17 min mile

Options
So I love running but I haven't done it in over a year now I'm starting with a 17 min mile...
best way to improve? (I use a treadmill)

Feel free to add me as well...could use runners support

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Great job on getting back to it :) I do around 5.2mph, I aim for longevity rather than speed. My advice would be just add a few mins more to your run every day, you will get stronger and fitter and before you know it you'll be doing more than you ever though possible :smile:
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Keep running and keep pushing yourself. As you build up your cardio it will be easier to run faster/longer. Losing weight really helps too. Google and follow a couch to 5k (C25K) program for a good start to running :)
  • jessicatombari
    jessicatombari Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Hey! I think if you have the chance you should definitely try adding in a run or two a week outside. The treadmill does not help you to recognize or create a pace because it makes the pace for you. Also you use less of your hamstrings on the treadmill since you dont really have to push yourself off the ground like you would on a trail or path. In my opinion best way to create your own pace and improve on it is to at least get in a run outside every once in a while, in addition to the treadmill if you prefer that more :)
  • MRivera422
    MRivera422 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Keep running and keep pushing yourself. As you build up your cardio it will be easier to run faster/longer. Losing weight really helps too. Google and follow a couch to 5k (C25K) program for a good start to running :)

THIS^
    I am getting back into running and I am on the third week of C25K. The program so far seems to be working. I would definitely recommend running outside over inside on the treadmill. Just keep running and work on going longer without stopping.
  • addismommy1024
    addismommy1024 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone...the hard part is when i work out is during my daughter's nap time so it is easier to work on the treadmill and with my husband's busy season he gets home late and that time is very important to be together as a family.... plus to be very honest the hugest thing for me is when your 245lbs running where the public can see me just makes me feel uneasy...
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    A 17 minute mile is just far as a 4 minute mile. Well done! Just keep at it.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options