I am concidering a Triathlon

Options
Jillatha
Jillatha Posts: 85 Member
As I am loving the fitness and I am making it my mission to enter races for charity the thought occured to me while I was swimming can I enter a Triathlon? I have found this category

Race Category Distance Category Explanation
Super Sprint 400m Swim / 10km Bike / 2.5km Run Everybody competes in an open age single sex group

Today I did a 600m swim followed by a 4.24km run. That is more than the race! Only a 10km bike ride in the middle. Seems doable to me? What do you think???

Thanks In Advance

Jillatha :)

Replies

• chic_mama_25
    Options
    I want to do one too - I did a Sprint distance one by myself for practice and it is totally doable. I'm a bit scared by the thought of actually entering one though.

Maybe I will find a Sprint one to enter in July (really busy with moving house and stuff at mo!)
  • chic_mama_25
    Options
    btw I think the Sprint distance is a little more than the Super Sprint, 1km swim / 10km bike / 5km run
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I started doing triathlon last year, and it has been transformative.

I recommend following a tri-specific training program. I will help condition the body for some of the challenges of triathlon, like running off the bike.

It is a wonderful sport. I think you will love it.
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Totally doable, go for it... My gym is about to do a dry one with a row rather than the swim, and I'm looking for somewhere to do one with a swim.

What follows is...
    Sprint Triathlon - 750m/20km/5km
    Standard Triathlon - 1500m/40km/10km
    Middle Triathlon - 2.5km/80km/20k
    Ironman Triathlon - 3.8km/180km/42km
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I started doing triathlon last year, and it has been transformative.

I recommend following a tri-specific training program. I will help condition the body for some of the challenges of triathlon, like running off the bike.

It is a wonderful sport. I think you will love it.

Any links to programs? :D
  • Jillatha
    Jillatha Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    http://www.thelondontriathlon.co.uk/LTRaceDescription.html

There are several PDFs with training for the stages and ALL the details I found here :)
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I'm doing the Ironman in November. Triathlons are fun! Do it! :)

What follows is...
    Sprint Triathlon - 750m/20km/5km
    Standard Triathlon - 1500m/40km/10km
    Middle Triathlon - 2.5km/80km/20k
    Ironman Triathlon - 3.8km/180km/42km
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    go for it!

live-in-the-now!
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You should definitely do the Women's Triathlon! I just finished a Danskin race in Orlando. Sally Edwards was there cheering us on! It was a lot of fun and very motivating. They hold the series in select cities all across the US. Also, Trek does a Women's Triathlon Series that Sally Edwards is involved with as well. This was my third sprint distance race, and I had a blast!
  • caseygrimley
    Options
    Go for it!
    I did my first one just last weekend with no training on the swim and bike. And I am NOT a swimmer...granted it was only a novice triathlon that I did with a nephew at the last minute cause his mom got sick, it was way fun, in fact my wife and decided to do sprint triathlon at the end of July.

Go to trifind.com to find triathlons near you. I was surprised at how many were going on in my area.

Good luck!
  • lcorzatt
    lcorzatt Posts: 2
    Options
    www.trinewbies.com has lots of good information as does www.active.com

I did my first tris last year and learned how to swim in order to do them. The first one was an all-women's and the second one was men and women. The atmosphere at the all-women's was more relaxed than the second one. Both were fun, but I am only doing the all-women's this year.
  • Amy_Do
    Amy_Do Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi there - I have done a couple of triathlons last year and I loved them - they are totally doable but I would recommend training in all three areas as well as doing a couple of brick sessions (running after riding) legs are generally heavy after the ride and it takes a few kilometers to get them back. I did sprint - 400KM swim - 18K ride - 5k run. Last year myself and my training partner trained for an olympic triathlon 1.5k swim - 40K ride 10K run however the even was cancelled which was a little heartbreaking - at any rate triathlons are great and I loved doing them having done any this season hopefully next season I will get a couple more under my belt. There are some really good sites out there with training programs to follow which may be useful we looked at one and tailored it to our needs and what we could actually do. Good luck and enjoy..
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bump