Building muscle: Need female friends who lift! :)

Options

Replies

• luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    But get so confused about the food part and body fat percentage part and if I'm eating enough or not eating enough or should be bulking or not bulking. Lol it's making my head hurt.

I lift 3 times a week. So much loose skin I wish I would of started sooner. I want muscles. I see the women figure and physique competitors and think "Wow, I want arms like that." I am lucky that hubby likes a toned look. I just hope I can get there.
    As for the diet, I get confused too. I am trying to build more muscle and have really made an effort to eat more protein. I still wonder if it is enough. I figured out why so many people turn to protein shakes, it's hard for me to eat that much meat, when I am not a fan. Not a vegetarian, just not a big meat eater.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    Jennloella wrote: »
    VegasFit wrote: »
    They are just MFP groups for women following those programs. They offer support like posting in the forum to get female friends that lift or are putting on muscle. The programs themselves aren't necessarily for women. New Rules does have a book specifically targeted at women but its premise is that women and men exercise the same way and the workouts can be used by anyone.

Cool. Just wondering why they felt the need to inlcuded the word women in the titles. I've never followed a specific program and my current lifting routine is the same one my boyfriend does.

definitely nothing about the women in those groups is "easy" or "lighter" than what men do. Most of them can probably out-lift your boyfriend.....just a group of gals getting gal's perspective. My husband can spot me, but he can't help me with a good bra for lifting, gloves to fit my smaller hands, the way my deadlift is more painful after I gave birth to my last baby....etc.

I wasn't implying that. Just trying to understand why they felt the need to specifiy they were woman only programs which is what I get from reading the titles. But like someone else mentioned it's a good marketing ploy. Lol. Haven't had kids so can't relate to that aspect and I didn't know there were special bras for lifting?

The programs themselves aren't "for women," though. The MFP groups are - they're created by users here, not any company.
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Now that I have lost the few lbs I'm looking into starting a strength/weight training. Ahh, where to begin is tad overwhelming. I'm seriously considering getting a personal trainer to guide and motivate me. You may add me! :)
  • nakima
    nakima Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 4to5 days a week I also love lifting, so feel free to add me as well :) Ive been on a cut for abt 3 months will probably continue as long as my weights are moving up or at least staying the same. I will start bulking again in a couple months. losing fat building muscle thats what Im talking about lol!
  • thaoXLIV
    thaoXLIV Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to start lifting, too. So if I add any of you randomly, this is why!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy 4-5x a week - feel free to add :)
  • vypressme
    vypressme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Achoo
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I pick some things up now and again.

And every once in a while- I put them down.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I also think last I checked I was a woman too- but I think the verdict is still out.
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Former heavy cardio bunny turned lifter! I still do run but I now lift 2-3x a week. Following StrongLifts 5x5 :)

Feel free to add me, ladies!
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just started tracking my lifts!
  • Anji002
    Anji002 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I lift 2-3x/week and run (aka therapy) 2-3/week. I love how lifting makes me feel and when people comment on me looking big and strong, I can tell them that I actually am!
  • rachelyahyah
    rachelyahyah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the feedback and info..and I think I added everyone I here ha.

Yes I am following a plan, I've been just learning on my own for the past few months with questions answered by some I know who have worked out a long time...but I need more insight and I'm a visual learner...so meeting up with a trainer next week to hopefully get some answers, feedback, support and help me stay motivated. Although I know it's all entirely up to me how far I go.

Thanks everyone and hope you all killed your workout today!
  • gvokoun
    gvokoun Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    [I'm trying to figure out all the nutritional intake ratios that are best for me right now. Just getting a handle on losing too much weight. Always had a fast metabolism and now with less muscle mass, I really need to stay ahead of this. I want to get back into weight training with a strong emphasis on nutrition. I'd like to tap into what you are learning. Thx, Gina
  • lilygarcia3
    lilygarcia3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I wish I could lift, my strength is so poor. Definitely need friends in the east coast. Maybe NJ? Do you have any tips?
  • rachelyahyah
    rachelyahyah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I wish I could lift, my strength is so poor. Definitely need friends in the east coast. Maybe NJ? Do you have any tips?

Just start lifting! I'm working through an injury from a car accident a few years ago that didn't heal properly....I used to be sore everyday after a year of physio...only thing that has helped and made a difference is lifting weights! That's how you get stronger. :) just a suggestion.
  • glenyrt
    glenyrt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently started lifitng heavier and its a slow process. My main concern is not getting hurt and keeping good form. The weights area at my gym is overrun with men who rather chat it up than get to work. I wish more women would lift and stop it with the daily 45 minutes of cardio. So kudos to you for choosing to lift. Its addiciting and before you know you'll have muscles you didnt know you had
  • JoRocka
    Options

I don't understand what do you mean "I wish I could lift"

just go do it. It doesn't matter how strong or weak you are- you just get in there and start at a weight that's managable. if you can't pick it up it's to heavy.
    If you can pick it up only once- i'ts called a one rep max- and as a beginner- that's ALSO way to heavy.

if you feel like you can pick it up and repeat the lift 20 times- it's way to light.

Secondly- look up new rules of lifting for women, strong curves- starting strength, strong lifts.

those are all beginner programs to get you started.

If you don't attend a gym- and you prefer body weight workouts
    body by you
    you are your own gym
    convict conditioning

all body weight progressive programs so you never truly NEED to step foot in a gym- its' just that weight training is more researched and more information and more widely accessible.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    add me
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 days a week following a programme called Power Muscle Burn. Also coming to the end of my first bulk and then I'll be back down to maintenance and eventually a cutting phase. Feel free to add me but please include a message of some sort. Happy lifting everyone!