Dieting

Options
Has anyone tried the military diet plan and did it work for you? would you say doing that is an okay start to getting yourself on a weight loss plan to gradually eating better and healthier.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No. And I'm never going to try it, because it's not sustainable.

Just count your calories, a lot of people just jumped in like that. No need for stupid diets.
  • Chewitz
    Chewitz Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Not good... definitely not good

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Try that plan and, chances are, you'll lose weight. But it's not because of any kind of fat burning chemical reaction between the foods. Rather it is because you will be eating at a caloric deficit. Here's a breakdown of Day 1 from the military diet website along with calorie counts.

Breakfast
    1 cup coffee (2 cal)
    1 slice toast (110 cal)
    2 T peanut butter (190 cal)
    1/2 grapefruit (27 cal)
    breakfast subtotal = 329 calories

Lunch
    1 cup coffee (2 cal)
    1/2 cup tuna (120 cal)
    1 slice whole wheat toast (110 cal)
    lunch subtotal = 232 calories

Dinner
    3 ounces any meat (168 cal)
    1 cup green beans (44 cal)
    1 small apple (80 cal)
    1 cup vanilla ice cream (130 cal)
    1/2 banana (60 cal)
    dinner subtotal = 482 calories

Daily total = 1043 calories

1043 calories is a very low calorie plan. There are very few grown adults who need to eat this low in order to lose weight. A much better plan would be to determine your caloric needs (e.g., fill out your MFP profile accurately, log your exercise correctly), determine a reasonable weight loss rate, and then eat according to it. Don't look for a "diet plan" beyond "eating the right amount of food to fuel my body." From a nutrition perspective, absolutely learn how to balance your nutrition on a daily/weekly basis. But don't think that you have to cut out all fun foods or eat a magic fat burning combo of them in order to lose weight. It's unnecessary and doesn't teach you good long term weight management skills.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple great newbie threads..........

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

To lose weight you simply need to eat less calories than your body uses. For me that's portion control. I didn't get fat because I ate this...or I didn't eat that. I got fat because my portions were too big.

Moving more helps my body "spend" more calories. Something as simple as a pedometer and a daily step challenge will help.

Unless you have very little weight to lose...pick something sustainable. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint, it's going to take awhile. A "diet" implies a temporary thing.....that temporary thing doesn't prepare you for the day when you have to maintain your new weight. Lifestyle changes prepare you for that.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I tried it 1.5 times (I gave up mid-way the 2nd time) and I will always try to put in my 2 cents when someone asks about this diet. Don't do it! You will be hungry all day, everyday, for 3 days!! You'll have no energy, you won't be able to focus, you'll be grumpy/impatient, and all you will obsess about food. Yes, I lost weight, but also gained a couple pounds back. It's hard for me to believe people who say they've done it and didn't feel hungry, had energy, etc. It's just not a good idea.