training!
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I lift 4-5x/week. Feel free to FR me. :)
  • rachelyahyah
    rachelyahyah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Me too I lift 4-6 times a week...I'm loving it. But get so confused about the food part and body fat percentage part and if I'm eating enough or not eating enough or should be bulking or not bulking. Lol it's making my head hurt.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 5 times a week, I'm in maintenance.
  • lrdavenport23
    lrdavenport23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use to do a lot of cardio, but now I've started lifting heavy about 3 times a week.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 4 times a week. I'm in maintenance for a little while to break a lifting plateau.
  • Happylybre
    Happylybre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Lifting makes me feel like super Strong.... :) I just started lifting again about a month ago... you can add me if you like....
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    There are lots of lifting groups on here and the following are pretty active ones that cater to women: Strong Lifts 5x5 for Women, Women Strength Training, and NROL4W. Are you following a program?
  • just_a_jessi
    just_a_jessi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    add me! I'm also trying to get into lifting heavy. I've been training jiu jitsu for 18 months and lifting on Mondays - love the difference it makes in how I feel!
  • rpalacio
    rpalacio Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Me too! I need support and tips for muscle building! Thanks! :)
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I Crossfit 4x a week, I love lifting!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I lift 3-4 times a week.
  • VegasFit
    Options
    There are lots of lifting groups on here and the following are pretty active ones that cater to women: Strong Lifts 5x5 for Women, Women Strength Training, and NROL4W. Are you following a program?

I don't follow any of these but they are constantly mentioned on the threads but what makes them specific for women?

• MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    They are just MFP groups for women following those programs. They offer support like posting in the forum to get female friends that lift or are putting on muscle. The programs themselves aren't necessarily for women. New Rules does have a book specifically targeted at women but its premise is that women and men exercise the same way and the workouts can be used by anyone.

• VegasFit
    Options
    They are just MFP groups for women following those programs. They offer support like posting in the forum to get female friends that lift or are putting on muscle. The programs themselves aren't necessarily for women. New Rules does have a book specifically targeted at women but its premise is that women and men exercise the same way and the workouts can be used by anyone.

Cool. Just wondering why they felt the need to inlcuded the word women in the titles. I've never followed a specific program and my current lifting routine is the same one my boyfriend does.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »

Cool. Just wondering why they felt the need to inlcuded the word women in the titles. I've never followed a specific program and my current lifting routine is the same one my boyfriend does.

For the most part, the programs aren't different. It's mainly to try to break the mindset that women will get bulky if they lift. The creators of these programs market them to women, then when women follow them and realize they don't suddenly turn into she-hulk, the women then branch out and realize they can lift just like men. (This is just my guess on it though, so I may be totally off base.) For example, NROLFW is really similar to NROL. The difference is the women's book contains a few modifications (like starting weights to use and nutrition info).

And to the OP, I lift a few times a week.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

definitely nothing about the women in those groups is "easy" or "lighter" than what men do. Most of them can probably out-lift your boyfriend.....just a group of gals getting gal's perspective. My husband can spot me, but he can't help me with a good bra for lifting, gloves to fit my smaller hands, the way my deadlift is more painful after I gave birth to my last baby....etc.

• cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I lift 6 days a week and am starting a bulking phase this week. Would love to have more friends who lift. Please feel free to add me. :smiley:
  • VegasFit
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »

definitely nothing about the women in those groups is "easy" or "lighter" than what men do. Most of them can probably out-lift your boyfriend.....just a group of gals getting gal's perspective. My husband can spot me, but he can't help me with a good bra for lifting, gloves to fit my smaller hands, the way my deadlift is more painful after I gave birth to my last baby....etc.

I wasn't implying that. Just trying to understand why they felt the need to specifiy they were woman only programs which is what I get from reading the titles. But like someone else mentioned it's a good marketing ploy. Lol. Haven't had kids so can't relate to that aspect and I didn't know there were special bras for lifting?